Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Honda Clarity PHEV

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   komondor

komondor

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 459 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • Locationdenver
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX Energi

Posted 21 January 2018 - 10:25 AM

Anyone looking at a Clarity, 

It has a 47 mile EV range the battery is in the floor pan so no real loss of space.  Large battery qualifies for the full 7500.00 federal tax credit. Fully loaded it is 37K which seems to make it a pretty good value, the only minus is a smallish gas tank of 7 gallons.2018-honda-clarity-plug-in-hybrid-first-

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   fotomoto

fotomoto

Energi Member

• 1,231 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationSouth Texas
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX

Posted 21 January 2018 - 12:50 PM

I think this is a great design ticking off a lot of boxes on the PHEV checklist.  I think Volt sales in California might take a big hit without significant discounting once the Clarity catches on (its looks are probably it's biggest con).  Since Honda doesn't have big sales in trucks/large SUV's like most others, they probably don't have the big CAFE/CARB incentives to make.

the only minus is a smallish gas tank of 7 gallons.

Having owned a Volt with an identical size tank, this isn't a big deal.  With the Clarity's decent highway fuel economy plus EV range, you're dealing with a travel range of around 5 hours on the highway; that's more than my bladder or my passenger can last before needing a stop.  Minor benefit is faster fills.  My Energi gas tank may have double the size but I went longer between fills in my Volt in daily driving.  Bottom line:  I'd rather have the trunk space.

But....... just like the difference between the CMax and Energi, long distance commuters are probably better off with the hybrid and a larger tank.

• ptjones likes this

#3 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,036 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 21 January 2018 - 09:18 PM

I love the large tank of the Cmax.  It allows me to SKIP over expensive states and get gas only in cheap places.  I can go from Boston to Virginia on the same tank, (actually further to North Carolina), or I can go from Boston to Ohio on the same tank.  Having the bigger tank allows for more options.  A small tank only hinders things as best, the space required for the gas is not significant in my opinion.  You can always stop to pee without having to get gas at the same time.

However, with that being said, the Honda looks interesting.  I should go see one in person.

-=>Raja.

Edited by rbort, 21 January 2018 - 09:19 PM.

• ptjones likes this

#4 OFFLINE   bschwerdt

bschwerdt

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 426 posts
  • LocationSyracuse, NY
  • My C-MAX:2015
  • Current Vehicle:2015 CMax Energi, 302A / 2017 Chevrolet Bolt Premier

Posted 22 January 2018 - 05:09 AM

It looks like a great option for the market.  It has the EV range for many more people to have an all-electric commute, and the hybrid efficiency for long trips.  I hope it sells really well.

I would find the trunk too limiting, personally.  It only has 15.5cu.ft. of cargo room to the Energi's 19cu.ft. (plus the hatchback access).  As it is, I often fill up the Energi's trunk PLUS a roof box.  I'm in the group that would be much more likely to consider a Pacifica than a Clarity when it comes to purchase.  Of course it's a moot point since I intend to keep the CMax until either it becomes expensive to maintain (hopefully another 8-10 years) or my family out grows it (e.g. if I had 4+ children).

• Jonathan Ezor likes this

#5 OFFLINE   ShoulderThingThatGoesUP

ShoulderThingThatGoesUP

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 157 posts
  • LocationEmmaus, PA
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi

Posted 22 January 2018 - 06:03 AM

Thought about it, but:

-We're still mad at Honda over how we had to park our Fit for months during the airbag recall, and then how we had to sell it because the passenger side went under recall and they weren't offering rentals for that - can't not use the passenger seat with a family of 5

-They aren't factoring the federal credit into the lease, and we don't pay enough federal taxes to get the credit

-The range of the C-Max is pretty good for our location; we've averaged 91 MPGe since August according to the car. So a worse overall range while still paying for gas engine maintenance isn't a good trade-off to us.

My wife is mostly the one mad at Honda, probably because the first rental car we got smelled a little smoky and she was in the first trimester of pregnancy with twins, so bad smells were hell to her. Then we got the Chrysler that broke down, and the Buick that was a giant damn boat.

#6 OFFLINE   Plug-in

Plug-in

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania
  • Current Vehicle:Energi

Posted 19 February 2018 - 08:12 PM

I looked at the Clarity before I bought my Energi. The Clarity is great-comfortable and well laid out, but the small gas tank translates to a 350 mile range and the lack of incentives makes it a very expensive option. I'm happy with my Energi.

#7 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,036 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 19 February 2018 - 11:28 PM

Why are they cutting the freakin' gas tank size??  Don't they understand that range is king?

