Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Roof Rack + Thule Cargo Box experiences?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   marlowefamily

marlowefamily

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 52 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationSan Diego
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:2017 Energi Titanium w/ Moonroof

Posted 13 January 2018 - 01:02 PM

Thinking of having the dealer install this on our almost 5 month old 2017 CMAX energi.  The box is supposedly removable, so would only be in place when we take long trips or really need the space.  We do have the panoramic moon roof, but the box shouldn't be an issue if its weight is on the rails.

What has everyone's experience been with long trips in the C-Max -- especially w/ 4 people in car.  Did a cargo box on the roof make sense?  Any problems other than a modest reduction in efficiency/driving range?

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   bschwerdt

bschwerdt

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 426 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationSyracuse, NY
  • My C-MAX:2015
  • Current Vehicle:2015 CMax Energi, 302A / 2017 Chevrolet Bolt Premier

Posted 15 January 2018 - 07:06 AM

I use a cargo box 2-3x a year on my CMax.  I have a removable Yakima rack with the round bars, and a 16 cu ft Thule box.  It's great for extra cargo - out of the way, and nearly doubles our cargo room!

The box/bars are loud, although they are louder when unloaded (the hollow box hums in the wind, and empty bars resonate without a box to steady them).

I found it's roughly a 10-15% hit to efficiency.

I do not have a panoramic roof, but I doubt it matters.  The Yakima "Q Towers" rest outside of the rain gutters, so it wouldn't touch the glass anyway.

• spirilis likes this

#3 OFFLINE   GTIguy

GTIguy

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 76 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationDenver
  • Current Vehicle:2017 C-MAX Energi Titanium, 2014 C-Max Hybrid (daughter's car)

Posted 15 January 2018 - 10:20 AM

When you need the cargo room, nothing else will do! I just sent my daughter off to college from Denver to Seattle, in her '14 C-Max Hybrid. Along the way she picked up three friends and their personal gear. The total load included an acoustic guitar in a big case, a mandolin, and a violin, skis and a vacuum cleaner! It was only possible because her own gear was in a Yakima box on top. We did something similar when four of us drove to see the eclipse, carrying camping gear in "the up top."

I'm sure the box compromises fuel economy somewhat, but not nearly as much as driving a minivan instead. I think it makes sense to buy a vehicle that meets your cargo needs 90% of the time, and for the rest, use a cargo carrier on the up top.

#4 OFFLINE   marlowefamily

marlowefamily

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 52 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationSan Diego
  • Current Vehicle:2017 Energi Titanium w/ Moonroof

Posted 15 January 2018 - 12:09 PM

Thanks!  Wasn't aware about Yakima cargo boxes....sounds like they might be better than the dealer recommended rails/thule box?  My c-max is relatively new w/ extended warranty so first inclination is to ensure dealer approves any significant mods to the car.

#5 OFFLINE   quiet_rider

quiet_rider

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Location01845
  • My C-MAX:2016
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi

Posted 16 January 2018 - 07:05 AM

A cargo box saved our summer vacation, 4 adults+dog. Read the manual, loading matters. Very impressed with mountain driving while loaded!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·