Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Continuing to evolve driving habbits on 2017 C-Max Energi

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   marlowefamily

marlowefamily

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 52 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationSan Diego
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:2017 Energi Titanium w/ Moonroof

Posted 11 December 2017 - 02:41 PM

What's wierd is that 3 months in and I'm still continuing to evolve my driving habits on the Energi:

September - Followed the normal technique advertised in this forum where I stay under 2 bars acceleration in auto mode for most driving, and then go to ev-later when getting on the freeway.  This generated decent MPGe numbers, but horrible EV driving range (18-23 Miles).

October - Kept car in EV-now mode most of the time, except when getting on freeway.  Learned to coast the car whenever possible and have hybrid assist enabled whenever possible.   Average MPGe increased to around 84, but EV range kept in the 20-25 mile band.

November - Since I live in a high electricity cost region, I noticed that according to various online MPGe calculators that driving 250 miles at 42MPG gas was only a buck or two more expensive than driving the same distance with 120MPGe electric.   Electric can regularly reach around 25 cents/KWH here.  Also, I found myself wanting to reduce the frequency at which I recharged the electric battery.   So, I switched my driving pattern so that while I continue to coast and have hybrid assist whenever I can, I'm switching to EV later immediately whenever I'm in any area with hills or where I might go >50MPH - reserving EV now mode only for when I'll be driving in flat or downhill areas between 25-45MPH.   Average MPG has gone down into the low 70's, but EV range is oscillating between 28-40 Miles. 

What I haven't tried:

- ECO Cruise Mode, I'll experiment with this during my next road trip.

- Switching frequently between EV auto and EV later while driving on the freeway (seems like too much of a hassle).

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   Tom_NC_1

Tom_NC_1

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,077 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNC
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 302a

Posted 12 December 2017 - 05:32 AM

Over the past couple of years  frequently drive on the Freeway. As a rule set the car to EV later. Use EV at times when heavy traffic causes slows to a crawl. Also use EV on one three mile stretch where I can maintain highway speeds with a little over one bar. Most of the time I have let go of trying to use every last KW on a trip. I don't mind getting home without using all the available power in the HVB. ECO Cruise is my preference as well any time the traffic permits. 

I also decided that driving a warm car in cold weather is a preference and with switch to EV later when I want the cabin more comfortable. My daily 60 mile drives takes about a gallon go Gas and one charge. That is easy to live with.

Tom

#3 OFFLINE   P=E/t

P=E/t

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 310 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationPhiladelphia PA
  • My C-MAX:2014
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi

Posted 12 December 2017 - 05:28 PM

When highway driving is involved, I drive in EV Now on surface roads and EV Later on the highway. Always nets great mileage if I go 55-60 mph on the highway portion. Faster, and air resistance starts to take its toll. As drag increases with the square of velocity.

When driving beyond electric range on surface roads, I’ve always tried to use EV Later on efficient stretches of road, which means areas of flat ground, minimal traffic lights and stop signs; any area where movement is relatively unencumbered.

Lately, and ONLY in cool or cold weather, I’ve taken to using EV Mode up big, long hills and slow traffic and EV Later for everything else. This avoids using the ICE in inefficient conditions where mpg is less than 20 or so. Why not use the battery to overcome that inefficiency?

Not in hot weather though. The rise in HVB temp is too dangerous.

Edited by P=E/t, 12 December 2017 - 05:37 PM.

#4 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 689 posts
  • LocationNewnan,GA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 CMAX Hybrid

Posted 13 December 2017 - 06:46 AM

Does anyone use Neutral going down hills instead of regen/drive to increase efficiency? :headscratch:  Should be 10-20% more efficient. :smile2:

Paul

#5 OFFLINE   cwstnsko

cwstnsko

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 361 posts
  • Region:Canada Prairie Provinces
  • LocationWinnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
  • My C-MAX:2015
  • Current Vehicle:2015 C-Max Energi

Posted 13 December 2017 - 11:08 AM

As I get closer to the end of my lease, I did the math and figured out that the difference between enjoying a warm car with the engine running part of the time and driving a cool car that never starts the engine was only going to result in me turning the car back to Ford with an empty tank vs a full one :-) 

Even with enjoying the heat so far this winter, I'm just now down to 1/4 tank on the fill-up I did in July.  My lease is up at the end of May, so I'll likely fill the tank once early next year, and should only have to fill it a 2nd time if I take a road trip to ND or Ontario before the end of the lease. Worst case scenario, my "wasteful" driving with the heat on will cost me 1 partial fill-up before the end of the lease.

Today was the 1st time in a while that I ran through the whole battery in one trip, and after 2.5 years of mostly EV driving I am down to about 5.0 kWh (at -8C) from roughly 5.5 when new (at about 15C), so I've lost about 10% of my usable capacity. 

I was considering buying the car at the end of the lease, but a tourist in a rental car changed that this last summer by blowing through a stop sign and nearly totaling my car. Insurance spent over $15k having the car repaired, and with that on the CarFax, it will never bring a fair price at resale. 

