Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

I think I got screwed...please give me your opinions

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Tradesuperstocks

Tradesuperstocks

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationCalifornia
  • My C-MAX:None
  • Current Vehicle:Crv12

Posted 04 March 2018 - 09:35 PM

So I saw an ad of a CMax Hybrid Energi 2017 with mar- 31k and with rebates and incentives, dealers advertising at 22K. I came to the dealer, the salesman said he could not honor such price if I buy, but if I lease , he will be able to do 350/month x36nmonths then the residual is 10800 usd after 36 months. So I figured wow what a great deal because after all the math showed I have this car for just 20K (After 4K subtracted from federal hybrid tax deduction). I asked him if I could claim federal hybrid electric rebate and he said yes of course. Then later I came home, told a friend and he said I cannot claim that incentive. I got so mad....I feel being lied to... what should I do ? Argggg....

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   spirilis

spirilis

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 111 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationMaryland
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:2017 C-Max Energi SE Kona Blue

Posted 05 March 2018 - 03:25 AM

Yeah he lied to you about that.  He takes the federal tax credit... and that gets baked into the lease payments.

350x36+10800 is $23,400 altogether, add $4001 to that and it's like you paid $27,401 for the car.

#3 OFFLINE   komondor

komondor

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 460 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • Locationdenver
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX Energi

Posted 05 March 2018 - 06:03 AM

So the question and answer as always is get it in writing.  If you had included Lessee keeps federal tax credit you could have the contract voided.  Now you just have a verbal agreement/statement and YOU signed paperwork that says any verbal agreements are not valid and binding.

#4 OFFLINE   plus 3 golfer

plus 3 golfer

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationUnited States
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Hybrid SEL

Posted 05 March 2018 - 07:05 AM

Beg for mercy from the dealership / lessor (Ford Credit?).   If you want to keep the car, ask dealer for free routine maintenance / free loaner, free extended warranty if you purchase car at EOL and so forth.  If you don't want the car, look at the penalties for early lease termination in the contract and try to negotiate them lower.

Otherwise, just enjoy the car.  You are likey not out $4k as the $22k is likely several thousand too low for a purchase price.  Maybe you could have done better with a straight purchase of a new Energi or a low mileage used one, but it's done.  $26832 is the current x-plan price for a 2017 Energi Titanium.  Never trust what a salesman tells you.  A simple google search would have provided the correct answer for lease vs purchase with respect to the FTC.

• ptjones likes this

#5 OFFLINE   Tradesuperstocks

Tradesuperstocks

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 05 March 2018 - 09:36 AM

Guess what? The car can't even start this morning and I was almost late for work. I am thinking of returning this.... Can u still? Use lemon law? Insane bad luck

#6 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,050 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 05 March 2018 - 10:29 AM

Probably a low 12v battery, if you charge it back up should be OK.  Might have been from sitting in the dealer lot for a while.

Anyway, about the purchase, you "already" got the 4k rebate if you did the lease, that's why the lease is cheaper.  But lease for me never made any sense, as many people lease the car and then when the lease is up they find out they have to pay "too much" to keep the car so they give it up.  Also, while they had the car they had to forgo going on some trips as it would put them over the mileage allowance.  What's the point in getting a car and not being able to use it?  Its not cheaper with a lease really, its just a glorified rental contract for 3 years instead of 3 days on a long weekend.

If you have no intention of keeping the car, might be a good way to "try one" for 3 years and change to something else later.

-=>Raja.

#7 OFFLINE   Tradesuperstocks

Tradesuperstocks

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 05 March 2018 - 10:43 AM

The key can't even turn on. Unlock the car to open. I had to manually use the key to open the car. No light turn on around the plug in charger.... This is unbelievable

Edited by Tradesuperstocks, 05 March 2018 - 10:43 AM.

#8 OFFLINE   spirilis

spirilis

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 111 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 05 March 2018 - 10:58 AM

I'd call Ford roadside assistance and have them tow the thing back to the dealer .... preferably the dealer where you leased it.  Get a service record started on this thing.  Lemon laws can take effect but only if the dealer is unable to resolve a problem after X (not sure what 'X' is? 3?) tries.  Whatever you do, don't fix this one yourself, put it on them!

#9 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,050 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 05 March 2018 - 11:09 AM

Just recharge the 12v battery and see what happens.  Or you can to through the rigmarole of going through the dealer.  Depends, are you trying to take it back?  Not sure if you can or not, might be a done deal.  If done deal then just put a 12v charger on the battery and top if off, see if the problem goes away.  If not then you can take it to the dealer.

-=>Raja.

#10 OFFLINE   Tradesuperstocks

Tradesuperstocks

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 05 March 2018 - 11:42 AM

It can't even recharge for Fark sake.... Nothing lít on.... It's brand new BTW.... I've never see a brand new card dead in a first day...dealer will tow it back... But my question is can I cancel this lease?

#11 OFFLINE   komondor

komondor

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 460 posts
  • Locationdenver

Posted 05 March 2018 - 03:56 PM

You probably cannot cancel read your paperwork or request some time with a lawyer.

Lemon laws do not always apply to a lease as you do not own the car you will need to check your states consumer laws.

#12 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,050 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 05 March 2018 - 03:59 PM

Do you have a 12v battery charger?  You need to charge that in order for the car to wake up.  But I get the feeling you don't know how to do that so just tow it back to the dealer and deal with them.

-=>Raja.

