Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Heat on short trips

heat hvac

• Please log in to reply
127 replies to this topic

#121 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,860 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 02 January 2018 - 09:58 AM

#1, What is fast on the ICE?  Mine always ran at 1500 rpms to warm up any time it starts.  Its pegged to this rpm can cannot run any faster.

#2, Yes I'm talking about driving in the city with heat.

#3, If your engine starts, and you turn on the heat, the car uses the electric heater as well as the ice to warm up the coolant, together.  Its ALWAYS like this until the coolant goes above 130 to 135F depending on OAT, then the ICE heat only is used.  Its not trying to use excess power, its trying to make demanded heat as fast as possible.

#4 If you start the car and go down a hill regardless summer or winter, the ice will start if you use L or hill decent.  If you hold the car back with the brake, the car is smart enough to cut off regen and not start the ICE.

Just remember, " During THAT time, the heat should only be helping to use some waste charge ", its not, its using electric heat to HELP the ICE warm the coolant as quick as possible.  Using "waste charge" is never part of the equation, there is no such thing.  If the battery is charged enough, the ice stops charging it which means gets better gas mileage.

-=>Raja.

Edited by rbort, 02 January 2018 - 09:58 AM.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#122 OFFLINE   Levi Smith

Levi Smith

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • PipPip
  • 798 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 303A W Panoramic Roof

Posted 02 January 2018 - 10:06 AM

OK, here's the quote from StolenMoment's post:

<<The insanely high revs when I took my foot off the accelerator pedal (because the battery was still charged) was a bit of a surprise...>>

So as far as I can read we're talking about #4 on your list. 100% charge downhill in L or hill descent.

In THAT situtation.  You've got more energy than you can use.  During the time you are going down the hill, you're either wasting that energy to spin the ICE and/or heat up the friction brakes.  So, there's no reason not to have it use some of that energy to fire up the electric heater and start heating some coolant.  I watched mine the other day where I descend for a minute or so.  Heater is drawing max power and I'm still watching my battery charge increase.

So if I were going down that hill with a fully charged battery I am either:

a) using the brakes and wasting the energy as friction and heating the brakes

b) Using L or hill descent and listening to the ICE spin up(it's WAAAY faster than 1500RPM at that time)

Either way, turning the heater on during that time is just going to be a bit less energy that's going to heat the brakes or spin the ICE and instead will heat the coolant a bit.

#123 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,860 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 02 January 2018 - 10:32 AM

I've been driving this car for 4 1/2 years and if you want to be smart about it never use L to spin the engine going down hill.  I've never done that if I made that mistake and forgot then I stop, turn the car off and start over.  Once you spin the ice its running already, the brakes are there for a reason, and in this case you can use the pads its not a problem.  You hardly ever use them anyways and brake pads are cheap.  Besides, mine still looked like new even after 73k miles on the first Cmax.

If you turn on the heater it will use battery power, and if you use the brake pedal as the heater takes power from the battery regen will start coming on more and more to compensate for it.  So you will get the same result without disturbing the engine and without burning fuel as it will keep it running anyways with fuel its not just spin free and stop spinning, once you engage it its running until warmup.  If you want to stop it then you have to ignition cycle.

Rule of thumb, never use L or hill decent when the battery is 100% full, wait until you drop to 99% before you start doing it, and if you go back to 100% watch the charge times, when you are at 0.1 / 0.3 240v/120v there is no more room just about, you need to quit hill decent or L if you get back up that high.  It goes 0.2/0.6, 0.2/0.5, 0.2/0.4, 0.1/0.3, 0.1/0.2 and then eventually 0.0/0.0.  That sort of gives you an ideal of charge level at from 0.2/0.5 to full its always saying 100% at the console.

-=>Raja.

Edited by rbort, 02 January 2018 - 10:32 AM.

#124 OFFLINE   Levi Smith

Levi Smith

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • PipPip
  • 798 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 02 January 2018 - 10:35 AM

That's fine as well.  You can certainly use the friction brakes down long hills if you so desire.  And still if your battery is at 100% then turning on the heater during that time isn't going to use any more energy.  It will just be a bit less that goes into heating and wearing out your brakes.

#125 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,860 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 02 January 2018 - 04:33 PM

You can’t be too worried about wearing out the brakes, the way waaay less expensive than wearing out the engine and or burning gas.

It’s like the same thought when I was a kid I used to downshift to slow down all the time. I wore out my clutch a couple of times on my first car in over 200k miles. You know what, back then the clutch cost $500 to fix vs brake pads at $20.

And besides, what would every other car do going downhill....use the brakes...

-=>Raja.

#126 OFFLINE   Levi Smith

Levi Smith

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • PipPip
  • 798 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 03 January 2018 - 08:18 AM

And besides, what would every other car do going downhill....use the brakes...

-=>Raja.

Depends on the hills and circumstances.  On my larger hills I use L, Hill descent and/or Brakes(for regen) on Max, and I downshift the Sienna to 2nd gear when I go down hills.

Around here the little hills we don't generally have to stop at the bottom so I just leave the cruise on.  But the good sized ones where I see 10% battery recharge are the ones that also have stop signs at the bottom.(well one has a 90 degree bend)

#127 OFFLINE   stolenmoment

stolenmoment

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 269 posts
  • LocationBoston
  • Current Vehicle:Maxwell Smart

Posted 03 January 2018 - 08:37 AM

Where did you get -20F in Boston, is that possible?  There was no such thing here, in Franklin at 2:30am last night it was -3F with the full moon.  I went outside to take the garbage out, forgot about it.  Anyway, 100% sure if never got that cold here.  Maybe your thermometer is incorrect?  I think 0 is about right from the car, -20 might not be.

-=>Raja.

The -20 was the kitchen thermometer, and the zero reading was within a couple of degrees of the car's external temp when I went outside.  I'm in Concord, not too many miles north of you.

Edited by stolenmoment, 03 January 2018 - 08:38 AM.

#128 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,860 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 03 January 2018 - 04:10 PM

Not that it matters much, but that kitchen thermometer must be wrong.  I had one of those outside my window, the white dial with the red needle?  Anyways I looked at concord weather history, and monday night into tuesday morning shows a low of -4F.  I saw -3F in Franklin at 2am.  So its close.  I can't believe it was 17 degrees colder there at -20, that doesn't make sense, wasn't even that cold in Montreal, and they are certainly alot colder than us, just checked it was a low of -11F there.

-=>Raja.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·