Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Year differences, and package differences

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jjswee

jjswee

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationCA
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:Mercury

Posted 31 January 2018 - 01:06 AM

I'm in the market for a Cmax Energi and I've been lurking in this forum for a bit now. 

I'm having a hard time finding the differences in the years between CMAXs.  I'm planning on buying used, so I'll probably get a 2013 or 2014.   There are much more 2013's for sale. 

What are the differences in the years?

Also, There is lots of talk about the packages available.  I don't know where to find what packages are available and what the differences are for that.   The energi only comes in SEL, so a lot of options come with it.  What options might I not see, that I might want, on Energi versions?

I really tried to search, and have read lots of posts, but nothing clearly defining these differences.

Thank you!

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   ShoulderThingThatGoesUP

ShoulderThingThatGoesUP

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 181 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationEmmaus, PA
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi

Posted 31 January 2018 - 03:41 AM

2013s are going to cost less because of the model year and Ford's initial programming snafus meant that many original owners had some bad experiences. I have a 2013 and the bugs have been pretty well ironed out through recalls before my ownership. I don't think there's any difference in the options between the two years - when we looked at new ones in 2016 I think the options still hadn't changed. There's some piddly stuff, but the main features are:

1. Backup camera

2. Power liftgate that opens when you kick beneath the backup camera - I'm not sure if the backup camera always comes with this or not

3. Glass roof (seems to only be above the back seat)

The base models are still very nicely appointed, but I do wish I'd gotten a backup camera.

#3 OFFLINE   Levi Smith

Levi Smith

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • PipPip
  • 875 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 303A W Panoramic Roof

Posted 31 January 2018 - 06:53 AM

In addition to the options mentioned above, off the top of my head, my 2013 also has navigation, Sony stereo, front parking sensors and auto parallel parking.

#4 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,157 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 31 January 2018 - 07:18 AM

2013 before June 30th build had Lifetime summary in it after that it got deleted to "hide" performance as people who didn't drive the car properly where bitching about it.

Also there used to be an option to switch between MPG and MPGe and later that was removed.  

^ and down arrow on the battery was removed in the new 2017 model.  Car only has MPG no more way to see how well you're driving in EV mode via MPGe reference.

Sometime after 2014, they removed the gas burned from the trip meter.

Little things like that, I'm sure I might have forgotten something else, someone can remind us if I did.

Your priority is to get a car with a good HVB, that's the most important thing in my opinion.  Some people used to drive these cars like they had no engine, and those people wore out the batteries.   Other people may not have even charged the car due to their situation, and those batteries are in much better condition.  If you can get the latter would be much better than someone who tried to stay on "dealer gas" for 2 years.

-=>Raja.

Edited by rbort, 31 January 2018 - 07:19 AM.

#5 OFFLINE   Jonathan Ezor

Jonathan Ezor

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 222 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY
  • My C-MAX:2015
  • Current Vehicle:2015 C-MAX Energi

Posted 31 January 2018 - 10:18 AM

Ford switched from Sync 2 to Sync 3 with the 2016s (I know, I have a *2015*), which added a more responsive touchscreen, Android Auto/Apple CarPlay capabilities, and other features. It *may* be possible to upgrade the hardware and software from Sync 2 to Sync 3, but from what I've seen, it isn't cheap. You should also make sure that, whatever C-MAX Energi you buy, the 2G-to-3G radio swap has been done successfully, or else you will not have access to any app-based remote monitoring and control. {Jonathan}

#6 OFFLINE   jjswee

jjswee

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 31 January 2018 - 11:40 AM

Thank you everyone!!

Of these option, which are standard for energi? : Backup camera, front sensors, auto park, Sony stereo

If they are not standard, is there a way I can tell if the car has them through pictures? Say, a little sony emblem, some button on the dash/wheel to turn on auto park, etc.

Do I need to get one with navigation to get the backup camera? That's a feature in really interested in.

Seems like the year to year differences is not much until we get the sync3 in 2016.

rbort, how do I check the battery? I read somewhere that we would need the owner, dealer to full charge the battery then drive 20 miles and check the number. This seems overly complex and I don't see any owners allowing this.

Jonathan, how do I test for 3g? What features do I get with that connection? How much does it cost a year?

Thanks again everyone! This is very helpful.

