Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Poll: I'd buy another CMax Energi if

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   fotomoto

fotomoto

Energi Member

• 1,231 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationSouth Texas
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX

Posted 21 January 2018 - 12:12 PM

I saw a newer CMax today in a different color with nicer factory wheels that I really liked.  That got me to thinking, "Would I buy another CMax Energi if faced with the need to replace it right now?".   

The answer is probably not but I would strongly consider it if Ford offered the latest tech/drivers aids (adaptive cruise is a must) and a battery TMS (thermal management system).

What about you?  This isn't a traditional poll, it's hypothetical so there are no right or wrong answers or voting.

Edited by fotomoto, 21 January 2018 - 12:17 PM.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   cr08

cr08

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 166 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ice Storm C-Max Energi

Posted 21 January 2018 - 01:35 PM

As someone who primarily buys used and likely couldn't afford new at this point in time, I'd likely still go with the C-Max. Still has the best combination of utility and cabin space while having good gas mileage and 'decent' EV range compared to other PHEV SUV's on the market.

There's only a few improvements I'd actually desire in a PHEV: Remain a CUV/SUV or hatchback. Design for the battery to remain out of cabin space as much as possible. EV range of at least 40 miles. That's really it. Other things such as safety features and driving aids are a nicety and somewhat expected as they become cheaper to implement (as we've started seeing functions such as lane keep assist trickle down to econoboxes) so not a checklist item.

The Honda Clarity definitely gets close. Battery designed outside of cabin space and EV range of 47 miles. VERY enticing. Not too fond of sedans these days but something that can be overlooked depending on what the PHEV market looks like in a few years. Again, used market is largely my focus so many of these new improvements won't get to my attention for another few years minimum.

EDIT: I'd also add DC fast charging capability though I think that is also one of those givens as we move forward. As more and more long range EV's hit the market, I think DC fast charging is going to become the focus and J1772 charging is going to be an afterthought. At best you may see a bare minimum of J1772 bays in relation to available DCFC bays.

Edited by cr08, 21 January 2018 - 01:42 PM.

#3 OFFLINE   Tom_NC_1

Tom_NC_1

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,059 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNC
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 302a

Posted 21 January 2018 - 02:04 PM

I love my CMax. I am almost 5 years into ownership on this one with a plan to go a minimum of 8 years. It meets my needs and drives well with a comfort level that is better than my previous vehicles. I don't think I could go to a pure EV so a CMax like replacement would be a strong possibility.  To tell the truth I would look around before I committed to another CMax. I have learned much about PHEV's and it will be interesting the next time I am back in the market.  

Tom

#4 OFFLINE   fotomoto

fotomoto

Energi Member

• 1,231 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationSouth Texas
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX

Posted 21 January 2018 - 08:55 PM

I have learned much about PHEV's and it will be interesting the next time I am back in the market.  

:2thumbs:   Yeah, an informed customer base will only help the market.

EDIT: I'd also add DC fast charging capability though I think that is also one of those givens as we move forward. 

Very true but this is something that didn't pop up on my list for a PHEV since I charge 100% at home but it's a plus; on a BEV, most definitely.

#5 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,036 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 21 January 2018 - 09:30 PM

I already did.  Being faced with having to replace my original Cmax due to 2 accidents (2 in 6 days go figure) I looked at the other options like the Volt and the Prius Prime and I couldn't see myself in any other car but the Cmax.  I bought the new 2017, it gets even better gas mileage than the original, I broke my EV record to 37 miles on one charge (could have done more if I had "supercharged" :) and used N to coast all the time) and now I have a 2nd chance with a new HVB knowing what I didn't know when I first got into a plug in back in 2013.

I was afraid I would have been gravely disappointed if I got something else like one of the above two choices, and my buddy advised me against changing models even though I had that option.  I'm really glad I didn't, this car is the best one for me, so happy to have it and I know how to use it perfectly now.  The old Cmax averaged 69.3 mpg, this new one I'm running 5mpg more at 74.5 now.  Here is my latest stats from my lifetime spreadsheet:

Total Miles Driven:      11085.1

EV Miles:                      7327.2

EV/ICE Ratio:                   66.1 

Net MPG:                         74.5

HVB KWh:                         732

Hours:                      458:32:49

Date:                        1/12/2018

-=>Raja.

Edited by rbort, 21 January 2018 - 09:35 PM.