#13 OFFLINE   spirilis

spirilis

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 111 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 05 March 2018 - 04:29 PM

It can't even recharge for Fark sake.... Nothing lít on.... It's brand new BTW.... I've never see a brand new card dead in a first day...dealer will tow it back... But my question is can I cancel this lease?

Recharging the 12V batt isn't the same as plugging it in, see the EV charge port requires a little bit of 12V power to function at all, but if the 12V lead acid battery is stone dead then it needs a good ole fashion jumpstart under the hood.

But I advocate having Ford tow it, seeing that it's fubar, and having them fix it instead. Just to get it on record. Might get a new 12V lead acid battery out of the deal.

#14 OFFLINE   Tradesuperstocks

Tradesuperstocks

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 05 March 2018 - 05:47 PM

Jumpstart and it works per the technician at the Ford dealer. They told me to pick up tomorrow am. I told them. Keep the car there and I don't even intend to show up tomorrow....am I in trouble if I don't want that car?

#15 OFFLINE   komondor

komondor

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 460 posts
  • Locationdenver

Posted 05 March 2018 - 06:21 PM

No of course not as long as you don't mind having your credit score be ruined and going to court for non payment of the lease.

#16 OFFLINE   plus 3 golfer

plus 3 golfer

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationUnited States
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Hybrid SEL

Posted 05 March 2018 - 06:23 PM

Jumpstart and it works per the technician at the Ford dealer. They told me to pick up tomorrow am. I told them. Keep the car there and I don't even intend to show up tomorrow....am I in trouble if I don't want that car?

You need to read your lease.  My guess is that if you don't want the car, you need to call the lessor and arrange for the car to be picked up or delivered by you to them.  Upon surrendering, the lessor will determine the value of the car by selling it (usually by wholesaling it).  You will be responsible for paying any losses the lessor incurrs between their cost and the price they sell it for.    The dealer is not the lessor nor the owner of the car.

I wouldn't want a car that I leased setting on a dealer lot for any length of time.  You are responsible for any damages to the car (hope you have insurance on it).

#17 OFFLINE   Tradesuperstocks

Tradesuperstocks

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 05 March 2018 - 06:36 PM

This car I haven't even driven a single miles beside driving back to my house. It was dead... I am afraid of other issues in the future. Why would I want a potential lemon?

Edited by Tradesuperstocks, 05 March 2018 - 06:36 PM.

#18 OFFLINE   komondor

komondor

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 460 posts
  • Locationdenver

Posted 05 March 2018 - 06:56 PM

It is not uncommon for the CMAX to have a dead 12V battery and it is easily fixed, usually by charging it or by replacing the battery.
I have a 2013 I purchased in 2014, it was about 10 months old when I purchased the car, never had a 12V issue other people have.

My battery is now 5 years old and still no issues, others have had to replace the 12V battery but I drive about 1/2 time on gas and 1/2 on battery

Have them charge the battery pick up the car and see how it goes.

Read your lease hire a lawyer by the hour and have them check to see if you have an out or not.

Talk to the dealer and see if you can unwind the deal and buy another car there.

California Lemon Law

Within the Song-Beverly Act, there is a presumption guideline wherein it is presumed that a vehicle is a “lemon” if the following criteria are met within 18 months of delivery to the buyer or lessee or 18,000 miles on the vehicle’s odometer, whichever comes first:
The manufacturer or its agents have made two or more attempts to repair a warranty problem that results in a condition that is likely to cause death or serious bodily injury if the vehicle is driven;
The manufacturer or its agents have made four or more attempts to repair the same warranty problem; or
The vehicle has been out of service for more than 30 days (not necessarily all at the same time) while being repaired for any number of warranty problems; or
The problems are covered by the warranty, substantially reduce the vehicle’s use, value, or safety to the consumer and are not caused by abuse of the vehicle;
If required by the warranty materials or by the owner’s manual, the consumer has to directly notify the manufacturer about the problem(s), preferably in writing. The notice must be sent to the address shown in the warranty or owner’s manual (for bullets 1 and 2).
If these criteria are met, the Lemon Law presumes that the buyer or lessee is entitled to a replacement vehicle or a refund of the purchase price. However, this presumption is rebuttable. The manufacturer may show that the criteria has not been met (for example, because the problems are minor) and therefore, the buyer or lessee is not entitled to a replacement vehicle or refund.

Edited by komondor, 27 May 2018 - 12:13 PM.

#19 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,050 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 05 March 2018 - 07:31 PM

Jumpstart and it works per the technician at the Ford dealer. They told me to pick up tomorrow am.

DOH!

Listen, you bought the car and the battery was dead.  It needs a recharge as the car was not in use for some months.  A good recharge on the battery should do it, as the first time they probably just jumped the car and you went home.

Anyway, getting cold feet on the purchase doesn't have anything to do with this, and its a long way from the lemon law.  My guess is that you're stuck with the car or if you don't want it you're losing some more money to give it back.

That's it.  It is what it is.

And besides the dead battery, the car itself may be very good to you.  I love mine, on my 2nd one now, and neither had a 12v battery issue so far.

-=>Raja.

• plus 3 golfer likes this

#20 OFFLINE   jzchen

jzchen

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 516 posts
  • LocationArcadia, CA
  • Current Vehicle:2018 Honda Clarity PHEV

Posted 06 March 2018 - 06:37 AM

Love the new style headlights. With projectors it may allow a safe H9 upgrade.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·