Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Buy or Bolt (literally)?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Jonathan Ezor

Jonathan Ezor

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 222 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationLong Island, NY
  • My C-MAX:2015
  • Current Vehicle:2015 C-MAX Energi

Posted 05 January 2018 - 08:26 AM

Thanks to all for the feedback. The BMW i3 does not interest me at all, REX or otherwise, for reasons of style (I think it's ugly), maintenance costs (likely far higher than for my C-MAX or a Bolt), and generally being unimpressed with it. That used C-MAX out east on Long Island is interesting, but I may not want to pay that much money (the mileage overage for my current C-MAX, *plus* the purchase price for the used 2017) for a used vehicle which is still at the end of its product lifetime and will likely not get much attention from Ford. I did see a 3-way comparison in Motor Trend this month among the Model 3, Bolt and Leaf which confirms my initial thought that, if I want to go BEV, the Bolt is basically the one to pick. (TL;DR version: Model 3 is a bit better for some people but w/a less practical back seat, is *way* more expensive for comparable range and also is not really available.) I'll keep you all informed as I get closer to June. {Jonathan}

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   komondor

komondor

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 476 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • Locationdenver
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX Energi

Posted 05 January 2018 - 12:29 PM

the 2017 is used but would still have most of the factory warranty.  Has the new Sync 3 and should be a good deal since it is an orphan but since the hybrid is still being made parts should not be an issue?

#23 OFFLINE   spirilis

spirilis

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 133 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationMaryland
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:2017 C-Max Energi SE Kona Blue

Posted 05 January 2018 - 01:10 PM

Is the Fusion Energi still being made in 2018?  I don't recall hearing anything about that discontinued... probably some of the Energi parts cross over between the two?

#24 OFFLINE   Jonathan Ezor

Jonathan Ezor

• 222 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 11:13 AM

the 2017 is used but would still have most of the factory warranty.  Has the new Sync 3 and should be a good deal since it is an orphan but since the hybrid is still being made parts should not be an issue?

It is a good point, and one I'd consider, although I still don't think the numbers work. Thanks. {Jonathan}

#25 OFFLINE   MaxLB

MaxLB

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 113 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationSoCal
  • My C-MAX:2016
  • Current Vehicle:2016 C-Max NRG

Posted 07 January 2018 - 02:50 PM

You sound like the perfect candidate for a Bolt lease.  

So you went over miles on your CMax lease, so what?  If you had bought the car those miles would just translate to lower resale or trade-in value.

Estimate your annual miles as best you can then lease a Bolt at the appropriate 10, 12 or 15K annual miles.  If you go over, you pay the delta, no big deal.  Just don't overestimate your miles because then you give them back a car with miles you paid for but didn't use.

With the EV technology curve what it is, it does not make sense to buy.

• Jonathan Ezor likes this

#26 OFFLINE   Jonathan Ezor

Jonathan Ezor

• 222 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 10:40 AM

You sound like the perfect candidate for a Bolt lease.  

So you went over miles on your CMax lease, so what?  If you had bought the car those miles would just translate to lower resale or trade-in value.

Estimate your annual miles as best you can then lease a Bolt at the appropriate 10, 12 or 15K annual miles.  If you go over, you pay the delta, no big deal.  Just don't overestimate your miles because then you give them back a car with miles you paid for but didn't use.

With the EV technology curve what it is, it does not make sense to buy.

That's sort of where I am. I have no problem buying (as I just did) the Pacifica PHEV Hybrid for my wife's daily driver and family trips, because as a minivan, it's both unique among PHEV/BEV choices and there's not likely to be much change in minivan tech over the next 5-ish years. I would have preferred to lease the Pacifica, for the reasons that you said, but there were no decent lease deals *at all* and the tax incentives made a major impact on the purchase price. It does, though, handily take the place of my C-MAX for those not-sure-if-I-can-charge-on-this-long-trip situations, *and* I don't really need two vehicles like that. Still, there's something to be said for owning one's car out right, and even if my C-MAX has lost a few percentage points on the battery, it still does phenomenally well as a commuter vehicle and a local driver. 

Thanks, all. If I decide I want to go BEV, seems like a Bolt lease is the way to go. If I stay PHEV for my personal vehicle, I think purchasing and keeping my trusted C-MAX is probably the right approach, all things considered. {Jonathan}

• cr08 likes this

#27 OFFLINE   bschwerdt

bschwerdt

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 426 posts
  • LocationSyracuse, NY
  • Current Vehicle:2015 CMax Energi, 302A / 2017 Chevrolet Bolt Premier

Posted 08 January 2018 - 03:01 PM

Jonathan,

I currently have both of these vehicles in my "fleet" - the CMax is my wife's commuter / our family road-trip car.  The Bolt is my commuter and our family local/regional car.  Here are a few things to think about.

The CMax is a very comfortable vehicle.  The seats are great, and the ride is pretty decent for its size.  The Bolt has a much stiffer suspension, and firmer seats.  Some people find them uncomfortable, although they are fine for me.