I realize the comment comes in "I need to stop to pee", but you can stop for that and not stop for gas if you didn't need it, and hence be able to skip over alot of states with more expensive gas to reach your better options, how about something like this:

So from home to Patterson, NJ, get 3.88 gallons of gas ($7.36/1.899) to get back to full, and then from patterson NJ nonstop to Lima OH skipping over all of Pennsylvania which is alot more expensive than Ohio.  Why would you want a small gas tank, I don't see the benefit of a small tank, a large one you don't have to make as many stops for gas over the life of the car.

-=>Raja.

Edited by rbort, 19 February 2018 - 11:34 PM.

• Jonathan Ezor likes this

#8 OFFLINE   elnene2k

elnene2k

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationFairhaven, MA
  • My C-MAX:2014
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi SEL - Oxford White

Posted 20 February 2018 - 03:24 AM

That,thing, like the 2017 Prius, and mostly all other Prius, is fugly to my eye...

#9 OFFLINE   komondor

komondor

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 459 posts
  • Locationdenver

Posted 20 February 2018 - 06:14 AM

I think there is some rule I read about with the tank size.

Not to be rude but income of about 50K will equates to the 7500 tax credit. 

If you don't make enough to use the credit you might want to see if you can take some money out of a 401K pay the penalty and convert it to a Roth.  That could pay back big time when retirement comes.

#10 OFFLINE   cr08

cr08

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 166 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ice Storm C-Max Energi

Posted 26 February 2018 - 08:27 AM

The Clarity came back up again here in conversation the other day. Ever since getting my C-Max my cousin has been considering jumping into the EV/PHEV space. He's got a Subaru Crosstrek currently which he likes but skipped right out on the hybrid due to the piss poor mileage improvements. He's not too terribly fond of the C-Max for a couple of reasons and other than the Volt, nothing seems to really grab his attention. Except the Clarity came up. And it caused me to start doing some additional looking into it which looks extremely promising so far. One of the biggest new pluses I've seen is it potentially has a series hybrid mode like the Volt and also an HV charge mode. His work is also moving him to another building in a year or so which just recently added Chargepoint EVSE's to their employee only garages. So looks very promising for him.

Also out of pure luck I ended up taking a look again at the Toyota Highlander hybrid. My mom's been itching to get into a bigger SUV again. She had a Durango a while back and traded down to a Kia Sportage and wants to go back up to a 3 row SUV. Looks like Toyota possibly bumped the Highlander in the 2018 model year to a full size SUV and the hybrid model has seriously promising specs. All electric AWD. Atkinson cycle V6. Still rated at 30mpg city. That is pretty fantastic when you consider what some of the other current hybrid/PHEV SUV's get and the AWD Escape hybrids even got less mileage with the 2.5l i4's. I think they ran in the 28-29mpg city range for AWD. Sadly if that ever became an option it would have to be used down the road after they come off lease with the tax credits taken out of the resale cost.

#11 OFFLINE   RubyMax

RubyMax

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 678 posts
  • LocationNortheast Ohio
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi, 302A, Pano; Focus Electric

Posted 10 March 2018 - 01:26 PM

I saw the Clarity at the Cleveland Auto Show, and besides the 47 mile AER and MSRP similar to a C-Max Energi, I really do not care for the car.
The horizontal shelf where the gear selector lies, is just horrendous.  The slightly skirted rear tires, why?  The rear decklid is so high that they had to put an extra glass window in the rear hatch and one behind the seat leading to the cargo area, just to see out the back of the car. 

2018-Honda-Clarity-Review-Williams-25.jp2018-Honda-Clarity-Review-Williams-18.jp

Edited by RubyMax, 10 March 2018 - 01:31 PM.

#12 OFFLINE   jzchen

jzchen

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 507 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationArcadia, CA
  • My C-MAX:None
  • Current Vehicle:2018 Honda Clarity PHEV

Posted 19 March 2018 - 04:09 PM

Seems like my wife is just about to trade in her C-MAX for a Clarity....

#13 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,036 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 19 March 2018 - 05:05 PM

I'm in California visiting my brother.  I'm going to look at one with him.  He said tell them you're buying so they don't bug me with phone calls after the test drive to buy :)

-=>Raja.

#14 OFFLINE   komondor

komondor

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 459 posts
  • Locationdenver

Posted 19 March 2018 - 05:35 PM

Please post how she likes it 

#15 OFFLINE   jzchen

jzchen

Energi Member

• 507 posts
  • LocationArcadia, CA

Posted 20 March 2018 - 12:31 AM

I'm in California visiting my brother.  I'm going to look at one with him.  He said tell them you're buying so they don't bug me with phone calls after the test drive to buy :)

-=>Raja.

