Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Future Ford feature suggestion RE: Wet weather braking

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   cr08

cr08

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 218 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ice Storm C-Max Energi

Posted 28 February 2018 - 04:30 AM

This is something that came to mind over the past weekend here when it was raining and especially as my mom had to drive my car around for a bit. Normally not something that bothers me much as I'm fully aware of it but anyone here can attest to the weird braking performance in wet weather which is to be expected in hybrid vehicles. Regen basically has no difference in feel regardless of conditions and when you get down to ~5mph when the friction brakes kick in if they haven't been used yet, they'll grab something fierce if still wet. This is especially noticable at low speeds in town where the friction brakes are used very minimally.

Now BMW has a useful feature where when the rain sensor is detecting a decent amount of rain, it will activate the brakes just enough to bring the pads right up to the rotor in order to assist in brake drying without actually causing any drag. I seriously think this would be a useful feature in hybrids in general (or at least models like ours that seem to take more advantage of regen than others) to keep the brake feel consistent regardless of conditions. Though I'd wager BMW probably has a patent on this somewhere making it difficult for others to implement.

Thoughts?

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   jzchen

jzchen

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 550 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationArcadia, CA
  • My C-MAX:None
  • Current Vehicle:2018 Honda Clarity PHEV

Posted 28 February 2018 - 06:53 AM

I’m guessing patent law does not restrict someone from designing their own method of wet weather brake preparation. It seems if they are grabby then there is already something implemented for the wet. The effect of water is to decrease braking performance, but you are noting increased grabbiness, which is opposite of the supposed concern in the rain.

We barely get any rain so I’m afraid I can’t go out and check. I mean it rained the night before but was clear all day yesterday, besides my wife taking the C-MAX to work...

#3 OFFLINE   Levi Smith

Levi Smith

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • PipPip
  • 911 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationUpstate NY
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 303A W Panoramic Roof

Posted 01 March 2018 - 06:00 AM

I don't think there's really any brake performance degradation issues in the rain on modern disc brakes.

Personally I haven't had as much issue with the wet grabby brakes on the C-Max(though I can still feel and hear it).  But on my old 2004 Prius it was quite noticeable.  It was basically just a learned technique to be extra gentle with the brake pedal as you enter the last few mph coming to a stop as the friction brakes grabbed on.  I'm sure the particular discs and pads make a difference in how grabby they are.

The other option is just to hold the brake a bit as you are driving and holding the accelerator and clear the rust off that way for just a short bit.

#4 OFFLINE   cr08

cr08

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 218 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ice Storm C-Max Energi

Posted 02 March 2018 - 05:00 AM

Thought my reply went through here but I guess not. :|

I'm not sure what to say but on mine it is very predictable when it is/has been raining. No matter how gently I brake (even doing enough to get 100% on the braking coach) the transition from regen to friction brakes is very harsh the first couple stops. This is also with the factory pads and rotors with nearly the entire original pad thickness left at 56k miles. I also garage mine at home.

#5 OFFLINE   GS Dave

GS Dave

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 184 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationJupiter, FL
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi

Posted 07 March 2018 - 06:49 AM

Never experienced any weird braking in the rain, and it rains a lot here in the errrr sunshine state.  We get about 80 inches a year.  Only issue I had in the rain was with the stock tires, as soon as I upgraded them to some Continentals, the wet weather performance went through the roof.  The transition from regenerative to friction is always seamless, perhaps there is an issue with your car's brakes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·