Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Question Regarding Panoramic Glass Roof Safety

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ScottChi

ScottChi

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationCary, NC USA
  • My C-MAX:2016
  • Current Vehicle:2016 C-Max Energi

Posted 21 March 2018 - 09:44 AM

Hi All,

We subscribe to Consumer Reports.  Late last year they had an article that raised alarm over the growing use of panoramic sunroofs on cars, and the under-reported occurrences in which they suddenly fracture into fragments of safety glass while the car is being driven.

Here's a link: https://www.consumer...anger-overhead/

My C-Max Energi is from 2016, and has the panoramic glass roof.  I found this article to be moderately alarming.  It describes several incidents in which people were traveling in their cars, and suddenly had a loud noise followed by a shower of glass raining down into the car.

On the bright side, the C-Max was not mentioned in this article.  However, Ford was listed as having more complaints than other manufacturers.  The article also said that car manufacturers are under no obligation to share information regarding the sudden fragmentation of glass roofs, and will typically declare that these were incidents of rock penetration.  It's very difficult to prove whether a thrown pebble might have impacted the edge of a glass roof, after it has shattered into the small pellets that safety glass tends to become when fractured.

I initially enjoyed having the panoramic roof, but since reading about this problem I have taken to keeping the interior cover deployed unless I'm making a local trip that avoids highways.  The cover is single ply cloth, and seems unlikely to provide much protection.

Does anyone know whether significant occurrences of fractured glass roofs have occurred with the C-Max?  I searched these forums and found only a few incidents.  These were just cracks.

Another point mentioned in the article was that Ford has begun using multi-layered glass on some models, which is much safer since it does not "explode" into fragments when over-stressed.  It would be a significant relief if it turns out that our C-Max has this glass.

Thanks,

Scott

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,150 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 21 March 2018 - 02:30 PM

I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.  There is alot of things you can read about and if you worry about every little thing, you won't enjoy life.

I'd had a Cmax since 2013 with the glass roof and never had an issue.  Drive and enjoy the car, worst case scenario a rock comes though the roof from kids throwing stuff off a bridge for example you hope you don't get hit with the rock.  The little pieces of glass will be a nuisance but won't hurt you as they fall if that actually happens.  

-=>Raja.

#3 OFFLINE   jzchen

jzchen

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 533 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationArcadia, CA
  • My C-MAX:None
  • Current Vehicle:2018 Honda Clarity PHEV

Posted 21 March 2018 - 05:25 PM

Some companies will clear bra a windshield. Maybe try a company that does or the companies that do tinting. The extra “film” layer may help keep the glass intact, or even protect it from shattering.

#4 OFFLINE   komondor

komondor

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 481 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • Locationdenver
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX Energi

Posted 21 March 2018 - 06:08 PM

Just have window tint applied same result and a little less heat coming in.

#5 OFFLINE   GTIguy

GTIguy

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationDenver
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:2017 C-MAX Energi Titanium, 2014 C-Max Hybrid (daughter's car)

Posted 22 March 2018 - 09:17 PM

Do you really expect that a couple thousands of an inch of plastic film will add much strength to a a 1/8" sheet of tempered safety glass?

If you want to worry, buy a retractable sunroof and worry about that leaking or getting stuck.

#6 OFFLINE   komondor

komondor

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 481 posts
  • Locationdenver
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX Energi

Posted 24 March 2018 - 02:03 PM

yes it really does look at these

https://solarx.com/r.../security-film/

3m video

#7 OFFLINE   ScottChi

ScottChi

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationCary, NC USA
  • My C-MAX:2016
  • Current Vehicle:2016 C-Max Energi

Posted 26 March 2018 - 06:56 AM

yes it really does look at these

Thanks Jzchen, Komondor.  I'll look into getting the security film. 

If it was just me I'd let it ride, but my wife read the article as well and expressed concern.

#8 OFFLINE   malaugh

malaugh

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationSan Diego
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi

Posted 26 March 2018 - 12:06 PM

I read the article.  Seems like much ado about nothing to me.  The users who experienced this talk about a load bang and being showered with glass.  Not a pleasant experience I am sure, but no injuries or accidents, and the biggest discussion seems to be who pays to fix it.   Also, when you drive any car there is a big pane of glass right in front of your face, its called a windshield.   They probably explode more regularly than roofs, since they get hit by stones.  It happened to me a few years ago, on the freeway at 80mph, i heard a huge bang, and I got disoriented and shaken up for a few minutes, but that was all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·