Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Charging question

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   colb2rio

colb2rio

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationBerkeley
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:CMax Energi

Posted 16 March 2018 - 07:37 PM

Do batteries charge when you are driving on the freeway in EV later mode?

I often take long trips from the SF Bay Area up to Eugene, OR and down south to the LA area and don't see the battery values change except when descending long grades. I always plug in when I get to my destinations.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,217 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 16 March 2018 - 07:50 PM

Not unless you keep cycling EV later when the % goes up higher than the original set point.

So if you press EV later and it says 53% of the battery will be saved, if you see the battery at 54 or 55%, push EV switch 3 times and it will say 54 or 55% will be saved.  Next time you see it at 57%, push it again 3 times and now you're at 57%.  You can keep upping the charge 1 to 3% at a time until you reach a max of 95% if you so desire.

Note that this practice is not efficient unless you use the battery at slow speeds.  In other words, charging it at 65 mph and using it back at 65mph is a net loss due to charging losses.  If you charge it some, make sure you use it at less than 40mph.

-=>Raja.

#3 OFFLINE   MVArtMan

MVArtMan

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationArkansas
  • My C-MAX:2016
  • Current Vehicle:SEL ENERGI

Posted 27 March 2018 - 08:23 PM

Do you mean you switch to EV now when descending grades?   

#4 OFFLINE   stolenmoment

stolenmoment

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 332 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationBoston
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:Maxwell Smart

Posted 28 March 2018 - 05:22 AM

If the car doesn't turn off the motor anyway, yes.  It won't turn the ICE off by itself until it's warmed up.  All the three modes do regarding this is change the ICE on/off thresholds.  In EV Later, the charge level moves those threshholds around a bit to maintain within a few percent of the target.

Cycling the EV button three times goes all the way around to EV later again, resetting the desired charge level, and so moves the threshhold a little bit.

#5 OFFLINE   fotomoto

fotomoto

Energi Member

• 1,267 posts
  • LocationSouth Texas
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX

Posted 28 March 2018 - 10:25 AM

Yes or EV Auto; both will save all that regen going down those grades.  Just remember to switch back to EV Later after the descent or the programming will use up those "free" electrons very inefficiently.  I save those "free" EV miles for the city/urban portion of the journey.  I call it EV Banking and it works!   I even use this method on flat ground when stopping from highway speeds, getting off freeways, etc.  

#6 OFFLINE   fotomoto

fotomoto

Energi Member

• 1,267 posts
  • LocationSouth Texas
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX

Posted 28 March 2018 - 10:42 AM

Do batteries charge when you are driving on the freeway in EV later mode?

I often take long trips from the SF Bay Area up to Eugene, OR and down south to the LA area and don't see the battery values change except when descending long grades. I always plug in when I get to my destinations.

No but we have ways.....   :future:

BEFORE you reach hybrid mode with at least a minimum of 1 EV mile left in the battery (but not full as you'll need space), switch to EV Later for your journey.

On the long downhills, switch back to EV Now as you coast or lightly brake during the descent and the regen will flow back into the battery raising your SOC (state of charge) level and your EV miles will go up!

At bottom of descent, switch back to EV Later and the programming will reset to the new, higher SOC.

Rinse, lather, repeat for the next downhill.   On long drives or really steep grades, folks have reported filling the entire battery.

For best efficiency, use those "free" EV miles at city/urban speeds not highway.

That's it.  Pretty easy.  The hard part is just remembering to do it and to switch back.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·