Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Battery Range Upgrades

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jbird8675309

jbird8675309

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationBristol County
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:Energi SEL

Posted 22 March 2018 - 09:33 AM

Hi, I love my C-Max Energi and gonna keep the car until it completely dies hopefully 20 years :).  I was considering putting a 23.6 Kilowatt battery Ford Focus EV battery in it to increase my EV Range to about 70 miles.  The Focus electric gets 76 miles on its battery and I wanna increase my range instead of ditching what I have and paying out thousands on a new vehicle with only 20 or 40 miles range.  The platforms, technology,  wiring are the same because ford is good and consistent on  cost and used existing hardware. I see the batteries on Ebay for about 5,000.  The only thing I am concerned about is the Form Factor or spacing.  Capacity shouldn't be a problem.  Ford also changed the ford focus electric to a 33.3 kilowatt battery so they have some old stock lying around.  There no longer making these cars anymore so I don't think a warranties matter anymore.  I wanna prolong my ev range so I don't pollute the air and use my gas engine as little as possible and stick to a all electric as possible.  

https://www.ebay.com...119.m1438.l2649

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,186 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 22 March 2018 - 10:18 AM

I wouldn't buy an older battery, get a new one if you need to.  Maybe is possible to replace the cells in your own battery to more dense ones that fit the same size?

Or how about another idea of making a large connector so you can plug in an additional battery same size and double the capacity from 7.6 to 15,2kwh.  You can go from 30 miles range to 60 miles and recharge times will just double?

-=>Raja.

• ptjones likes this

#3 OFFLINE   jbird8675309

jbird8675309

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationBristol County

Posted 22 March 2018 - 10:42 AM

yeah I wouldn't mind buying direct from Ford on a new battery.  They have old stock lying around because of the focus electric or if not available they could place a order from there supplier.  My only concerns whether it would fit right.  Whatever the size is I would have love to purchase the most capacity.  Ofcouse I would rather have the dealer install it.  But with a 50+ range  I could go all electric with tiny gas.  Anyway whatever the cost is still better than spending 20 or 30 thousand on a new vehicle.  

#4 OFFLINE   jbird8675309

jbird8675309

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationBristol County

Posted 22 March 2018 - 11:07 AM

I wouldn't mind getting another battery where would I mount it and there is enough space for it?? I dunno hit me up sometime cuz I have time to figure this out Raja I have to get the breakdown manuel for this vehicle and gonna look at the parts.  I am also gonna worth with Ford because its worth it in the long run and there should be no reason why this isn't possible and Ford would be making money as well 

#5 OFFLINE   spirilis

spirilis

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 136 posts
  • LocationMaryland
  • Current Vehicle:2017 C-Max Energi SE Kona Blue

Posted 22 March 2018 - 10:43 PM

Lol.... a Focus Electric battery won't work in the C-Max. It's a liquid-cooled battery with coolant heaters, A/C plumbed chiller, etc. inline (and there are 2 of them and rather large)
  • fotomoto and cr08 like this

#6 OFFLINE   ShoulderThingThatGoesUP

ShoulderThingThatGoesUP

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 184 posts
  • LocationEmmaus, PA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi

Posted 23 March 2018 - 04:59 AM

The 2019 Fusion Energi will have a bigger battery in the same space, I think that's a better option for when our batteries start going.

• ptjones likes this

#7 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,186 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 23 March 2018 - 06:27 AM

^^^  I agree, same form factor but more dense is the best answer.

-=>Raja.

#8 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 730 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNewnan,GA
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2013 CMAX Hybrid

Posted 23 March 2018 - 11:19 AM

I wonder if you will need a better cooling system? :headscratch:

Paul

#9 OFFLINE   jbird8675309

jbird8675309

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationBristol County

Posted 23 March 2018 - 12:37 PM

I dunno so a Focus Electric battery isn't compatible?? They made the C-MAX batteries cheaper?? How about a Fusion Battery??? A Focus battery is better built  battery should be a way to incorporate it in a C-MAX.  I dunno the technology is all the same on the batteries so its the setup of the vehicle engine type you would have to work with.  I am getting 13 miles on my battery without heat on full charge and I wanna improve my EV range instead of ditching the whole vehicle and shelling out thousands and thousands more on a newer vehicle.  I have been a computer tech and swapped out so many cpu's, motherboards, ram, hardrives, power supplies, and never had any issues with upgrading.  I am sure Ford of-course wants you to keep buying new cars but doesn't that defeat the whole purpose of going green and having a conscious??   The fact that people wanna keep there Fords is a good thing.  Ford could still profit doing installs.    

#10 OFFLINE   jzchen

jzchen

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 547 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationArcadia, CA
  • My C-MAX:None
  • Current Vehicle:2018 Honda Clarity PHEV

Posted 23 March 2018 - 01:34 PM

There are a lot of batteries listed here for you to swap:

www.car-part.com

Under electrical battery

At 13 miles you have one of the lowest I've read about around. I think my wife's was around 17 miles when she traded for the Clarity Monday I think it was.

#11 OFFLINE   jbird8675309

jbird8675309

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationBristol County

Posted 23 March 2018 - 02:56 PM

yeah its getting low not sure if it is the weather or something wrong with the thermal management maybe a fan is out or something and something might be malfunctioning.  I have a level 2 charger just filled it up yesterday and it was 36 degree's in the morning and I started it without climate on and it was at 13.  Hopefully it will get better also while I am driving conservative it will skim or won't go a full mile before it goes less.  I 'll go up the road and it will be 12 or 11 and I only went 1/4 mile.  

