Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Replaced original tires with Continental PureContact EcoPlus

michelin tires continental purecontact

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ITFlyer

ITFlyer

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 152 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationOhio
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi

Posted 23 January 2018 - 05:53 AM

The OEM timres that came from the factory are crap.

I'll preface this with that statement. They are VERY noisy, harsh, howl around any kind of curve, have poor grip in the wet, and virtually zero grip in snow. With the OEM tires new, I was barely able to make it up my snow-covered driveway - the wheels would be spinning, and the car sliding sideways. This is not some steep country drive, it's a very gentle slope leading from the street to my house.

I should also mention that I grew up driving in Canada - I know what I'm doing when it comes to driving in snow. I dreaded the snow when driving with the OEM tires. I tried all kinds of different air pressure, front/rear, nothing changed. The only thing going for them is that they give you good mileage. Other than that, they are crap.

With 44,000 miles on my 2013 Energi, the first snowfall came this year and my car was immobilized. The tires were done, and I couldn't get my car to move on a FLAT surface. TERRIBLE tires. Time for new tires.

After quite a bit of research, I decided on a set of Continental PureContact with EcoPlus Technology. I paid $166 each from a local, trustworthy, family-run tire shop (not a chain), which included mounting, balancing, TPMS reset, lifetime rotation and lifetime repairs. OEM tires were $210 each, as a point of comparison.

I have had these tires on the car now for just over a month, and have had the opportunity to drive on them through heavy snow, light snow, city, highway, rain, dry. They're everything the OEM tires should have been. I've been through several heavy snowstorms, these tires just carve right through almost like snow tires. On the highway they are quiet and comfortable. In rain they are solid and surefooted. No squirm, no howl around corners.

Reported life of these tires from other owners is around 70,000 miles, much better than the dismal 44,000 I got out of the expensive OEM Michelins. The only downside is that I lost on average 2 mpg. On a recent long-distance trip, I got 38 mpg where I would usually get 40 mpg. Of course, the higher the mileage number, the smaller the difference - the difference between 6 and 8 mpg is huge, the difference between 38 and 40 mpg is fairly small. Assuming a fuel cost of $3/gallon, travelling 500 miles at 40 mpg would use 12.5 gallons, at a cost of $37.50. At 38 mpg, it would use 13.2 gallons, at a cost of $39.60. The cost of the tires over the extra 30,000 miles I get over the OEM tires will pay more than twice the difference in fuel costs, so I'm already ahead.

I'm running the tires at 41 psi, I may try them a bit higher to see what changes I get.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   jzchen

jzchen

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 516 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationArcadia, CA
  • My C-MAX:None
  • Current Vehicle:2018 Honda Clarity PHEV

Posted 23 January 2018 - 09:08 AM

Thank you for the detailed analysis and for sharing your experience with these alternative tires!

We currently have just over 55k miles on the original Michelins and they are down to 4/32. I have been researching some all season LRR runflats to replace them. Will probably go with the cheapest one I can find with decent treadwear rating and V or higher speed rating....

Will definitely take a look at the ones you got. I have had great customer service experience with Continental...

#3 OFFLINE   jdbob

jdbob

Techo Geek

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 594 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationJohn Day, Oregon

Posted 23 January 2018 - 10:43 AM

What made you think the OEM tires were suitable for snow? Those of who live in areas with winter generally put proper winter tires on during that season.

#4 OFFLINE   ShoulderThingThatGoesUP

ShoulderThingThatGoesUP

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 157 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationEmmaus, PA
  • My C-MAX:2013

Posted 06 June 2018 - 03:30 AM

Looking at replacing what I believe to be the OEM tires because my wife hates them - she squeaks them every time it rains. (She doesn't need to punch the go pedal quite so hard but I'm not going to bother her about that, of course.) How are the new tires you put on doing in the spring?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: michelin, tires, continental, purecontact

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·