Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Hello. Picking my 2014 SEL Energi tomorrow!

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   elnene2k

elnene2k

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationFairhaven, MA
  • My C-MAX:2014
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi SEL - Oxford White

Posted 26 January 2018 - 03:44 AM

Hi All,

Been lurking for a bit on this forum. Super thankful for it as reading through a bunch of topics has persuaded me to choose a CPO Energi over a Prius V.

Was looking for a Prius V for a while...one with the works when it comes to the package including the moonroof. Used of course. Was finding they were a bit pricey and to get a cherry one with low miles (less than 60k) for the price I was willing to pay (14k or less) was a little tough. I did find a couple but had a hard time pulling the trigger on them as I felt both needed to come down in price.

I had agreed on picking up the exact one I was looking for (a V trim 5 in white with moonroof) for $13k. One owner with a good carfax history...once I got to NYC to pick it up, was not pleased with the condition as the front bumper had been clearly painted a mismatched white and there was over spray on the fenders.

I declined the deal after they were not willing to give me a break on the price after I pointed this out (a detail they did not disclose before I took a bus trip from Massachusetts to pick it up). I think they thought I would buy it regardless. I did not and took a bus home that evening.

Sort of a blessing as through my search for the Prius V, I had a dealer rep in Boston ask me if I wanted to look at a C-Max. I told them no and walked away. Although funny enough, I had an admiration for the cars as always liked their styling.

Fast forward to the past couple weeks, something in my head clicked and decided to start researching the car a little more. On my car searches, I was finding some incredible deals locally for the C-Max. I'm talking a 2015 SEL with 8k miles for $13k and another 2014 SEL with the roof I wanted on the V for $12.5k. Both had sold right before I had called...Frustrating...Both were not CPO though...

Reading up on CPO vehicles, I felt maybe I can pay a little more and invest in a CPO one since I can probably find one around my budget with the warranty...not to mention, fully loaded...My wife starts asking me what an Energi is vs regular hybrid. I had no idea...at first I wanted the regular mainly because I wanted the room. That is why I wanted the Prius V in the first place. More conversations with lead us to thinking, the Energi is a no brainer since I work from home and barely drive. So most of my driving will be less than 5mi most days, maybe 15mi at most. Plus we have solar panels I bought for our house so charging during the day will be free since we produce more than we use during the day.

So all this leads to this week...where I found a 2014 in my price range with all that I wanted (fully loaded with the roof as well) as a CPO in the color I wanted (white) with 23k miles. Previously leased one owner car with a good maintenance history. However, it is 3 hrs away! Me not wanting to lose the deal like I did on the other two decided to just jump on it after some talking back and forth with the dealer. Sight unseen! I know, crazy!

Mind you, another crazy detail about my story is that I have never even stepped foot inside a C-Max...nevermind drive one. However, have read enough online to know compared to the Prius that I will not be disappointed since many who have driven the Prius feel the C-Max is superior.

Another crazy fact, I always stayed away from American cars! I just knew enough from others stories to know to avoid them. I know some stories about Chevy and felt they were solid cars engine wise from others in the family that had older ones, including my father and girlfriend (now wife) that drove one that she could not kill.

I only had Japanese cars and recently, three German cars. Most recently a 2003 5 series wagon. Love the space and drive on that car but man do German cars need constant work. From my personal experience I've come to find out that "German engineering" is a hoax. Never have I driven cars where pretty much everything needs to be replaced on them at certain points. Even when you go to the forums, they all know the common issues and  are pretty much spot on on all of them as I experienced all the issues...The even say on the forums you should have a buffer of cash on the side from when those parts will need to be replaced. It's not a matter of if on them, it's when they do need to be replaced. For me and the 5 series, I just had enough...Too many things piled up and I have very little time these days with a 3 yr old toddler around. We're not talking easy fixes...I'm talking jobs that take hours, or days...

So fast track to today, I am super ecstatic. No idea how it will go...I have a good feeling about this one though for some reason...If I did not, I would not have posted this today, before I even looked at the car in person, sat in it, or drove it...lol...I know, I'm crazy!

