Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Poll: I'd buy another CMax Energi if

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Levi Smith

Levi Smith

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • PipPip
  • 899 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationUpstate NY
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 303A W Panoramic Roof

Posted 12 June 2018 - 05:43 AM

I compared the CMAX to the Mitsu Outlander PHEV.  The Outlander was a lot roomier and more comfortable, and more expensive when considering I got a 10K discount from Ford for leasing my 2017 CMAX.  What made me go away from the Outlander is it only gets 26 mpg on the gas engine, so on long trips you will be using a lot more gas. I have seen a lot of much higher mpg numbers for the Outlander, but they are the "inflated" mpg where you mix battery and engine operation so the battery inflates the overall mpg.  I focus on about 40 mpg with the CMAX on the highway and 26 with Outlander. And yes, you can do a lot better with various techniques, but you can't escape the basic gas mileage on long highway trips.

Yeah, this is kinda where I'm at.  Though My C-Max MPG is generally around 35MPG.  I'd have to average around 45MPH to get 40MPG while running the gas engine.

But it's the same as it's been.  Trying to choose between AWD, Electric range, highway MPG, reliability etc.  No one makes a car with the right combo.  At the moment I think I'm heading towards the Outlander to gain back my much missed AWD and keep similar EV to the C-Max(which isn't enough).  And just normal MPG on gas... 

Though if I end up with a different job and a longer commute again, I'll probably be back in a Prius.

I just about need a 3 car garage for my desires with the current options...  Keeping cost as a factor, I'd take a Leaf for generally all of my commuting at the moment.  Then a Prius for the drives out of Leaf range and then probably a CRV, RAV4 or Subaru for the bad winter days.  I could probably get the 3 of them for $15K total.  But then there's all the NY taxes, registrations, inspections, etc. and my wife wouldn't be too fond of all the extra vehicles(though we're going to be there in another 10 years when the kids get older).  And my experience is that most cars don't enjoy sitting around for more than about 3 days without increasing problems.  I left Max out in the yard for 3 days a couple weeks ago and there was some definite work to get the rear brakes clunked free and then some miles before they cleared off.

Of course if cost weren't a factor an AWD Tesla would probably cover just about all of my needs...

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   fotomoto

fotomoto

Energi Member

• 1,263 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationSouth Texas
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX

Posted 12 June 2018 - 07:25 AM

For all the AWD/snow folks, Subaru will be adopting the Toyota Prime tech to its boxer 4 engine for a new plug-in in the 20-30 mile range.  

#23 OFFLINE   Levi Smith

Levi Smith

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • PipPip
  • 899 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 303A W Panoramic Roof

Posted 12 June 2018 - 07:28 AM

For all the AWD/snow folks, Subaru will be adopting the Toyota Prime tech to its boxer 4 engine for a new plug-in in the 20-30 mile range.  

Yes, this will be a consideration for me in another 5-10 years(as the used prices come down) as well.

What remains to be seen are the actual numbers.  The last Subaru hybrid was iffy on actually getting better mpg than their other normal models.  And it still sounds like head gaskets are potential issues.

#24 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,182 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 12 June 2018 - 08:48 AM

I was interested in the new plug in Subaru.  My wife likes its looks.  Its that or the Mini Cooper Countryman plug in hybrid.    I hope the Subaru comes out this year.

-=>Raja.

Edited by rbort, 12 June 2018 - 08:48 AM.

#25 OFFLINE   stolenmoment

stolenmoment

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 322 posts
  • LocationBoston
  • Current Vehicle:Maxwell Smart

Posted 13 June 2018 - 07:17 AM

We can't use the PHEV Crosstrek; my 6'2" son can't fit in the back seat.  Now, a 30-mile-range PHEV Forester, that'll work for us.

#26 OFFLINE   fotomoto

fotomoto

Energi Member

• 1,263 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationSouth Texas
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX

Posted 13 June 2018 - 07:47 AM

We can't use the PHEV Crosstrek; my 6'2" son can't fit in the back seat.  N

Did you try the new 2018 redesigned crosstek?  Maybe it has more headroom?  According to the specs I can find, it has 38 inches while the cmax comes in at 39.4.  

Here's a nice demo of a 6 footer getting in it: https://www.caranddr...d-driver-page-5

FWIW

Edited by fotomoto, 13 June 2018 - 07:48 AM.

#27 OFFLINE   GlennR

GlennR

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 86 posts
  • Region:Canada Ontario
  • LocationBrampton
  • My C-MAX:2016
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi 2016

Posted 13 June 2018 - 08:12 AM

I'd like a few more of the safety features like adaptive cruise, lane notification, blind spot warnings, ...  Of course, a better battery range would be welcome too. Currently, the battery range isn't an issue but our commuting distance will change in a couple of years and we won't be able to be all electric on trips for shopping and the like. 

#28 OFFLINE   Billyk24

Billyk24

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 62 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationButler, Pa.
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Titanium, 2005 Ford Escape Hybrid 4wd

Posted 13 June 2018 - 05:25 PM

Just got a 2017 CMax and still have the 05 Escape Hybrid (4WD computer controlled) that runs flawlessly.   The 2020 Escape Hybrid is to arrive and might once again feature a 4wd version.  A flatter and larger cargo area than the CMax is a must as will be 4WD as I see myself moving northward for retirement.

#29 OFFLINE   Milkman

Milkman

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 59 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationKy between Dead Horse Holler and Yellowbank
  • My C-MAX:2014
  • Current Vehicle:C-max Energi, Prius, Lexus

Posted 20 June 2018 - 09:29 AM

I like my C-Max, quieter and better ride than the Prius. Since they discontinued the C-Max, I would have to go with the Prius plug in, and up the trim level, approximately the same EV and better hybrid mpg, and not as much lost cargo space. I thought I'd like the Volt, but after trying one, I decided it was too hard to get in and out of due to high door sill and low roof, liked it otherwise. If I go car shopping again, it will probably be a long process, lots to choose from and I'd hate to go backward in MPG.

Edited by Milkman, 20 June 2018 - 09:30 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·