Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

What Impresses the Acceleration Coach?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ScottChi

ScottChi

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationCary, NC USA
  • My C-MAX:2016
  • Current Vehicle:2016 C-Max Energi

Posted 30 March 2018 - 06:23 AM

Hi All,

I apologize if this is a FAQ, I thought I had seen this topic come up but I have tried several searches with no hits.  If you know of an existing thread, please provide a link.

My 2016 has the "Coach" display that provides scoring for braking, cruising, and acceleration.  I make regular trips across town on roads that are 50MPH but have stop lights, and I've been experimenting with how I get from light to light (at low traffic times) to improve my results.

What I've found so far is that I can regularly get "green" on the first two, but it's very difficult to impress the acceleration coach.  For good braking and cruising scores I engage the brake well in advance of a stop in order to max out the regeneration.  I've tried long, gradual acceleration when the light turns green, and I've tried getting up to speed quickly.  Neither one makes the acceleration bar move much, but fast accel is significantly worse.  That seems a little odd to me because for my previous hybrid (2002 Prius) the advice was to get up to speed quickly and then keep it steady for good MPG.

I've started wondering whether the accel coach takes the posted speed limit into account.  The GPS displays provide speed limits on many local roads, although it's not always up to date.  One last comment regarding the accel coach: it thinks "staying with the herd" is awful, at least around here.  If traffic is busy and following the default tactic of maxing the speed limit from light to light, I'll never get above 25%.

Thanks much,

Scott C.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,952 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 30 March 2018 - 07:38 AM

Acceleration coach will get maxed out if you accelerate slow and steady and no more than 2 bars of power in the Empower screen.

Speed coach gets maxed out if you drive below 39mph.  The faster you go after that, the more the drag, and the less the EV range.

Brake coach gets maxed out like you said, slow and steady and milk it all the way to the stop line.

Enjoy!

-=>Raja.

• ptjones likes this

#3 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 640 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNewnan,GA
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2013 CMAX Hybrid

Posted 30 March 2018 - 08:38 AM

Have you watched my YouTube videos?   http://fordcmaxenerg...mileage/page-1 This might help your numbers, let us know if it makes a difference.  I have never really paid attention to those, I just watch if my MPG average is going up. :smile2:

Paul

#4 OFFLINE   stolenmoment

stolenmoment

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 288 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationBoston
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:Maxwell Smart

Posted 30 March 2018 - 10:32 AM

I like to drive in L, one-footed, so I generally only apply the brakes for the last few feet.  While this would seem to conserve the most energy, I think that the "braking" coach only pays attention during the time you actually step on the pedal.

*sigh*

• ptjones likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·