Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Replacing front turn signal bulb

6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   JnTX

JnTX

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 47 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationTexas
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX Energi

Posted 21 February 2018 - 08:08 AM

One of my 2013 turn signal bulbs died so others will probably be having the same repair.  I replaced the bulb myself and can offer some help for others. 

The front turn signal bulb type is wrong in my manual.  The number on the bulb is 3457NAK. (NA=Natural Amber color, K=Krypton or Long Life)

The days of the simple bulb replacement are over.  Ford says to remove the headlight assembly to replace the bulb and that does seem to be a requirement unless you have very long, strong, fingers with some weird joints.  Look at the post for removing the headlight assembly to see what is required.  You may want to take the car to the dealer and pay $100 to get the bulb replaced.

My bulb was not actually burned out.  These bulbs have wire leads and one of them got hot due to poor connection with the socket.  The bulb has a plastic base and the hot wire sank into the base until it no longer made contact with the socket.  I didn't see any damage to the socket itself.  My 2013 Chrysler has the same kind of bulbs and has had the same burned wire problem.

You may notice that the bulb can be plugged in two ways.  With the standard bulb, it doesn't matter which way it is plugged in.  If you are changing to an LED bulb, it may matter and you will have to see which way the bulb lights.  Note that LED bulbs do not use enough current to make the flasher work properly and a resistor has to be added to simulate the original bulb.

Sometimes I wish Ford would just change to all LED lighting but then I would complain when I had to replace a $400 assembly for a failed LED.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   jzchen

jzchen

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 550 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationArcadia, CA
  • My C-MAX:None
  • Current Vehicle:2018 Honda Clarity PHEV

Posted 21 February 2018 - 02:23 PM

The sinking of the lead into melted plastic is exactly how my wife's failed.  The Sylvania replacement I got was 3457AK.  At first I thought the NAK has a slightly darker tint, but I just compared the other new one to the old one and close enough I can't tell the difference.

#3 OFFLINE   jzchen

jzchen

Energi Member

• 550 posts
  • LocationArcadia, CA

Posted 21 February 2018 - 03:57 PM

Okay, may have found the answer:

https://www.hidplane...7503#post667503

#4 OFFLINE   rhea

rhea

• 173 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationOkeechobee, FL
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi

Posted 22 February 2018 - 05:19 AM

EDIT: I got it. Watched the Focus change and decided I wasn't turning hard enough. I wasn't.

Can someone please tell me how to get the bulb (turn signal 3457) out of the socket? Be specific. I'm a 70 year old female with minimal experience. Changed the brake light without an issue so I know I can do this. THANKS.

Edited by rhea, 22 February 2018 - 05:28 AM.

#5 OFFLINE   dicko

dicko

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 64 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationWoodstock, IL

Posted 22 February 2018 - 06:11 AM

The lead sinking into the plastic was how mine failed too. Right front turn signal.

#6 OFFLINE   jzchen

jzchen

Energi Member

• 550 posts
  • LocationArcadia, CA

Posted 22 February 2018 - 06:53 PM

EDIT: I got it. Watched the Focus change and decided I wasn't turning hard enough. I wasn't.

Can someone please tell me how to get the bulb (turn signal 3457) out of the socket? Be specific. I'm a 70 year old female with minimal experience. Changed the brake light without an issue so I know I can do this. THANKS.

Pull straight out.

If you have a replacement on hand you can kind of see what to do, but basically you pull it straight out perpendicular to the socket surface/edge. No push in twist and pull like the old round base bulbs. It might be somewhat stuck because as noted some plastic most likely melted.

(I actually had more trouble pulling the rear lamp assembly out)!

I hope this helps and you can get it out!

Tip on getting back in. It is linked to a small marker bulb which also comes out of it’s place in the lamp. Do not waste your time trying to put the small marker bulb in first. I put the big bulb in it’s place, twisted it back in the opposite direction as removal, and the little bulb just fell into place and I just pushed it in completely. (I’m afraid this was a harder feat than removing the bulb...)

Edited by jzchen, 22 February 2018 - 07:00 PM.

#7 OFFLINE   JonC

JonC

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 55 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mississippi Valley
  • LocationTN
  • My C-MAX:2013

Posted 03 March 2018 - 05:22 PM

I've had to change both of them.  On one side, I was able to ignore the instructions I found online and just change the bulb.  On the other side, I had to remove the entire assembly, there just wasn't enough space.  I believe the left side was the one I could do without pulling the assembly.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·