Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

HVB, my expectations are proving to be correct

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   dwdwone

dwdwone

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 34 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationFort Worth, Texas
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford C-Max Energi

Posted 24 July 2018 - 08:49 AM

Well, I am not an expert on this car, but I have been driving it for 3-4 months now and I am getting around 28-29 miles per charge. I have a 2017 Energi Titanium with 6K miles.  I do get 5.5 Kw of battery power from a charge. As Rbort says, charge, reset trip 1, drive local till HVB is used up and read trip 1 stats for KW used. Mine says 5.5 KW on the trip 1 display. If yours is not close, your battery has degraded and that will reduce your EV miles. Compared to a new battery, the percentage is  "your KW"/5.5 KW X 100.

So the secret to getting more miles is:

1.  Don't use AC or heat. No accesory power except running lights and radio.  Wipers draw power too, but have to use in the rain, but your milage will go down in the rain. I drive with windows open as long as its in the 70's or low 80's. When I turn on the ac I usually turn on the motor too.

2. Brake easy or not at all, accerate slow, stay off the highway. You won't get upper twenties if you drive on the highway. The slower you drive the more EV miles you will get. I drive 24 miles one way to work on 2 lane roads going around 35-45 mph. Going 65 reduces my miles by at least 5.

3.  I was getting low 20ish miles, then I used Low gear all the time for a couple of days, and my EV miles jumped up to upper 20's. This is speculative, but batteries can develop resistance to taking charge, and if you apply a higher than normal voltage to them the resistance can be broken down. I know when you use low, you get max regen charging to the battery, and that can be pretty powerful. I speculate that "conditioned" my battery a little better and I was accepting more charge at night on the charger. I do know I don't use low full time anymore and I still get the same 29ish miles.  I typically only use low now down a really long hill or when getting off the highway.

4. Keep your tires pumped up to 38-40 psi. Also you must be on different tires, which can make a big difference in miles due to rolling resistance.

Many of the forum members run mid 40's to 50 psi in their tires.  Not sure you want to jump that high?  Try moving upward 3 psi and see how it feels.  Also, the car is a hybrid.   The well known names on this forum normally do not try to drive first in EV only as long as possible.   They flip between "auto" and "EV later".

I'm thinking that because I have a 2013, maybe my battery has degraded,

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#42 OFFLINE   dwdwone

dwdwone

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 24 July 2018 - 08:54 AM

So here's an update which may help provide helpful to others here.

On Saturday I had to drive from Fort Worth to San Antonio. I kept an eye on the "leaves" as Raj suggested, and noticed that as the temperature rose above 100F (it got as high as 115F at one point), it didn't matter a lick how much energy I'd kept in my HVB, I still got the message on the MFT screen that the car was charging due to the battery getting too hot. As the temperature dropped below 100F that evening, the "battery hot" message - which I posted an image of earlier in this thread - went away,

#43 OFFLINE   ScottB

ScottB

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationMassachusetts
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:2017 CMAX Energi Titainum

Posted 24 July 2018 - 09:24 AM

On Saturday I had to drive from Fort Worth to San Antonio. I kept an eye on the "leaves" as Raj suggested, and noticed that as the temperature rose above 100F (it got as high as 115F at one point), it didn't matter a lick how much energy I'd kept in my HVB, I still got the message on the MFT screen that the car was charging due to the battery getting too hot. As the temperature dropped below 100F that evening, the "battery hot" message - which I posted an image of earlier in this thread - went away,

What temperature are you talking about?   Outside temp or are you measuring battery temp some how?

Also when you say the car was charging due to the battery getting too hot, I don't think that is correct. If you are driving when you got that message, it means the car has turned the engine on and is either in hybrid mode, or not using the battery at all because its temp is too high. From what I understand Ford shuts down the HVB at 113 F to protect it from serious damage. If it is 100F outside temp, it is very likely your battery temp is much higher and is getting to the 113F limit. That will trigger the message you are seeing.

#44 OFFLINE   dwdwone

dwdwone

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 24 July 2018 - 09:49 AM

What temperature are you talking about?   Outside temp or are you measuring battery temp some how?

Also when you say the car was charging due to the battery getting too hot, I don't think that is correct. If you are driving when you got that message, it means the car has turned the engine on and is either in hybrid mode, or not using the battery at all because its temp is too high. From what I understand Ford shuts down the HVB at 113 F to protect it from serious damage. If it is 100F outside temp, it is very likely your battery temp is much higher and is getting to the 113F limit. That will trigger the message you are seeing.

The creen says charging due to

* Acceleration
* bat temp

The outside temp averaged 109F most of the day. The inside temp was 78F, or at least that is what I set the AC thermostat for.

#45 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,182 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 24 July 2018 - 09:57 AM

You need a scangage to see the HVB temp and the inside cabin temp (not the AC set point).  The inside temp is always warmer than the AC desired temp.

At 100F its a lost cause to keep the HVB cool.  Its impossible to do best to not drive the car if possible and leave the battery empty.  If no choice don't charge the battery during the hot weather and drive in hybrid mode.

Texas is very hard on EV cars in general due to the excess heat.

-=>Raja.

#46 OFFLINE   dwdwone

dwdwone

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 25 July 2018 - 07:47 AM

Ah, but even if I don't charge the HVB I still get the same Bat Temp message. Sounds like I'm going to have to pay a visit to Ford :{

#47 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,182 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 25 July 2018 - 08:58 AM

Its just too hot outside, 100F the battery never gets a chance to cool.  If you don't charge it and try to use the engine try to keep the engine running more often than not, as if you cycle hybrid mode on the highway (charge/discharge constantly), it will heat it up more.  Keeping the engine running when you have a chance means tapping the gas pedal to reignite the ICE once the downhill section is over instead of having the car cruise in hybrid mode on battery until it can't any more and then restarting the engine automatically.

Good luck,

-=>Raja.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·