Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

looking to replace minivan...

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   kiva

kiva

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationNorthern CA
  • My C-MAX:None
  • Current Vehicle:none yet

Posted 31 December 2017 - 09:45 AM

Greetings

We're trying to get rid of our boat anchor of a minivan into something more economical with some $ left over.  We bought the minivan thinking our family would continue expanding, but turns out we're sticking to us + the twins (6 years old) + 50lb dog. 

The C-max caught my eye due to the large cabin area and EV range.  90% + of our daily driving would almost certainly be in EV mode.  However, the after-the-fact placement of the battery is making things really difficult.  Our other car is a 2003 VW TDI wagon and it's great, but getting long in the tooth.  It's not as safe as the new generation of cars and, with 266k miles, not as reliable (thought it hasn't done anything to us yet).  Thus, the C-max needs to be able to take our family of 4 with kids in high-back boosters + dog + cargo on a 6hr trip.  I heard there is a cargo expansion thread here (referred by Mr. Money Moustache) so going to start poking around.

The ones we've seen / driven have been 2014 model year in the $12k range with about 30k miles.  

Any suggestions / guidance / quick slap-downs-your-nuts-to-be-even-thinking-about-it are welcome.

matt

Edited by kiva, 31 December 2017 - 10:40 AM.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   ShoulderThingThatGoesUP

ShoulderThingThatGoesUP

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 145 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationEmmaus, PA
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi

Posted 31 December 2017 - 08:20 PM

That was me on the MMM forum. Here's the cargo hitch thread: http://fordcmaxenerg...-or-torklift-2/

#3 OFFLINE   Jonathan Ezor

Jonathan Ezor

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 216 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationLong Island, NY
  • My C-MAX:2015
  • Current Vehicle:2015 C-MAX Energi

Posted 02 January 2018 - 01:22 PM

Well, if you still need a minivan but want the economy of the C-MAX Energi, the new Chrysler Pacifica (also a plug-in hybrid) ticks all the boxes, and it is wonderful to drive, but it is admittedly very expensive even given federal and state incentives. {Jonathan}

• miboje likes this

#4 OFFLINE   Levi Smith

Levi Smith

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • PipPip
  • 832 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 303A W Panoramic Roof

Posted 03 January 2018 - 08:32 AM

Yeah, I'm not sure you're going to find a good fit unless you are OK with more limits...

I agree the Pacifica would be where I'd look if you still want space for what you describe.  There's no substitute for a minivan.  But the prices are out of the ballpark you're looking.

I've got 2 kids in high back boosters in the back of my C-Max and there is a bit of cargo room, but not a lot by any means.  I'm not even sure where a dog would go.  It would have to either curl up very small to fit under the arm wrest space on the seat in the back, or possibly lay across the the back floor under the kids feet.

I will take the wife & kids in Max for short trips and it's generally fine, but if anyone is bringing anything it gets a little awkward pretty quick.  And if we were taking an actual overnight trip there is definitely no way we could fit what we usually take.  It would require significant compromises to get things to fit.

So...  I'm not going to tell you it's impossible, but I can't see how it wouldn't be cramped compared to a minivan.  But that's going to be true of most any vehicle that's not a minivan.  I've not looked overly closely at the VW's, but I think you might be able to get an estimate if you removed about 70% of the cargo space in your VW Wagon.  Would the family be happy with it?

Personally I'm sticking with our 2011 AWD Sienna for the AWD abilities and Toyota Reliability.   It's replacement will likely be something along the lines of a 2018 AWD Sienna in maybe another 5 years.

#5 OFFLINE   kiva

kiva

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationNorthern CA
  • My C-MAX:None
  • Current Vehicle:none yet

Posted 04 January 2018 - 10:46 AM

Yeah, I'm not sure you're going to find a good fit unless you are OK with more limits...

I agree the Pacifica would be where I'd look if you still want space for what you describe.  There's no substitute for a minivan.  But the prices are out of the ballpark you're looking.

I've got 2 kids in high back boosters in the back of my C-Max and there is a bit of cargo room, but not a lot by any means.  I'm not even sure where a dog would go.  It would have to either curl up very small to fit under the arm wrest space on the seat in the back, or possibly lay across the the back floor under the kids feet.

I will take the wife & kids in Max for short trips and it's generally fine, but if anyone is bringing anything it gets a little awkward pretty quick.  And if we were taking an actual overnight trip there is definitely no way we could fit what we usually take.  It would require significant compromises to get things to fit.

