Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Ford to reduce models available in North America

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   GlennR

GlennR

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 79 posts
  • Region:Canada Ontario
  • LocationBrampton
  • My C-MAX:2016
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi 2016

Posted 26 April 2018 - 04:32 AM

https://techcrunch.c...d-focus-active/

Ford today announced it will phase out most cars it sells in North America. According to its latest financial release, the auto giant “will transition to two vehicles” — the Mustang and an unannounced vehicle, the Focus Active, being the only traditional cars it sells in the region. Ford sees 90 percent of its North America portfolio in trucks, utilities and commercial vehicles. Citing a reduction in consumer demand and product profitability, Ford is in turn not investing in the next generation of sedans. The Taurus is no more...

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   fotomoto

fotomoto

Energi Member

• 1,243 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationSouth Texas
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX

Posted 26 April 2018 - 06:37 AM

The next 5 or so years in the industry are going to be very interesting.

#3 OFFLINE   GS Dave

GS Dave

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 176 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationJupiter, FL
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi

Posted 26 April 2018 - 07:34 AM

I think this is very shortsighted, but it is Ford. LOL  Sedans have always been low margin compared to trucks, but still demand ebbs and flows with gas prices.  

#4 OFFLINE   komondor

komondor

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 466 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • Locationdenver
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX Energi

Posted 26 April 2018 - 04:30 PM

So it also sounds like they are dropping EVs too since there are not too many Electric or PHEV SUVs that really matter?

#5 OFFLINE   raucous

raucous

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationPNW
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi

Posted 26 April 2018 - 10:24 PM

So it also sounds like they are dropping EVs too since there are not too many Electric or PHEV SUVs that really matter?

Ford said as part of this announcement that they're still committed to exploring hybrid-electric powertrains - including for SUVs and trucks. But I saw 4 different sets of numbers and dates in the 4 different articles I read about this announcement, so I don't think they're being very crisp about when or what.

This announcement was for the North American market. Ford's "electrified" vehicle announcement in January stated that some of the vehicles were targeting the Chinese market. Given that I'm not sure that this statement on pulling back from cars in the North American market can be taken as a statement that they're cutting back on EV plans. More information from them would be nice.

I've been through this dance before on owning a car that's been discontinued. That was also a Ford (a Fiesta) and getting parts and service was very difficult starting half a dozen years or so after production stopped. I'm not going to be happy going through that again.

#6 OFFLINE   GlennR

GlennR

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 79 posts
  • Region:Canada Ontario
  • LocationBrampton
  • My C-MAX:2016
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi 2016

Posted 28 April 2018 - 02:19 PM

I've been through this dance before on owning a car that's been discontinued. That was also a Ford (a Fiesta) and getting parts and service was very difficult starting half a dozen years or so after production stopped. I'm not going to be happy going through that again.

Yes, I've been through that before as well and it's not pleasant. I think I'll trade in my C-Max in a couple of years while it still has some value. 

#7 OFFLINE   GTIguy

GTIguy

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 74 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationDenver
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:2017 C-MAX Energi Titanium, 2014 C-Max Hybrid (daughter's car)

Posted 02 May 2018 - 12:04 PM

This is a dad-burned shame. But I have to admit that I didn't give any sedan much consideration; I'm a hatchbacker from way back. Who wants to stand out in the rain/sun/snow while you grab your stuff? I won't miss the sedan profile, but I'm sick of everything that's jacked up with huge wheels and high-chair seats. 

The truly stupid move would be to walk away from one of the best hybrid powertrains available. If the hatch drew me to look at the C-Max, it's what's up front that sealed the deal. It wouldn't take much to raise the C-Max chassis, butch it up -- wait, that's an Escape -- and drop in this package. Let people know, with actual advertising, that this one has power as well as economy. You might even have me back in the showroom. But please, the EcoSport won't cut it. Now that's a "penalty box."

#8 OFFLINE   marlowefamily

marlowefamily

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 52 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationSan Diego
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:2017 Energi Titanium w/ Moonroof

Posted 08 May 2018 - 08:38 AM

I think Ford's plan is that they will have plugin hybrid variants available for all of their SUV's and most of their entry level trucks (ranger, f150) and that crossovers are the new sedans.

That said, I think they are stupid to make such a big announcement at once rather than silently discontinuing models over time -- all it did was reinforce to the public that Ford is losing $ on car sales and won't be there long term.   Sedans are also starter cars for new families and Ford may end up losing SUV/truck sales long term if they don't catch young buyers with cheap vehicles.  And, it's silly to discontinue the Fusion which is popular or expect Americans to buy the Chinese made Focus.

That said, when Ford has a plugin hybrid version of the Edge, we'll buy it.  I'm also debating expedition versus truck, but no hurry there, as it will be 2022 or so before Ford has plugin variants available with decent stats.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·