I find both cars' interior to be similar in quality - I personally don't understand the complaints that a Bolt "feels cheap".  But I have the Premier trim, maybe the LT is more plasticy?  Purely subjective anyway - see for yourself.  Make sure you look at a Bolt in the trim you intend to buy.

The Bolt is a blast to drive.  It is very responsive, and you don't have to worry about how much go-pedal you use, it has no engine to fire up.

The Bolt is also much roomier inside.  The CMax has a large intrusive center console where the Bolt has an open area for storage.  The kids also have more leg room in the back.

I bought my Bolt in October and already I was able to get a few thousand off MSRP (before incentives).  By now, you may be able to get an even better deal than I did.

Bottom line - test drive a Bolt before you decide.

#28 OFFLINE   MaxLB

MaxLB

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 113 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationSoCal
  • My C-MAX:2016
  • Current Vehicle:2016 C-Max NRG

Posted 08 January 2018 - 05:28 PM

Still, there's something to be said for owning one's car out right.

A car is a rapidly depreciating asset.  If you want to keep it for a a decade or more then yes, buying MAY be a good choice.  EVs are changing so quickly that this does not apply to this segment of the market.  For example, a gen1 Leaf or Prius is practically worthless now.

#29 OFFLINE   Levi Smith

Levi Smith

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • PipPip
  • 857 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 303A W Panoramic Roof

Posted 09 January 2018 - 07:03 AM

A car is a rapidly depreciating asset.  If you want to keep it for a a decade or more then yes, buying MAY be a good choice.  EVs are changing so quickly that this does not apply to this segment of the market.  For example, a gen1 Leaf or Prius is practically worthless now.

Hmm, there are some pretty big numbers to throw around there...

Sure, a first gen(in the US) Prius can be found fora grand or two, but that's true with a lot of 17 year old cars...

First gen Leaves are still under a decade old and they seem to still be over $5K.  But they are a whole different ballgame since I recall reading an article last year about if you were a savvy shopper about when and where with the rebates someone got a brand new one for like $15K.

So I'm not entirely sure how EV's fit in the market.  Not sure they are much different than others.  Depends on the individual.  i3's definitely seem to drop their value like stones.  Model 3's I'm guessing will hold a much higher value...

Either way, I'd say lease vs buy comes down to the model and more importantly your individual usage and how long you plan to keep it.  The biggest issue of course making sure you have your miles covered before you start a lease.

#30 OFFLINE   epic

epic

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 164 posts
  • Locationburnet ,texas
  • Current Vehicle:cmax energI

Posted 11 January 2018 - 03:54 AM

I have a bolt.great car.large interior like the cmax.your comute is nothing for the bolt .you will get back home with90 plus miles left.

#31 OFFLINE   bschwerdt

bschwerdt

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 426 posts
  • LocationSyracuse, NY
  • Current Vehicle:2015 CMax Energi, 302A / 2017 Chevrolet Bolt Premier

Posted 11 January 2018 - 06:06 AM

I have a bolt.great car.large interior like the cmax.your comute is nothing for the bolt .you will get back home with90 plus miles left.

Careful.  While there are no mountains there, Long Island gets a lot colder than anywhere in Texas usually does.  Cold weather definitely cuts into range.  He would certainly not return from a 134-mile round trip with 90+ miles left in January.  It will be more like 20-30 miles left.  Still doable, but there is much less buffer in the winter for those extra evening errands.

#32 OFFLINE   Jonathan Ezor

Jonathan Ezor

• 222 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 07:33 AM

Careful.  While there are no mountains there, Long Island gets a lot colder than anywhere in Texas usually does.  Cold weather definitely cuts into range.  He would certainly not return from a 134-mile round trip with 90+ miles left in January.  It will be more like 20-30 miles left.  Still doable, but there is much less buffer in the winter for those extra evening errands.

On the plus (?) side, I'm almost always hitting a lot of traffic, so I'd get a fair amount back in regen. :) {Jonathan}

#33 OFFLINE   spirilis

spirilis

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 133 posts
  • LocationMaryland
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:2017 C-Max Energi SE Kona Blue

Posted 11 January 2018 - 07:58 AM

I have noticed traffic congestion can be a boon to the mileage on my Focus Electric... all that regen and lower average speeds!

#34 OFFLINE   Levi Smith

Levi Smith

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • PipPip
  • 857 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 303A W Panoramic Roof

Posted 11 January 2018 - 08:08 AM

I have noticed traffic congestion can be a boon to the mileage on my Focus Electric... all that regen and lower average speeds!

yeah, lower speeds will definitely help the energy usage.  The regen is just better than wasting it as brake friction.  It's still a loss compared to a continual creep at a slower speed. (:

#35 OFFLINE   stolenmoment

stolenmoment

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 308 posts
  • LocationBoston
  • Current Vehicle:Maxwell Smart

Posted 11 January 2018 - 09:05 AM

I've often wondered how far we'd get if we just put it in L and kept our foot off the accelerator...  A salt flats question, perhaps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·