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   stolenmoment

stolenmoment

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 293 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationBoston
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:Maxwell Smart

Posted 26 January 2018 - 06:32 AM

Good call!  I have no regrets for buying my used 2013 1.5yr ago.

Sure, I'd like more electric range, but it covers my commute nicely, and there's a free charger at work.

#3 OFFLINE   fotomoto

fotomoto

Energi Member

• 1,221 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationSouth Texas
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX

Posted 26 January 2018 - 06:33 AM

Hello and  :welcome:

Yes, there are many here like myself with Prius experience.   In fact, I test drove the v three times but for several reasons just couldn't pull the trigger on it.  Going back/forth between our Gen 2 and the Energi feels like night and day; what a difference.  The CMax drivetrain is MUCH more powerful and will feel like a rocket compared the the v which is the lowest performing Prius due to the extra weight yet the same power/drivetrain as the traditional liftback model.  I got a hitch and cargo carrier for the CMax for those (few) times I've needed the extra carrying capacity.  

I have a loaded SEL including pano' and I'm still amazed at all the things it has compared to many 2017's.   I, too, have a short commute and in 2016 used 3 tanks gas (let that sink in for a minute) but in 2017 I used a whole lot more because we took it on a long trip to New Mexico and Colorado.  Ahh, the beauty of dual-fuel.  Currently at 78mpg lifetime.  Most folks don't understand that a short commute is still very hard on a hybrid; which will spend most of the trip in low efficiency warm-up mode.  For example, our '06 Prius gets about 29mpg under the same conditions.  No contest.  You chose wisely!  :happy feet:

#4 OFFLINE   ShoulderThingThatGoesUP

ShoulderThingThatGoesUP

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 145 posts
  • LocationEmmaus, PA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi

Posted 26 January 2018 - 06:37 AM

I'm consistently amazed at the features my lowest-trim-level 2013 has compared to many new cars...especially when I sat in a Bolt Premier. I used two tanks of gas in 2017. Hopefully we'll get out more in 2018 as our twins are toddlers now instead of babies. Welcome, and I hope you enjoy the car.

• fotomoto likes this

#5 OFFLINE   stolenmoment

stolenmoment

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 293 posts
  • LocationBoston
  • Current Vehicle:Maxwell Smart

Posted 26 January 2018 - 06:48 AM

There have been many complaints on Bolt forums about the "cheap" interiors; the thought is that Chevy economized on the interior to keep the price down.

There are reports of a Buick EV based on the Bolt: https://insideevs.co...uick-crossover/, which should be "prettier", and of course more expensive.

#6 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,974 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 26 January 2018 - 07:44 AM

Where are you getting this car from?  Its a great car I hope it will be in excellent shape for you.  I love mine so much been driving the Cmax since 2013...!

I'm in Franklin, last August I drove from home to Fall River 37 miles 100% EV!  Sure I had to know how to drive it and stay on country roads but it was my high score record for range :)

Plus we have solar panels I bought for our house so charging during the day will be free since we produce more than we use during the day.

By the way, I have solar panels too and charging while the sun is out doesn't matter or make any difference.  Whatever excess power you make during the day backs up your electric meter and you run it forward at night.  You can charge at any time it doesn't have to be while the sun is out, the net result is the same.  :)

-=>Raja.

Edited by rbort, 26 January 2018 - 07:50 AM.

#7 OFFLINE   elnene2k

elnene2k

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationFairhaven, MA

Posted 29 January 2018 - 04:38 AM

Where are you getting this car from?  Its a great car I hope it will be in excellent shape for you.  I love mine so much been driving the Cmax since 2013...!

I'm in Franklin, last August I drove from home to Fall River 37 miles 100% EV!  Sure I had to know how to drive it and stay on country roads but it was my high score record for range :)

By the way, I have solar panels too and charging while the sun is out doesn't matter or make any difference.  Whatever excess power you make during the day backs up your electric meter and you run it forward at night.  You can charge at any time it doesn't have to be while the sun is out, the net result is the same.  :)

-=>Raja.

Hey Raja,

Picked it up from Danbury, CT. 3 hrs away. Super happy with it so far after this weekend!