#12 OFFLINE   fotomoto

fotomoto

Energi Member

• 1,263 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationSouth Texas
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX

Posted 24 March 2018 - 11:08 AM

At 13 miles you have one of the lowest I've read about around. I think my wife's was around 17 miles when she traded for the Clarity Monday I think it was.

Unfortunately I see these types of statements on nearly every EV forum.   Range, real or indicated (aka guessometer,) is NOT an indicator of battery capacity.  13 miles range @ 75mph highway is not the same as 13 miles @ 30mph city streets.  Same goes for temperature.  One persons claimed range may be during 35-40f winter while another is during their 75f spring.  

To keep things apples to apples, one most talk in terms of kWhr's used.   :reading:

Now we return you back to the original topic.

#13 OFFLINE   jzchen

jzchen

Energi Member

• 547 posts
  • LocationArcadia, CA

Posted 25 March 2018 - 03:45 PM

Very true fotomoto!

I was giving the "computer tech" the benefit of the doubt that he understood the nature of claiming 13 miles as a valid concern....

#14 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,186 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 25 March 2018 - 08:52 PM

If you put in a bigger or more dense battery Paul, cooling will not be as much of an issue as a bigger battery will have less load on it and not heat up as much as a smaller battery.

So if you double the capacity of the battery, and it takes 2 hours to discharge it instead of 1 hour with the current battery, that's very good.  Also if it takes 12 hours to charge it instead of 6, that's also good (or 4 hours 20 minutes instead of 2 hours 10 minutes on 240v).

Bigger batteries will be less stressed than smaller ones from usage, but you should still follow the routine of keeping the battery cool by parking in the shade for example on hot summer days.

-=>Raja.

#15 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 730 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNewnan,GA
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2013 CMAX Hybrid

Posted 26 March 2018 - 07:35 AM

The 2019 FFEnergi info says they gain 4 mile in range and then add My CMAX MOD's for another 4 miles you should end up with 28 miles of normal driving.  Then you add in the way rbort drives :smile2:  he should get 55 miles! That's some serious miles, better than the Clarity. :smile2:

Paul

#16 OFFLINE   jzchen

jzchen

Energi Member

• 547 posts
  • LocationArcadia, CA

Posted 26 March 2018 - 10:18 AM

But I'm going to apply RBort driving technique to the Clarity and get 100 miles!

#17 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,186 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 26 March 2018 - 10:19 AM

That's great to know Paul that there is a better more dense battery coming out.  Down the road some years from now I'll be interested in replacing my Cmax battery as I may keep that car for many years to come, unless something crazy better entices me to move on.

If they say 4 miles more, generally speaking on average it means 6 miles more for me.  Ford stated 20 miles range on the battery, my max is 37 miles but average is about 30 between summer and winter temps.   No way I'll be able to get 55 miles on the battery but I'll say 30 to 40 between winter and summer for the denser battery, right now its more like 23 to 37 max.

If the clarity is rated for 47 miles, then it might mean 60 to 70 for me, I don't know never tried it as of yet.  Interesting thing is that yesterday met some guy driving the plug in Bolt.  Its rated at 238 miles.  I said what do you get with it?  He said when I commute to work I get 240 to 280 miles per charge.  I said how fast do you go?  He said 20mph due to traffic.  I said OK, today is Sunday and you're driving around here for fun.  How many miles per charge?  He said I have 79 miles left, I'm getting 140 to 160 miles per charge.  Big difference if you drive the car with or without traffic, plus I'm sure he's not driving it easy he's out having fun today.

-=>Raja.

• ptjones likes this

#18 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,186 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 26 March 2018 - 10:20 AM

I would love to see what you would get Jesse, let me know!!

-=>Raja.

• ptjones likes this

#19 OFFLINE   jbird8675309

jbird8675309

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationBristol County

Posted 20 June 2018 - 11:12 PM

Does Ford care what were driving anymore or is only enough for your signature at sale time? Ford built the model T. Who cares there are alot more trucks and suvs then cars? I think Ford wasnt planning much success with this car because it has to pay a royalty to toyota every time they sell one. Wasnt Ford making these cars to help combat global warming?? Reduce emmisions pollution and gas dependancy?? What happened to the good??
They can't make a decent battery to perfect the imperfections?? 20 miles is bullcrap I walked to school was a longer trip and the there biggest competitor does 40 to 50 on the volt. 20 miles wont even get u to Walmart in certain parts of the country. 20 miles was a wasted stupid tease and a hassle and they ditched and got backed out like a bunch of pansies because they couldnt get it right to begin with and they werent enough money. This is a beautiful car and its such a sad loss.

#20 OFFLINE   Billyk24

Billyk24

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 63 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationButler, Pa.
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Titanium, 2005 Ford Escape Hybrid 4wd

Posted 21 June 2018 - 05:50 PM

with this car because it has to pay a royalty to toyota every time they sell one.‚Äč---where did this come from?     Way back when the Ford Escape Hybrid was being developed 2003-04 era, Ford and Toyota made a deal, Ford actually traded its Ford Explorer (not Escape) Hybrid (came with a second battery pack for the rear wheels that the Toyota Highlander uses!) designs and diesel information for the right to use split planetary gear shaft  and other.   Ford developed its own software (multiple patent licensed) and own hardware (Sanyo Battery pack) for its vehicle.   No royalty fees  were involved.

• cr08 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·