So...  I'm not going to tell you it's impossible, but I can't see how it wouldn't be cramped compared to a minivan.  But that's going to be true of most any vehicle that's not a minivan.  I've not looked overly closely at the VW's, but I think you might be able to get an estimate if you removed about 70% of the cargo space in your VW Wagon.  Would the family be happy with it?

Personally I'm sticking with our 2011 AWD Sienna for the AWD abilities and Toyota Reliability.   It's replacement will likely be something along the lines of a 2018 AWD Sienna in maybe another 5 years.

It is starting to look like it's either keep the van and, instead, replace the old TDI with an EV or replace van with a prius v.  I appreciate the feedback!

• miboje likes this

#6 OFFLINE   Levi Smith

Levi Smith

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • PipPip
  • 832 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 303A W Panoramic Roof

Posted 04 January 2018 - 10:55 AM

It is starting to look like it's either keep the van and, instead, replace the old TDI with an EV or replace van with a prius v.  I appreciate the feedback!

It would certainly depend on the specifics, but if it's a fit I'd probably go with the TDI/EV swap.

Prius V would definitely get you more cargo room than the C-Max(Personally I'd sooner trust the Toyota reliability as well). But that's definitely still a SIGNIFICANT downsize from a minivan.  Certainly more doable than a C-Max Energi, but that sounds like a rough trip for distance. I'm still picturing the dog having to lay on the floor in front of the back seats if there's cargo...

But some people can travel light.  My cousin did a lot of traveling (like Tennessee to NY distances) in a Prius(not a V) with wife and 3 kids in car seats.  I just can't fathom that.

#7 OFFLINE   fotomoto

fotomoto

Energi Member

• 1,221 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationSouth Texas
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX

Posted 05 January 2018 - 08:39 AM

I'm familiar with MM and saw he has discovered how economical EV driving/ownership can be!

We bought the minivan thinking our family would continue expanding, but turns out we're sticking to us + the twins (6 years old) + 50lb dog. 

No way a CMax or Energi would fit all this AND luggage on a trip.   I know because I have a similar scenario (the kids are now teenagers) and a 60 lb dog.   We use our Outback in these cases which has reasonably similar highway mileage as my Energi (30-32 vs 33-37).  Obviously, it's no contest the rest of the time.  You would need a hitch and cargo carrier for luggage to possibly make the Energi work which is not a large expense.  However, I don't think the dog would fit in the Energi hatch though because mine barely fits in the back seats!  (greyhound).  We split the 60/40 Outback rear seats for her to use the 40 side but because the Energi has a steep step down when you do this, it won't really work.

Although it's not a plug-in, you should considered a Prius v (wagon).

We had two mini-vans starting when the kids were born and except for the MPG's, I loved everything about them.  If the Pacifica hybrid would have been around then......

Edited by fotomoto, 05 January 2018 - 08:42 AM.

• Jonathan Ezor likes this

#8 OFFLINE   miboje

miboje

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationPA
  • My C-MAX:2014
  • Current Vehicle:Ford C-Max Energi, Ford F-350 SD w/ 6.0 PSD

Posted 07 January 2018 - 10:26 AM

That rear cargo area is not a safe place for a dog. The only way I can see it working with a CMax is if the dog can stay on the floor behind the front seats, which still isn't 100% safe. Our dog has a true car harness, and we only have a teenager to be back there with him, so it works for us. The car seats take up so much room. The PHEV Pacifica would be the right fit, or a Prius V a good second choice. I wonder if the small Toyota hybrid SUV would work? Again, not sure if there is a way to make the dog safe in the cargo area. The upcoming KIa Niro PHEV might work, if it's within your budget and you can wait.

#9 OFFLINE   GTIguy

GTIguy

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 74 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationDenver
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:2017 C-MAX Energi Titanium, 2014 C-Max Hybrid (daughter's car)

Posted 11 January 2018 - 09:37 PM

I think a C-Max is a great replacement for a TDI wagon! It's considerably longer and wider. I'd avoid the energi model and buy a hybrid, to gain back a lot of hatch space. Just don't expect it to do the job of a minivan, that's a much larger beast.

Right now my daughter is driving her 2014 Hybrid from Denver to college in Tacoma, WA. She picked up one friend in Boulder, and another in ParkCity. Tomorrow they'll reach Portland, where she gets a third passenger. We'll see how that goes. Her stuff is mostly in a Yakima cargo box on the roof, which is another option to double the hatch space. I bet the storm winds up in Wyoming were interesting,,,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·