#7 OFFLINE   Levi Smith

Levi Smith

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • PipPip
  • 875 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 31 January 2018 - 11:55 AM

I'm not sure on the backup camera.  Put it in reverse and you'll know. (:

Yes, it should say Sony and the radio button area looks a bit different if you look for some pictures.

The front sensors come with Auto park and there will be a button for it down by the shifter in the row with the gas cap, parking sensors, hatch button, etc.

I'm not sure.  I thought the backup Cam was standard on the Energi.  Shouldn't need Nav to get it.

Here's a site you might find handy: 

http://www.etis.ford...viVS.fcvas1901l

You can put a VIN# in there and it will list all the options the car has.

I'd agree, the only real good way you're going to check the battery is to have it fully charged, dive in EV Only, reset the trip meter and see how many KWH you get before it runs out.  You'll want to see like 5KWH.  But some have had theirs down to like 4KWH.  Obviously it won't have the same range with 20% less battery available.  Doesn't necessarily take 20 miles to do it.  You could crank the heater and hit the highway.  Not real great for the battery but you could use it up in about half as many miles.

You need the 3G Modem to use MyfordMobile(web site and app).  Lets you see where your car is, how much battery/gas it has in it, trip mileage logs, set charging times, go times, remote start, lock/unlock, etc.  You're probably going to either have to have the current owner show you that it works and/or a receipt from the dealer doing the work.  Otherwise you'll have to do it after you get it.  So far it's still free.

#8 OFFLINE   jjswee

jjswee

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 31 January 2018 - 01:30 PM

Another awesome reply, thanks!

(For others) Here is a picture of the auto park button:
https://s1.cdn.autoe...e-photos_10.jpg

I'm guessing the word SONY here means it has the upgraded radio?
http://cmaxchat.com/...emFrontView.jpg

Thanks for that company lookup link. Very helpful if they supply the vin. *Edit:. I looked up a vin and it does not give any options?

Awesome news about the remote app! I didn't know this car had that. Remote start is sweet. Those other things are nice as well, cool stuff. And for free? Great.

#9 OFFLINE   Levi Smith

Levi Smith

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • PipPip
  • 875 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 31 January 2018 - 01:39 PM

Bummer, it's been a couple years since i used the Etis website.  It does look like they changed it.  I can't find the list of features for the vehicle.  I wonder if they moved it behind the log in.

I think the auto park button you found is from a Fusion since it shows a heated steering wheel button which wasn't an option on the 2013's...

Here's what mine looks like:

http://wildsau.ca/wp...ing-buttons.jpg

Yes, that looks like the upgraded Sony radio.  When you see a non Sony one, the controls are a bit different as I recall.

#10 OFFLINE   Levi Smith

Levi Smith

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • PipPip
  • 875 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 31 January 2018 - 01:42 PM

Actually it looks like that auto park image you found must be the 2015 European C-Max version since there's clearly a manual transmission as well.  ;)

#11 OFFLINE   jjswee

jjswee

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 31 January 2018 - 02:01 PM

I searched a dozen websites and forum posts and found this link that currently works to get the window sticker:

http://www.wikilende...n-decoder-tool/

Gives me this link:  http://mclaren722.he....com/ford?vin=    [enter the vin number here]

#12 OFFLINE   jjswee

jjswee

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 31 January 2018 - 02:04 PM

And another site breaks down the different package options:

Package

Exterior Protection Package

Clear tape rear bumper protection; Molded front and rear splash guards

Equipment Group 301A

Premium Audio & Navigation Package: Navigation, Sony branded audio, 9 Speakers, HD Radio + SYNC GEN II w/NAV, Media hub high (2 x USB ports, AV input, SD Card Slot), 8" TFT Screen w/Nav, PHEV Eco route includes charge point locations

Equipment Group 302A

Premium Audio & Navigation Package: Navigation, Sony branded audio, 9 Speakers, HD Radio + SYNC GEN II w/NAV, Media hub high (2 x USB ports, AV input, SD Card Slot), 8" TFT Screen w/Nav, PHEV Eco route includes charge point locations; Hand-Free Technology Package: power liftgate, rearview camera and hands-free liftgate

Equipment Group 303A

mium Audio & Navigation Package: Navigation, Sony branded audio, 9 Speakers, HD Radio + SYNC GEN II w/NAV, Media hub high (2 x USB ports, AV input, SD Card Slot), 8" TFT Screen w/Nav, PHEV Eco route includes charge point locations; Hand-Free Technology Package: power liftgate, rearview camera and hands-free liftgate; Parking Technology Package: Active Park Assist and front sensing system

Interior Protection Package

All-weather floor mats for 1st and 2nd rows; Cargo area protector; Note: Cargo Area Protector accessory is FIA content, it will be shipped separately from the vehicle via VIN-fulfillment to dealer

Equipment Group 300A

Vehicle with standard equipment

Edited by jjswee, 31 January 2018 - 02:05 PM.

