Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Sometimes fails to wait for Value Charge time, starts charging during expensive time

value charging bug problem

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   chimichurri

chimichurri

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationCalifornia
  • My C-MAX:2016
  • Current Vehicle:2016 C-Max Energi

Posted 15 December 2017 - 09:48 PM

Sometimes, apparently at random, my 2016 C-Max Energi ignores its Value Charge setting and starts charging immediately. Has this happened to anyone else? Do you have any suggestions?

Soon after I got the car I called Ford technical support. After I explained the problem, they escalated it to another team. Eventually they called me back and only offered to teach me how value charging works. This did not address the problem. They then told me to ask my local Ford service department. So when I took the car in for 10k service, I described the problem to them too. After investigating, they also responded by giving me more information about how value charging works.

The problem is this:

1. The car is set to Value Charge when at home.
  2. When at home, I plug in the car. Say it's 6 pm, during peak electric rates.
  3. Usually, the car waits to start charging until 11 pm, when the cheap rates start.
  4. But sometimes, apparently at random, the car starts charging. This happened this evening, and I didn't realize it was charging at the most expensive electric rates until 9 pm.
  5. I turn on the car.
  6. On the multi-function display, tap over to apps, electric vehicle -- the screen that shows that the current charge setting is Value Charge.
  7. At this point, the car stops charging.

This seems entirely buggy to me. I want Ford to acknowledge and fix the problem, but I have not yet been able to get them to acknowledge that it is a problem.

Thanks!

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   ahc19081

ahc19081

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationPA
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max

Posted 16 December 2017 - 04:22 AM

Happens all the time (that is, it is entirely random — value charging sometimes works and sometimes does not, with no discernible pattern, though simply checking on the state of value charging using the app often seems to “flip” the setting). I love this car but I don’t believe Ford corporate has the slightest awareness or interest in maintaining their software — and certainly it’s not anything that a dealer service department can fix. Iterating on software is simply not built into Ford’s, or probably any legacy automaker’s, corporate culture. I’m just grateful when it works.

#3 OFFLINE   MaxLB

MaxLB

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 113 posts
  • LocationSoCal
  • Current Vehicle:2016 C-Max NRG

Posted 06 January 2018 - 03:53 PM

Yep, happens to me about once a month.  Seems to me like the car forgets where it is (at Home) and starts charging.

#4 ONLINE   cr08

cr08

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 187 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ice Storm C-Max Energi

Posted 06 January 2018 - 04:22 PM

I thought I had read somewhere, maybe on the Fusion Energi forums, that it will begin charging immediately if under a given SOC and once to that set point it will stop and wait til the set value charge times. If I find that info again I'll add it.

#5 OFFLINE   MaxLB

MaxLB

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 113 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 07 January 2018 - 10:23 AM

I thought I had read somewhere, maybe on the Fusion Energi forums, that it will begin charging immediately if under a given SOC and once to that set point it will stop and wait til the set value charge times. If I find that info again I'll add it.

I read that somewhere too.  10% SOC I think is what I read.  But in practice I've never seen the car do that.

#6 OFFLINE   stolenmoment

stolenmoment

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 308 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationBoston
  • Current Vehicle:Maxwell Smart

Posted 08 January 2018 - 06:16 AM

I did see that back when I used the charge scheduling; it would charge to 10% then stop.

#7 OFFLINE   RickOzone

RickOzone

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
  • Region:Canada Ontario
  • LocationToronto
  • Current Vehicle:Energi

Posted 28 February 2018 - 09:37 PM

I found that if the value charge period is shorter than the time estimated to reach full charge, then it will start charging right away.  I was trying to set it to limit the SoC (state of charge) to less than 100%, but that didn't work.   In one case, it stopped charging at about 50% then resumed charging some hours latter to reach 100% near the end time of value charge period.

#8 OFFLINE   jzchen

jzchen

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 521 posts
  • LocationArcadia, CA
  • My C-MAX:None
  • Current Vehicle:2018 Honda Clarity PHEV

Posted 06 March 2018 - 06:17 AM

It notes on the website, or somewhere, that Value charge is not available when fast charging.

So if I set Default to Charge now, and my Home location to Value Charge, it will immediately charge anytime on the Level 2 we have.
If I set Default AND Home location to Value Charge, it will wait until the correct time to charge.

Sadly this results in sometimes forgetting to change Default to Charge now, and outside charge stations will not charge the vehicle when plugged in during peak/costly hours.

#9 OFFLINE   MaxLB

MaxLB

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 113 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 10 March 2018 - 04:58 PM

I just came home from some errands.  When I turned the car off the center display say the car would be charged by 10:19 p.m. FRIDAY!  Hey car, it's SATURDAY!

Seriously, could the DST adjustment tonight be confusing the car somehow?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: value charging, bug, problem

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·