#6 OFFLINE   bschwerdt

bschwerdt

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 426 posts
  • LocationSyracuse, NY
  • My C-MAX:2015
  • Current Vehicle:2015 CMax Energi, 302A / 2017 Chevrolet Bolt Premier

Posted 22 January 2018 - 05:54 AM

I'm personally hoping that my current CMax is the last car I'll ever buy with a gas engine.  I'm really hoping that Ford (and others) follow through with their plans for longer range BEVs in the next 5 years.

If I had to replace it today, another CMax would be at the top of my list.  It is the best fit of size, shape, electric range, etc for me.  A Pacifica would also be in the running, as I may end up with more than 3 kids eventually.

• Jonathan Ezor likes this

#7 OFFLINE   ShoulderThingThatGoesUP

ShoulderThingThatGoesUP

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 157 posts
  • LocationEmmaus, PA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi

Posted 22 January 2018 - 06:07 AM

We use the ICE so little that we would probably buy a used BEV and rent to go out of town (or buy a Tesla).

#8 OFFLINE   Levi Smith

Levi Smith

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • PipPip
  • 845 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 303A W Panoramic Roof

Posted 22 January 2018 - 09:38 AM

If it was AWD and double the battery I'd probably be looking for a used one.

• cwstnsko likes this

#9 OFFLINE   stolenmoment

stolenmoment

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 298 posts
  • LocationBoston
  • Current Vehicle:Maxwell Smart

Posted 22 January 2018 - 11:57 AM

I'm rather hoping for a Subaru EV.  Our other cars are 4WD, and it's come in really handy lately.  I view it as a technical challenge to drive the CMax on ice, but I'd rather not subject the rest of my family to that.

#10 OFFLINE   Levi Smith

Levi Smith

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • PipPip
  • 845 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 22 January 2018 - 12:51 PM

I'm rather hoping for a Subaru EV.  Our other cars are 4WD, and it's come in really handy lately.  I view it as a technical challenge to drive the CMax on ice, but I'd rather not subject the rest of my family to that.

Yeah, the Subaru CrossTrek Hybrid wasn't all that much of an advantage over the non hybrid.  

I really miss my AWD vehicles, but I go back and forth on just how much I value it given the pretty large gap currently between having AWD and energy efficiency.  We've definitely had a real winter here in upstate NY this year and I've really missed the AWD on quite a few days.  But I have actually made it every day...  It would be one thing if I could just choose to go out on sunny days and only dealt with city streets.  It's another when I'm heading to work before daylight or coming back after, or just heading out at night and we live in the hills...  It's really nice to just head out in the pre-heated C-Max, but the AWD Sienna usually gets my choice for peace of mind taking the kids...

#11 OFFLINE   Levi Smith

Levi Smith

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • PipPip
  • 845 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 22 January 2018 - 01:01 PM

Actually, apparently Mitsubishi has finally gotten the Outlander PHEV over here.  This will likely be a very strong contender for my next vehicle(used) in another 5 years...

https://www.mitsubis.../2018#customize

• spirilis likes this

#12 OFFLINE   bschwerdt

bschwerdt

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 426 posts
  • LocationSyracuse, NY
  • Current Vehicle:2015 CMax Energi, 302A / 2017 Chevrolet Bolt Premier

Posted 23 January 2018 - 04:51 AM

I put snow tires on my CMax and it handles the snow and ice like a champ.  Although I don't deal with a lot of hills, there are one or two short-but-steep hills that can be dicey.

#13 OFFLINE   stolenmoment

stolenmoment

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 298 posts
  • LocationBoston
  • Current Vehicle:Maxwell Smart

Posted 23 January 2018 - 05:14 AM

The Outlander PHEV shows a 12kWh HVB, so it should get about twice the EV range as the CMax, depending on all the usual things.  I could not find a manufacturer statement for electric range.  Smart of them.

Still, it's rather attractive.  I really like the charge/eco/power gauge!

#14 OFFLINE   Levi Smith

Levi Smith

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • PipPip
  • 845 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 23 January 2018 - 05:18 AM

I put snow tires on my CMax and it handles the snow and ice like a champ.  Although I don't deal with a lot of hills, there are one or two short-but-steep hills that can be dicey.

I've got snow tires on mine.  It goes, but there's no guarantee I can make it up my hill without significant effort. 

Without the snow tires?  Forget about it.  I can't make it up anything at all.

#15 OFFLINE   Levi Smith

Levi Smith

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • PipPip
  • 845 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 23 January 2018 - 05:20 AM

The Outlander PHEV shows a 12kWh HVB, so it should get about twice the EV range as the CMax, depending on all the usual things.  I could not find a manufacturer statement for electric range.  Smart of them.