Here are the specs:

2014 CEL with roof & 302A package

23,800 miles

Got it for $13,800 in the end after negotiating sight unseen

I thought I got a pretty good deal as the thing is in pretty mint condition as it was a leased vehicle to the one owner and all its service was done at the same dealership and done at early intervals. Very few flaws and got the color I wanted, miles I wanted, package I wanted, condition I wanted. Paid a little more than I wanted as I wanted to be on the lower end of $13k at most but to be honest, I think it was worth getting the car I wanted for a little more and also, I got an incredible financing deal, 60 months at 2.9% APR. That APR was the best I was offered...dealer said they mainly offer that special financing because it was CPO vehicle.

The carfax shows a damage report at one point early on which had concerned me. After talking with the dealer and looking up a damage report vs an accident report, I was re-assured that the car had not suffered from any crazy front end damage. The damage report was apparently from when the lease holder hit a curb too hard and had damage on the front bumper from it. Dealer took care of it since it was early on in the lease. After examining the car once I got there, front bumper looked pretty mint. If there was any damage, dealer did a good job taking care of issue as the paint is spotless.

Dealer tried to sell me an extended warranty package. Deal I got was $2000 for the zero deduction 7 yr, 100k Prime warranty through Allstate. Other option was $1300 for the same but with $200 deductible. After much deliberation, I declined it. Dealer said the deal was at that time only and that I had to make the decision then and there because they won't offer that any time after the day I was signing the papers...but in the end after I declined the extra coverage, she tells me that she will give me a week to decide on it... :fool:

I thought that was a little shady...I also went and researched this same warranty here on the forums I found out you can actually purchase this anytime you want and you can shop around for it...

Quick thing. I think my battery is a little depleted as on a full charge, it shows my range as 17 miles. I noticed this twice now on a full charge. Does it show 17 miles on yours or 20 when you first start up? I thought that for only having 20k miles it seems like it may not have that good a range...maybe they used it hard on battery only in the beginning?

#8 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,974 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 29 January 2018 - 09:06 AM

If you want to reset the car to start from "scratch", you can remove the 12v battery cable for a minute and put it back.  This will reset the coach bars and battery range to 20 miles.  But the battery range will update anyways and vary with your driving style, so the 17 miles can go up or down depending on how you drive it.

If you want a lesson in driving it I'll be glad to oblige and show you, or explain either way.  There is alot to learn about this car.  The best way to increase the battery range is to use it for city street, and use the engine for highways and speeds north of 40mph.  You do have to make the executive decision on whether to start the engine or not, as starting the engine for 1 mile only for example is not a good idea, you will end up with moisture in the oil and have to run the engine for 20 minutes to dry it up if you keep starting the engine for 1 mile on your daily commute for example.

ALOT to learn, you can read about it here or just hit me up if you want to chat or see how its done.  In any case congrats on the purchase, its a great car you're going to love it!

-=>Raja.

• elnene2k likes this

#9 OFFLINE   Levi Smith

Levi Smith

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • PipPip
  • 831 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 303A W Panoramic Roof

Posted 29 January 2018 - 01:38 PM

Quick thing. I think my battery is a little depleted as on a full charge, it shows my range as 17 miles. I noticed this twice now on a full charge. Does it show 17 miles on yours or 20 when you first start up? I thought that for only having 20k miles it seems like it may not have that good a range...maybe they used it hard on battery only in the beginning?

You'd need to reset the trip meter and see how many KWH you can get on EV Only to get an idea of how much capacity the battery has.

17 Miles can be completely normal if you just use the heater a little bit or drive it at highway speeds, go up hills, drive through snow, etc...  My range drops below 13 miles if I try to use the heater at 65F for a 13 mile trip at temps much below 20F...

#10 OFFLINE   elnene2k

elnene2k

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationFairhaven, MA

Posted 01 February 2018 - 03:30 AM

Ok, just reset it a couple days ago. Once I started it after resetting on a full battery yesterday after sitting a couple days, no charging since charging to full, battery showed a range of 15 miles. After reading a little further on this topic, i have read the battery life and MPGs on hybrid is really poor in the winter. It has been in the 20s/30s down here in the Southcoast so maybe that has something to do with it...I will just have to keep driving a bit and seeing how things go.