#13 OFFLINE   jjswee

jjswee

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 31 January 2018 - 02:06 PM

The one car I was looking at listed 301A, which is an Energi without the parking assist.  

Sony logo, no parking assist:  Looks like no power liftgate either.

42fd85cef8404c998416a1f6cac8c222.jpg

Edited by jjswee, 31 January 2018 - 02:29 PM.

#14 OFFLINE   jjswee

jjswee

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 31 January 2018 - 02:11 PM

I found another 2013 with the base package, 300A.  It doesn't have the SONY logo, or the parking assist.   It does have the 'Media hub' and the 8" screen.  

Lack of sony logo:  

1acd6e8be9a74c3791af684d678f5602.jpg

No Parking buttons:   Looks like no power liftgate either.

3c312664f82e4b56b7d93529d8486e60.jpg

Edited by jjswee, 31 January 2018 - 02:30 PM.

#15 OFFLINE   jjswee

jjswee

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 31 January 2018 - 02:18 PM

2014 302A with SONY logo, and no parking assist, but a power liftgate button

YEjn1LQ.jpg

2015 303A with parking assist:  

C8cWsL8.jpg

lPCdk47.jpg

Edited by jjswee, 31 January 2018 - 02:31 PM.

#16 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,157 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 31 January 2018 - 02:31 PM

Get one at least 302a package.  If you can get the skylight, that's really a nice addition.  Parking assist is not important, nice to have but you can live without it.

Like I said, make sure they charge the battery for you and use it up to see how much comes out of it during the test drive.

-=>Raja.

#17 OFFLINE   jjswee

jjswee

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 01 February 2018 - 09:25 AM

Your priority is to get a car with a good HVB, that's the most important thing in my opinion.  Some people used to drive these cars like they had no engine, and those people wore out the batteries.   Other people may not have even charged the car due to their situation, and those batteries are in much better condition.  If you can get the latter would be much better than someone who tried to stay on "dealer gas" for 2 years.

-=>Raja.

Coming back to this.  Can I check this by looking at the dash and looking at total EV miles vs total miles?   Something like >60% EV miles would mean the battery could be worn out?

#18 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,157 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 01 February 2018 - 11:43 AM

Total EV miles should be less than 55%. But people can reset the lifetime monitor. If you take a picture with total miles you could make sense if it was reset or not.

As far as a test, charge to 100%

Reset trip meter.
Put car on leaf icon to see charge times and 100% charge level in blue.

Drive in auto mode staying 100% EV.
When trip meter reaches 1.1 kWh consumed, battery should be at 82-85%.
At 2.2, 62 to 60%.
At 3.3, 38 to 40%
At 4.4 around 15%.
Should make it to 5.5kwh before the engine starts.

Take a drive each one of the cars if you can with 302 or 303 settle for no less and see which battery is better to sway your decision.
You can tell without draining it all the way if you keep track of the above increments, the battery with more % after the spent kWh is better.

-=>Raja.

#19 OFFLINE   jjswee

jjswee

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 01 February 2018 - 01:21 PM

Excellent. Thanks!!

#20 OFFLINE   GTIguy

GTIguy

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 76 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationDenver
  • Current Vehicle:2017 C-MAX Energi Titanium, 2014 C-Max Hybrid (daughter's car)

Posted 01 February 2018 - 09:06 PM

Front sensors should be visible in exterior photos, just look for two little buttons on the front bumper and fender. I think it's a handy feature. The slope of the car's hood makes it very hard for me to judge the front of the car. After six months, I'm still stopping four feet from walls and other cars, just out of the sensors' range. On the other hand, I'm glad I didn't get the sunroof. It's useless for ventilation and gives the driver no view. Weirdly, the sunshade opens from back to front! But it's a scenic gift to your back seat riders, if any.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·