Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Considering buying a used C-MAX

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Jcarr24

Jcarr24

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationLos Angeles
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:Honda Accord

Posted 16 April 2018 - 10:40 AM

Hi, we were considering buying a used C-MAX, and have found one that seems pretty good. It is a 2013 and is fully loaded. The only problem is that I saw a lot of complaints about the 2013 cmax and I was wondering if we should pay a bit more money for a 2014 which seems to have fewer problems. The 2013 is a hybrid model while the 2014 is a plug-in. The 2013 also has pretty low milage at 39000.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   stolenmoment

stolenmoment

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 293 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationBoston
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:Maxwell Smart

Posted 16 April 2018 - 02:38 PM

Personally, I much prefer the plug-in, but my commute is well within the electric range.  If your daily drive is longer than about 20 miles, it will only make a small difference.

That said, I picked up a used 2013 almost two years ago, and it's been essentially trouble-free except for the recalls.

And the 12v battery dying when I loaned the car to a friend...

#3 OFFLINE   Tom_NC_1

Tom_NC_1

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,054 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNC
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 302a

Posted 16 April 2018 - 02:50 PM

Both the Pug-in and Hybrid were introduced in 2013. There were several recalls that mostly related to updates in software. There were also a number of people(Myself included)  with 12V battery longevity issues that seem to have been addressed in later years. In this forum the preference will always be to go with a plug-in. My 2013 plug-in has performed well for 69k miles with 48k of those miles in EV.  So if you plan on lots of short range traveling and want to make the most of the 20 or more EV miles per charge go with the Plug-in. For long range driving either the Energi or Hybrid will still work well and you would be driving in mostly Hybrid mode.

The changes in the car over time have been minimal. The biggest change was in 2016 when SYNC 2(Microsoft) was changed to SYNC 3(Apple). I have had numerous issues with the entertainment  over the years that cleared by either shutting the car off for awhile or by pulling a fuse to cause a reboot. It reminded me of the times I had to fix a Microsoft Windows computer with a reboot. I don't have experience with Sync 3.

Hope that helps a bit.

Tom

#4 OFFLINE   komondor

komondor

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 455 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • Locationdenver
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX Energi

Posted 16 April 2018 - 05:28 PM

Attached File  cmax.JPG   104.96KB   0 downloadsyou don't mention the price right now there are great deals on the Energi as it is an Orphan

Look at the prices here  add in the federal and possible state tax  credits and it could easily be worth buying a less well equipped car

https://www.cargurus...rsModified=true

#5 OFFLINE   RubyMax

RubyMax

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 674 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationNortheast Ohio
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi, 302A, Pano; Focus Electric

Posted 16 April 2018 - 05:53 PM

I have had ZERO issues with my 2013 Energi, and for me, a Plug-In was a no brainer.  Of the 48K I have driven, nearly 35K were electric miles, something that could never have been accomplished with a STANDARD Hybrid.  I've saved almost $2000 on gasoline by driving electric miles too.

<script> </script>

Edited by RubyMax, 16 April 2018 - 05:56 PM.

#6 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,974 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 16 April 2018 - 08:15 PM

I would say always get an Energi/plug-in doesn't matter the commute distance if you have a battery you have alot more options open to you than just a hybrid battery.

I have a 2017 Energy and I'm averaging 77mpg since last July.  It goes up and down depending if I drive EV or long distance on gas but so far its risen to this level and seems to be "stable" meaning this is a good average for my type of driving.  If I had a hybrid you can guarantee at least a 30mpg drop in that average as you need to start the engine even to go to the store in your town.

-=>Raja.

• RubyMax and Jonathan Ezor like this

#7 OFFLINE   ShoulderThingThatGoesUP

ShoulderThingThatGoesUP

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 145 posts
  • LocationEmmaus, PA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi

Posted 17 April 2018 - 08:39 AM

I have a 2013 Energi and I would buy whichever year you get the plug-in option if you're going to plug it in and not have a weird use case like only driving it for 300-mile trips. For my driving mostly around my small metro area I hardly use gas. The early issues were software problems, so make sure to get all recalls and other updates done at a Ford dealer as soon as you acquire it.

#8 OFFLINE   Jcarr24

Jcarr24

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 17 April 2018 - 12:32 PM

Thanks all for the response, but our living situation won't allow us to plug in the energi every day, because of that, we would only get a C-MAX if it would retain a charge for a few days until we could charge it next. We found that we only drive it about 8 miles a week ( we have a short commute) and we could only charge it about 3 times a week. Anyway my question is; I this situation, could we drive the Cmax energi on electric only power for our daily commute?

#9 OFFLINE   Jcarr24

Jcarr24

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 17 April 2018 - 12:32 PM

Thanks all for the response, but our living situation won't allow us to plug in the energi every day, because of that, we would only get a C-MAX if it would retain a charge for a few days until we could charge it next. We found that we only drive it about 8 miles a week ( we have a short commute) and we could only charge it about 3 times a week. Anyway my question is; I this situation, could we drive the Cmax energi on electric only power for our daily commute?

#10 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,974 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 17 April 2018 - 02:47 PM

Of course, you don't have to charge it every day.  8 miles a week means like a mile or 2 commute?  If you charged it then it should last 3 weeks (24 miles) and if you can charge 3 times a week I would do it once a week.

-=>Raja.

#11 OFFLINE   spirilis

spirilis

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 108 posts
  • LocationMaryland
  • Current Vehicle:2017 C-Max Energi SE Kona Blue

Posted 17 April 2018 - 04:11 PM

Yeah goodness 8 miles a week... you'd see the engine kick on for Oil Maintenance mode and have to find a reason to drive around once in a blue moon cause the gasoline engine would never get any use!

Unless you use the defroster a lot, anyhow...

#12 OFFLINE   jzchen

jzchen

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 503 posts
  • LocationArcadia, CA
  • My C-MAX:None
  • Current Vehicle:2018 Honda Clarity PHEV

Posted 18 April 2018 - 03:12 PM

Yeah goodness 8 miles a week... you'd see the engine kick on for Oil Maintenance mode and have to find a reason to drive around once in a blue moon cause the gasoline engine would never get any use!
Unless you use the defroster a lot, anyhow...

Los Angeles Pacific Coast. You’d have to have some serious anger issues with your battery to use the defroster that much!

#13 OFFLINE   cr08

cr08

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 165 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ice Storm C-Max Energi

Posted 19 April 2018 - 08:48 AM

In fact with that short of a commute I'd probably recommend going with the Energi. Such short trips on any engine even in a hybrid are bad. And as mentioned, the oil maintenance mode would end up kicking on often which necessitates somewhat long trips to get the engine hot enough to satisfy it, otherwise the engine will remain on constantly. With the Energi, all EV mode doesn't care at all how short of trips you take. It's not going to harm it in any way. If you are light on AC usage and no heat and your commutes are in town, the 20 mile range will work pretty well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·