On other topics, are you center consoles (inside radio screen area) producing a humming noise? I get some kind of interference noise. Not too noticeable when driving but when sitting in my garage with nothing on but just the battery, it seems loud and annoying.

Also, had this issue with Sirius at first where even though I had a signal, I kept getting "No Signal" box. It was annoying as it would not go away. I read about it online as others had posted same issue and tried a few things others suggested without success. After resetting ECU, I now don't get Sirius. I called the dealer and they said I have to call Sirius to get my trial access activated again...

#11 OFFLINE   elnene2k

elnene2k

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationFairhaven, MA

Posted 01 February 2018 - 04:01 AM

If you want to reset the car to start from "scratch", you can remove the 12v battery cable for a minute and put it back.  This will reset the coach bars and battery range to 20 miles.  But the battery range will update anyways and vary with your driving style, so the 17 miles can go up or down depending on how you drive it.

If you want a lesson in driving it I'll be glad to oblige and show you, or explain either way.  There is alot to learn about this car.  The best way to increase the battery range is to use it for city street, and use the engine for highways and speeds north of 40mph.  You do have to make the executive decision on whether to start the engine or not, as starting the engine for 1 mile only for example is not a good idea, you will end up with moisture in the oil and have to run the engine for 20 minutes to dry it up if you keep starting the engine for 1 mile on your daily commute for example.

ALOT to learn, you can read about it here or just hit me up if you want to chat or see how its done.  In any case congrats on the purchase, its a great car you're going to love it!

-=>Raja.

Thanks Raja! I just might take you up on this...Would be nice to link up or something and have you take a look at things to make sure all is okay!

#12 OFFLINE   Levi Smith

Levi Smith

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • PipPip
  • 831 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 303A W Panoramic Roof

Posted 05 February 2018 - 06:42 AM

Ok, just reset it a couple days ago. Once I started it after resetting on a full battery yesterday after sitting a couple days, no charging since charging to full, battery showed a range of 15 miles. After reading a little further on this topic, i have read the battery life and MPGs on hybrid is really poor in the winter. It has been in the 20s/30s down here in the Southcoast so maybe that has something to do with it...I will just have to keep driving a bit and seeing how things go.

On other topics, are you center consoles (inside radio screen area) producing a humming noise? I get some kind of interference noise. Not too noticeable when driving but when sitting in my garage with nothing on but just the battery, it seems loud and annoying.

Also, had this issue with Sirius at first where even though I had a signal, I kept getting "No Signal" box. It was annoying as it would not go away. I read about it online as others had posted same issue and tried a few things others suggested without success. After resetting ECU, I now don't get Sirius. I called the dealer and they said I have to call Sirius to get my trial access activated again...

If you are using the heater at all then a range of 15 miles is completely normal.

#13 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,974 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 05 February 2018 - 07:59 AM

Thanks Raja! I just might take you up on this...Would be nice to link up or something and have you take a look at things to make sure all is okay!

If you want to do it just PM me, I set my own schedule with work as I'm semi retired so I have more flexibility with when.

-=>Raja.

#14 OFFLINE   elnene2k

elnene2k

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationFairhaven, MA

Posted 05 February 2018 - 02:20 PM

If you are using the heater at all then a range of 15 miles is completely normal.

It's gone up since I reset ECU...it last showed 19 mi on a full charge...I have learned a few things like limiting accessories run when on battery and also realizing that Winter driving kills hybrid's ability to drive super efficient...Still doing pretty good as I am averaging anywhere between 39 and 45 mpg on my highway trips...

Also my "no Signal" error message from my complimentary Sirius radio is now gone after battery reset...

I think the previous owner of my car mostly drove on electric...when I picked up the car, avg MPG was at 68.9. It has been going down little by little the more I drive it as I am mainly driving it on ICE when making our trips to see family in Southern NH. It is now at 63 mpg.

#15 OFFLINE   elnene2k

elnene2k

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationFairhaven, MA

Posted 05 February 2018 - 02:21 PM

If you want to do it just PM me, I set my own schedule with work as I'm semi retired so I have more flexibility with when.

-=>Raja.

Sounds good Raja!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·