Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Fog lights hazy

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   MaxLB

MaxLB

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 113 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationSoCal
  • My C-MAX:2016
  • Current Vehicle:2016 C-Max NRG

Posted 13 January 2018 - 05:25 PM

After 30K miles, my headlights still look crystal clear, but my foglights look like crap; very hazy lenses.

I assume because they are close to the ground they catch a lot of road dirt.

Has anyone tried to clean or buff them out?

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   Jonathan Ezor

Jonathan Ezor

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 222 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationLong Island, NY
  • My C-MAX:2015
  • Current Vehicle:2015 C-MAX Energi

Posted 15 January 2018 - 09:53 AM

I haven't tried with this vehicle, but I've had great success on previous vehicles with the 3M Lens Restoration System: https://www.amazon.c...duct/B001AIZ5HY. {Jonathan}

#3 OFFLINE   GTIguy

GTIguy

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 75 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationDenver
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:2017 C-MAX Energi Titanium, 2014 C-Max Hybrid (daughter's car)

Posted 15 January 2018 - 10:14 AM

If it's really dirt, it should clean off with soap. If it's pitted with rock impacts, they might polish up with a headlight cleaner and fine sandpaper. If, on the other hand, it's a plastic lens that's gone hazy with UV light, the cure is in the past- you ought to have waxed them several times a year,  with the rest of the car. I doubt that would happen in one year in a west coast climate, though. 

I haven't had a chance to use my "fog lights" in real fog yet, but I've found another use. They're great for dark roads where pedestrians might be present, because the beam pattern is much wider than the headlights.

#4 OFFLINE   MaxLB

MaxLB

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 113 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationSoCal
  • My C-MAX:2016
  • Current Vehicle:2016 C-Max NRG

Posted 15 January 2018 - 05:32 PM

It's not dirt, at least not on the outside.  It doesn't look like pits either, it's more hazy.  I'm guessing they are hazy on the inside.  I've had this occur with some lights on other cars before and it's easy to clean up if you can get the assembly out of the car.  I have not tried to remove them yet.

I know it's not UV damage because the car sits facing north against a wall both at home and at work when parked.

Edited by MaxLB, 15 January 2018 - 05:32 PM.

#5 OFFLINE   Jonathan Ezor

Jonathan Ezor

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 222 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationLong Island, NY
  • My C-MAX:2015
  • Current Vehicle:2015 C-MAX Energi

Posted 16 January 2018 - 08:56 AM

It's not dirt, at least not on the outside.  It doesn't look like pits either, it's more hazy.  I'm guessing they are hazy on the inside.  I've had this occur with some lights on other cars before and it's easy to clean up if you can get the assembly out of the car.  I have not tried to remove them yet.

I know it's not UV damage because the car sits facing north against a wall both at home and at work when parked.

I will point out that damage from road grit can be tiny, not showing as or feeling like "pits" but rather just an overall haziness on the lens. The damage is microscopic but cumulative. Lens restoration systems like the 3M one I mentioned above basically buff out the outermost layer of the lens (again, on a microscopic layer) and get down to clear glass. It's an odd process; the 3M kit uses progressively finer grades of sandpaper, so the lens initially gets *much* worse but ends up clear. See this picture at https://sep.yimg.com...er-39008-25.jpgfor examples. {Jonathan}

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·