Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Ambient lighting not working properly.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Cbacha1

Cbacha1

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mississippi Valley
  • LocationLouisiana
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:CMax

Posted 28 January 2018 - 04:17 PM

So I get unto my car yesterday and notice that the green ambient light in the driver side footwell is blue. Driver side door handle functions As it should. As I close the doors and cycle through the colors they all work except for the green. Anyone know how to fix? Cheers and thanks in advance.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   plus 3 golfer

plus 3 golfer

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationUnited States
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Hybrid SEL

Posted 29 January 2018 - 11:01 AM

There are four lamps associated with the ambient lighting: driver footwell area, passenger footwell area, rear footwell area, and console.  The driver's side footwell LED/ECU Lamp ("LEDs") likely needs replaced since the other three LEDs cycle through all colors (see the control logic quoted below).  IIRC, around $20 each on other Ford models.  Give your dealer a call or look online.

"The ambient lighting control module controls the color and light intensity. The ambient lighting module receives information from the BCM through a LIN circuit for illuminated entry/exit functions. The ambient lighting module provides voltage to all of the Light Emitting Diodes (LEDs). A secondary LIN circuit is routed from the ambient lighting module to all of the Light Emitting Diodes (LEDs). Each LED changes color and intensity based on the input from the ambient lighting module." -Service Manual 

#3 OFFLINE   Cbacha1

Cbacha1

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationLouisiana

Posted 29 January 2018 - 02:26 PM

Thanks for the break down. Unfortunately, since the other night the lights stopped cycling in the footwell on the driver side. All others are working fine so I don't think there is a change in prognosis, it's just that light that needs to be changed, but are there additional lights down there or just the one?

#4 OFFLINE   plus 3 golfer

plus 3 golfer

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 29 January 2018 - 04:40 PM

Exactly, the ambient light LED assembly in the footwell includes a processor which is likely the issue.  Attached is the wiring diagram with the assembly circled in red.  As you can see there are three diodes in the assembly (red, green, blue).

Do you have an extended warranty (assuming this is covered)?  If you take it into the dealer now, they will likely perform diagnostics to verify that it's not a wiring issue.  But since all ambient lighting worked before but the green, IMO it's not a wiring issue but now a complete failure of the driver's side LED assembly.  This could be a $100 bill plus part.  

If you can DIY, one should be able to take the passenger footwell light and try it on the driver's side to validate that the driver's side has failed. There also may be a DTC stored in the BCM which can be scanned with the ForScan App for smartphones.

Attached File  Ambient Lighting.JPG   116.36KB   0 downloads

#5 OFFLINE   Cbacha1

Cbacha1

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationLouisiana

Posted 29 January 2018 - 07:40 PM

The LED in the footwell is stuck on the dark blue color. When I cycle it just stays that color while the rest cycle just fine. Just frustrating. Also interesting that the footwell isn't on the same module as the door, which I would have assumed it was. I had a VW once upon a time that had some water leaking issues in the door which got into the door ecu and wreaked havoc on the interior lights to the point where I has going nuts trying to find the parasitic leak on the battery until I just realized it one day while driving in the rain. Anyway I appreciate all your help.

#6 OFFLINE   plus 3 golfer

plus 3 golfer

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 29 January 2018 - 09:35 PM

Now I'm wondering if the LED LIN wiring / connector has an issue as I didn't know that the blue diode remained lit.  Perhaps, the default lighting is blue if the LED ECU receives a mssg from the BCM via the LIN to turn on and no mssg on the LED LIN circuit as to color.  If you can swap the driver and passenger LEDs, you should be able to see if the driver LEDs function the same on the passenger side. 

Edited by plus 3 golfer, 29 January 2018 - 09:40 PM.

#7 OFFLINE   ShoulderThingThatGoesUP

ShoulderThingThatGoesUP

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 138 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationEmmaus, PA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi

Posted 30 January 2018 - 05:48 AM

My color cycling button does nothing, but the handle LEDs do turn red when the door is open. It's not something I'm going to spend money on.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·