Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

buzzing noise behind dash panel 2016 C-Max Energi

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   coair73x

coair73x

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationWashington DC
  • My C-MAX:2016
  • Current Vehicle:2016 C-MAX Energi SEL 303a Glass Roof 2016 C-Max Energi SEL 302a Black

Posted 01 February 2018 - 12:34 PM

I have a pre owned 2016 C-Max Energi with 13k miles and noticed this noise behind dash. I have another 16 and know that is is not normal. First dealer said it was normal. I know it is not and trying to get an idea what this could be.

Edited by coair73x, 30 August 2018 - 08:54 PM.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   grege

grege

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationDC Metro Area
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2017 Cmax Energi Titanium

Posted 04 February 2018 - 06:01 AM

I have a pre owned 2016 C-Max Energi with 13k miles and noticed this noise behind dash. I have another 16 and know that is is not normal.  First dealer said it was normal. I know it is not and trying to get an idea what this could be.

Link is to vid of sound.

https://youtu.be/Dox2W6meCbc

Oh yeah that's normal.  Just kidding.  Pains me that dealers call some noises 'normal'.  If it's normal, then all of that make would do it and it wouldn't suddenly show up.  Normal?  Well, dealer, then let's drive all of those on your lot so we can verify that.  

I'd recommend escalating this to the service manager and general manager and then try another dealer if that doesn't help.  Trying FORD might help, but they'll initially tell you to try working it through your dealer.  FORD is often of little help b/c they have little to no authority over the dealers.

Good luck and please let us know how it goes!

Greg  

#3 OFFLINE   mco30mco

mco30mco

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Locationmetro detroit
  • Current Vehicle:2016 cmax energi, 2017 ford fusion

Posted 04 February 2018 - 07:22 AM

i have a 16 also that has done it since new on the expressway only. i had just figured its a quirk since i have 16k now and nothling has happened yet

#4 OFFLINE   dicko

dicko

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 64 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationWoodstock, IL
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi

Posted 04 February 2018 - 08:50 AM

Where is the sound coming from? By the drivers right knee?

Though your recording doesnt really sound like it, there is a small vent and fan located by the driver's knee that circulates air over the internal temperature sensor. It does go bad.

Miine was replaced 6 months after getting the car and pretty much got the same line "They all do that" and "Ford doesnt have a record of any others failing so you must have done something".

#5 OFFLINE   elnene2k

elnene2k

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationFairhaven, MA
  • My C-MAX:2014
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi SEL - Oxford White

Posted 05 February 2018 - 12:55 PM

Interesting...mine has had an odd buzzing sound coming from inside dash since I picked it up as well. Not noticeable unless you are sitting in it with just the ignition on...Not noticeable while driving too much unless you already knwo its there like I do...

Mine is a 2014 with 24k miles now.

#6 OFFLINE   dicko

dicko

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationWoodstock, IL

Posted 05 February 2018 - 01:28 PM

That sounds like the fan. Its not supposed to do that.  It drove me crazy until I had it replaced. Mine is a 2014 too.  If you look at the dash you should see a small grill right by the driver's right knee. If you stick your ear down there, the buzz will seem to be coming from that area.

• elnene2k likes this

#7 OFFLINE   stewie316

stewie316

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationMichigan
  • My C-MAX:2014
  • Current Vehicle:Ford C-Max Energi Hybrid

Posted 12 February 2018 - 08:35 AM

Thats not the temperture sensor device is it?  Detects the temp of th cabin for the auto controls.  Back in 2010, in the UK fiesta had this noise had a tiny fan on it to blow in air but it would vibrate on the plastic.  They brought out a rubber piece that went over it.  and slotted it back into it's hole..  This stopped the vibrating.  Thats exactly what it reminds me of.  Could possibly be the fan has gone dry on it.**

Edited by stewie316, 12 February 2018 - 08:36 AM.

#8 OFFLINE   coair73x

coair73x

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationWashington DC
  • Current Vehicle:2016 C-MAX Energi SEL 303a Glass Roof 2016 C-Max Energi SEL 302a Black

Posted 13 February 2018 - 01:51 PM

Thanks for the replies. I will check that area are around the knee vent and see. To me it sounds like behind the dash but if there is a fan there that is what sounds like if failing. I will look at this week as it's warmer.

#9 OFFLINE   coair73x

coair73x

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationWashington DC

Posted 15 February 2018 - 03:47 PM

YES it is the little fan that is right above right knee. I am very annoyed that when the dealer (Cowels Parkway Ford Woodbridge Virginia) had the car for 3 days and did a good job replacing the modem but I asked them to find what this noise was. Now I will try another dealership closer to me as the car still has the bumper to bumper warranty.

Edited by coair73x, 30 August 2018 - 08:54 PM.

#10 OFFLINE   dicko

dicko

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationWoodstock, IL

Posted 15 February 2018 - 03:56 PM

Dont let them tell you "they all do that".  They dont.

#11 OFFLINE   coair73x

coair73x

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationWashington DC

Posted 13 August 2018 - 10:47 AM

Finally taking care of this noise this week. My horn stopped working on the car and I have the 3/3600 mile warranty and will see if I can ger both of these items fixed in reasonable time,

#12 OFFLINE   coair73x

coair73x

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationWashington DC

Posted 30 August 2018 - 09:03 PM

After having the car in for the horn not working last week they had to special order 

BM5Z19C734A 

I waited a week for it to arrive then brought it back and they replaced it. Noise is now gone. I am lucky I have 4 cars and can leave my car with the dealer to take 2-3 days to fix the issues on this barely used 16k mile C-Max. I hope all I am going back for in the future is oil change service etc. I did buy a 5 year 75k mile extended ESP plan and glad I did. 

Attached File  file-1.jpeg   116.06KB   0 downloads

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·