I don't have the C-MAX as of tonight, although I need to bring the title to the dealer tomorrow.  The paperwork says she gave it up for 8k, although she said they worked out a way to give her more discount on the Clarity to effectively bring it up to about 9k.  8k is too cheap, I wonder if I should dig into my savings and ask them if I can keep it....  Which part of CA?  If nearby maybe we can meet for lunch or something.  I'm afraid I was bedridden a few weeks ago, and am still not 100% to drive far for a meet up.  Long story short I found I have high BP, and still have some tingling/pain in my right arm/upper right back.....

Please post how she likes it 

I ended up driving it home.  For the extra power that it has it seems to labor in hybrid mode.  Once home I tried to sort out how to value charge.  It is NOT in the menus on the car, as far as I looked.  I downloaded the Honda Link app, which seems to include a fee based service after either 3 months or 1 year depending on what features you want to keep, and was able to change the setting to 10 pm which is the lowest off-peak pricing for us.  We just switched to TOU towards the end of Feb.  To complete the link with the app I needed to get a code from the car which is sent from the app.  It took a little bit to find it, and by then I had resent it three times, which invalidated each prior code.  It took a little time and maybe turn off and restart to get the resend messages onto the screen on the car.  I created an account for my wife, and then invited myself to be Secondary driver.  There is a very simple setting to just choose when the charging is to start, not the cool fancy setting that MyFordMobile has to set the relative costs depending on time of day!  I had to drive it around the block to complete the sync, and then was able to set the value charge.  (Ford even provided some TOU plans to download, but the plan I chose was not there, so I custom created one!)  When I went into reverse I immediately realized it does not have back up sensors that my wife's 302A package came with.  Sigh, although the Touring is really nice inside, I miss the C-MAX.....

Sorry if my English is not so clear.  I'm afraid my health issue has affected my thinking some....

Edited by jzchen, 20 March 2018 - 12:37 AM.

#16 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,036 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 20 March 2018 - 09:31 PM

jzchen:

I am just north of San Diego by about 20 miles.  Got my rental car today, a Hyandai Sonata.  They let me pick and choose between all the cars in that row whichever one I wanted.  I sat in a bunch, looked that the mpg history and gas range, and decided on this one because it was at 30.5mpg and 500 miles range on a tank.  By the time I drove it back to my brother's house (and reset the mpg) its at 37mpg now.  Not bad, but not like a hybrid.  I tried to ask for a hybrid, but they don't have any.  I'm stuck with a gas burner, but it seems to be the way for now for rentals.

I need to go visit a friend in Santa Clarita, probably this weekend.  Maybe I can stop by to say hi on the way there or on the way back.  Send me your contact info in a PM and I'll get in touch to see if we can work something out.

I would really miss my Cmax if I did have it any more.  I replaced my 2013 with a 2017 now and couldn't be happier that I got a 2nd chance with this car.    I'd say if you want to keep it try to persue that, or look into a newer one with Sync 3 and a fresh HVB might not even be a bad idea either.

-=>Raja.

#17 OFFLINE   jzchen

jzchen

Energi Member

• 507 posts
  • LocationArcadia, CA

Posted 21 March 2018 - 12:53 PM

So I found the menu item using the steering wheel controls. I can set a start time, and to fully charge, or I can set a start and stop time. That's all she wrote it seems. I have been driving these last two days mostly in electric mode. Yesterday all day on one charge. Barely got my son's cello in the back with the right side seats folded down, (a 60/40 split)....

Edited by jzchen, 21 March 2018 - 12:55 PM.

#18 OFFLINE   jzchen

jzchen

Energi Member

• 507 posts
  • LocationArcadia, CA

Posted 22 March 2018 - 02:30 AM

Drove one way about 30 miles or so to Encino.  On the way back stopped by Pasadena, (about 7 mi from home).   Got about an hour and ten min charge there after depleting on the way back.  Hard to tell when the car has switched to hybrid mode, at least so far.  Seems like the C-MAX set up is more well thought out and easier to use.  I did find the estimated range this early am on the Honda Link app to be 50 miles!  I guess the large battery is why it qualifies for up to the full $7500 federal tax credit....

#19 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,036 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 22 March 2018 - 07:06 AM

I'm interested in seeing this car.  My wife wants a new car but I don't think I'm going to convince her to get this, she's got her heart set on a Mini Countryman but it never hurts to look :)

-=>Raja.

#20 OFFLINE   cat-max

cat-max

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Locationillinois
  • My C-MAX:2014
  • Current Vehicle:Energi 302a

Posted 23 March 2018 - 05:07 PM

Raja, a Mini? Really? Don't they recommend using Premium fuel? That's like a double whammy! You may want to start using some of those hyper-mile tricks in your C-max to help recoup some of that cash at the pump. Just kidding, people seem to love there Mini's and if Mama ain't happy... well you know the rest. :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·