Still, it's rather attractive.  I really like the charge/eco/power gauge!

Yeah, sadly the AWD/weight whatever is bringing the efficiency down into normal vehicle ranges from what I could find.  So expect 25MPG on gas and about the same electric range as the C-Max(22 miles I believe was what I saw)

#16 OFFLINE   cr08

cr08

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 166 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ice Storm C-Max Energi

Posted 23 January 2018 - 05:30 AM

I think the MPG numbers are off for whatever reason. I recall early on numbers showed around 35mpg and owners in other countries where the Outlander PHEV has already been available are claiming those numbers as well. Even converting that from UK to US mpg, that's still 30mpg on average. Keep in mind the old Escape hybrid AWD (which is about the closest comparison you are going to get for an AWD hybrid) was rated around 28-29mpg with the 2.5L engine.

I await some actual legit reviews with real world mpg numbers.

Edited by cr08, 23 January 2018 - 05:31 AM.

#17 OFFLINE   Jonathan Ezor

Jonathan Ezor

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 222 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationLong Island, NY
  • Current Vehicle:2015 C-MAX Energi

Posted 23 January 2018 - 12:22 PM

I'm personally hoping that my current CMax is the last car I'll ever buy with a gas engine.  I'm really hoping that Ford (and others) follow through with their plans for longer range BEVs in the next 5 years.

If I had to replace it today, another CMax would be at the top of my list.  It is the best fit of size, shape, electric range, etc for me.  A Pacifica would also be in the running, as I may end up with more than 3 kids eventually.

As someone who has both, I will agree that they are a great pair, especially since each can fully charge off a powerful-enough Level 2 charger in about 2 hours, so getting both topped off after the workday isn't an issue, as long as you can park them near enough to the charger to share it. C-MAX makes more sense locally; Pacifica better for longer trips and, of course, more cargo. {Jonathan}

#18 OFFLINE   marlowefamily

marlowefamily

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 52 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationSan Diego
  • Current Vehicle:2017 Energi Titanium w/ Moonroof

Posted 23 January 2018 - 12:30 PM

I stayed away from American made cars for decades, preferring Honda and Acura...but the C-Max brought me back to Ford and I might end up getting an expedition or F-150 at some point.   As for the next five years:

- My SUV turned 14yrs old and needed a renovation, ended up selling it for $7,500 and buying a 2017 Cmax Energi Titanium

- My wifes car is 12yrs old and we had to pay almost $9K in repairs on it last year.  If I had known how much the repairs would be at the start, I'd probably have sold the car for scrap.  We'll see if we eventually need to get a new plugin hybrid sedan or hatchback for her.  She thinks the C-Max looks a little wierd and would probably drive a C-Max in ev-later mode all the time.

- Both of my sons are reaching driving age shortly.  I think I'll end up giving the current C-Max to one, maybe they can share. 

- I do want to get either a small truck or a good 3 row traveling SUV, and I want 4WD in as many vehicles as I can...but it isn't urgent.     There are a couple things I don't like about the C-Max, but for the price it was a good deal.  I would be happier if there was a plugin hybrid version of the Ford Edge ST :)   And, I'd love it if future Ford plugin hybrids had much better thermal management and greater battery capacity. I'll certainly wait and see if Ford introduces much better plugin hybrid tech in 2020+.

#19 OFFLINE   ScottB

ScottB

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts
  • Current Vehicle:2017 CMAX Energi Titainum

Posted 11 June 2018 - 11:27 AM

I compared the CMAX to the Mitsu Outlander PHEV.  The Outlander was a lot roomier and more comfortable, and more expensive when considering I got a 10K discount from Ford for leasing my 2017 CMAX.  What made me go away from the Outlander is it only gets 26 mpg on the gas engine, so on long trips you will be using a lot more gas. I have seen a lot of much higher mpg numbers for the Outlander, but they are the "inflated" mpg where you mix battery and engine operation so the battery inflates the overall mpg.  I focus on about 40 mpg with the CMAX on the highway and 26 with Outlander. And yes, you can do a lot better with various techniques, but you can't escape the basic gas mileage on long highway trips.

#20 OFFLINE   komondor

komondor

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 459 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • Locationdenver
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX Energi

Posted 11 June 2018 - 07:10 PM

Range of 50 miles, and battery more under the seats get rid of the hump, car play.

• fotomoto likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·