Sometimes, apparently at random, my 2016 C-Max Energi ignores its Value Charge setting and starts charging immediately. Has this happened to anyone else? Do you have any suggestions?
Soon after I got the car I called Ford technical support. After I explained the problem, they escalated it to another team. Eventually they called me back and only offered to teach me how value charging works. This did not address the problem. They then told me to ask my local Ford service department. So when I took the car in for 10k service, I described the problem to them too. After investigating, they also responded by giving me more information about how value charging works.
The problem is this:
- The car is set to Value Charge when at home.
- When at home, I plug in the car. Say it's 6 pm, during peak electric rates.
- Usually, the car waits to start charging until 11 pm, when the cheap rates start.
- But sometimes, apparently at random, the car starts charging. This happened this evening, and I didn't realize it was charging at the most expensive electric rates until 9 pm.
- I turn on the car.
- On the multi-function display, tap over to apps, electric vehicle -- the screen that shows that the current charge setting is Value Charge.
- At this point, the car stops charging.
This seems entirely buggy to me. I want Ford to acknowledge and fix the problem, but I have not yet been able to get them to acknowledge that it is a problem.