Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Wish list: EV Afterburner mode

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   spirilis

spirilis

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 136 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationMaryland
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:2017 C-Max Energi SE Kona Blue

Posted 30 March 2018 - 02:07 PM

After driving our 2017 from MD to FL and back, it's evident the EV mode isn't much useful except once in a while (during congestion)... I drove in EV Later most of the time.

One feature that would work well is an inverted version of EV Auto, where it behaves like EV Later and employs the gasoline engine during most propulsion but the catch is, above 2 bars of gasoline, it would step in with the traction motor (and allow charge depletion) for any additional power requested above 2 bars.

That would make the small battery work better as an efficiency assist for long drives. Anyway it's all academic since the C-Max is what it is and it's discontinued.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,157 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 30 March 2018 - 02:30 PM

There was a way to do this, we used to call it "ev blend" mode.  Basically you got the battery to assist the engine all the time until flat and you got 60mpg out of the engine while you were doing it.  I tried it some years ago and decided it wasn't the best way to use the battery pack, so I didn't use it any more.  Its triggered by the EV mode switch.  Search here for EV blend and you should find posts about it.

-=>Raja.

Edited by rbort, 30 March 2018 - 02:31 PM.

#3 OFFLINE   fotomoto

fotomoto

Energi Member

• 1,263 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationSouth Texas
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX

Posted 31 March 2018 - 07:19 AM

To really do what you're asking, the EV side of the equation would have to be beefed up tremendously, and thus expensively, for something that would be only used occasionally.  I think most people would rather just have more EV range.  Anyways, the CMax with it's large 2.0L ICE in hybrid mode is very fast and can hold it's on when compared to other PHEV's on the market (see 0-60 times).  When I need to, I frequently see 100mph when passing cars at 70-75mph without really trying.  :shift:     

• ptjones and spirilis like this

#4 OFFLINE   jzchen

jzchen

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 541 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationArcadia, CA
  • My C-MAX:None
  • Current Vehicle:2018 Honda Clarity PHEV

Posted 31 March 2018 - 08:20 AM

There is a “charge depletion” mode where both battery and gas are expended simultaneously to get the 188 hp number. As with fotomoto I was probably too busy paying attention to my driving to notice this in action, ie. when I was racing up to Mt. Baldy Trout Pools to get there before closing. The C-MAX Energi definitely has enough power to possibly get you into trouble with the law performance wise...
  • fotomoto likes this

#5 OFFLINE   komondor

komondor

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 481 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • Locationdenver
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX Energi

Posted 31 March 2018 - 09:31 AM

The other day was driving on a two lane road and went to pass a slower car as usual they decided to speed up.  I was at 100 before I knew it and was kind of surprised by how quiet the car was.  With the battery weight is also felt very stable.

• fotomoto likes this

#6 OFFLINE   spirilis

spirilis

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 136 posts
  • LocationMaryland
  • Current Vehicle:2017 C-Max Energi SE Kona Blue

Posted 31 March 2018 - 04:34 PM

I can vouch for one thing, in EV Auto mode, stomping on the throttle gives you one heck of a pull... and the engine sounds smoother than in EV Later mode with the same throttle, as if the engine is run slightly different (or maybe just less output) when the EV propulsion is mixed in charge-depletion mode.  I love it, and it's one solid reason why on long trips I prefer to charge the battery and use EV Later; so I can switch back to EV Auto for moments of monster acceleration.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·