After my lease is up, for the rest of my time in Canada, I'll be driving a Jeep Grand Cherokee Ecodiesel, which works great for pulling the boat to and from the lake.  When I get back to the states (and out of the cold), I may start looking for a smokin' deal on a low miles ELR with adaptive cruise control. :-)

#6 OFFLINE   P=E/t

P=E/t

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 310 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia PA
  • My C-MAX:2014
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi

Posted 14 December 2017 - 04:10 PM

Does anyone use Neutral going down hills instead of regen/drive to increase efficiency? :headscratch: Should be 10-20% more efficient. :smile2:

Paul

Yes. At the top of hills, I often lightly ‘goose it’ a bit in D, and then shift to N and let the hill accelerate me. The reason is that converting potential energy to kinetic energy via gravity is 100% efficient, while converting potential energy in the battery to kinetic energy via the drivetrain is at best 90% (maybe less?) efficient.

I also shift into N a lot on moderately long straight level stretches of road. It’s easier to achieve a nearly steady speed this way than to try to find the exact pedal position in D that doesn’t accelerate or decelerate.
  • ptjones and SELT like this

#7 OFFLINE   marlowefamily

marlowefamily

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 31 December 2017 - 03:03 PM

So, I drove around 500+ miles over the holidays...mostly on Southern California freeways that almost require 85MPH speeds...in fact, at a few points, I found myself briefly going 90-95MPH to keep up with other traffic.    At 75MPH, I was worried I would be considered a road hazard as every car was bypassing and switching lanes -- some cars blinking their lights at me or tailgating to encourage me to speed up.

I was surprised how well the C-Max handled.....and I still got 40-42MPG freeway driving on long trips. 55-60MPG freeway for short trips - and that was with 3 passengers + 1 dog + luggage.

We'd normally travel in a SUV, but I just sold our 15yr old Honda Pilot off for $8K.  Going forward, I'm wondering if I should get a roof rack installed plus one of the overhead cargo containers.....although the moonroof might be an issue.  This is only for the next 4yrs or so...until Ford releases a more fuel efficient, perhaps plugin hybrid version of the expedition or explorer.  Given I'm in Southern California, I won't be buying any more pure gas vehicles. 

Not interested in a Tesla SUV - I prefer plugin hybrid....and, I hate their computer/large laptop type controls/displays.  Give me lots of tiny screens and/or gauges/buttons which the C-Max offers perfectly.

• ptjones likes this

#8 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 689 posts
  • LocationNewnan,GA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 CMAX Hybrid

Posted 01 January 2018 - 12:57 PM

marlowefamily" So, I drove around 500+ miles over the holidays...mostly on Southern California freeways that almost require 85MPH speeds...in fact, at a few points, I found myself briefly going 90-95MPH to keep up with other traffic.    At 75MPH, I was worried I would be considered a road hazard as every car was bypassing and switching lanes -- some cars blinking their lights at me or tailgating to encourage me to speed up."

When it gets crazy like that I try to catch a Semi to follow, speeders don't mess with them and it improves my MPG's too. :smile2: 

Paul

#9 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,129 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 01 January 2018 - 04:42 PM

I never have that problem in California.  I set it to 65 and ride in the right lane.  People just go around zip this way and that.  I'm not sure I understand why you have to speed but I guess people feel unsafe going the normal limit speed so they speed with a false sense of security.

-=>Raja.

Edited by rbort, 01 January 2018 - 04:42 PM.

#10 OFFLINE   bobs

bobs

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 69 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationNew York
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Cmax Energi

Posted 02 January 2018 - 05:10 AM

Raja you might want to read this https://www.motorist...s-slower-safer/You will find many studies that suggest the same thing.

It is not good for fuel economy, your license or maybe even the safety level of the car, but it appears to be how things work.

Bob

#11 OFFLINE   marlowefamily

marlowefamily

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 02 January 2018 - 09:45 PM

In CA, drivers are always reminded that they are responsible for determining the safe speed to drive...not the speed limit.   Although, yes, CA loves to give out speeding tickets...but they can also give out tickets if your driving at a speed that is burdening other drivers, even if you are going at the designated state specified speed.  It is frequently pointed out that drivers should look at current driving conditions and speed up or slow down as necessary to not get in the way of other drivers.    Having dozens of cars tailgate and pass you on a single trip is certainly an indicator.

I don't like going any faster than 75MPH, honestly 55MPH is probably good enough for me....but holiday driving on the freeways between San Diego and Los Angeles doesn't seem to show any correlation between what drivers drive and what the speed limit says.

• cr08 likes this

#12 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,129 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 19 March 2018 - 05:11 PM

OK, so I'm in southern California, and I'm driving around on the freeways.  I drove today to Palo Mesa and back, never went much past 68mph.  In most cases I was in the 60s and up hills I was in the 50's sometimes.  Downhill I broke 70 to 72 tops with no gas pressed but that's it.  

I didn't get run over.

I didn't see the need to be driving 80mph to be "safe".

I didn't have anyone honk at me.

I practically had no issues driving the speed limit or 5mph below it (speed limit 70 I was going 65).  No-one bothered me.  

I don't get it...I said this before and I guess I'm saying this again, I don't find it necessary to go 80mph in California highways to blend into traffic.

By the way, I drove my brother's Prius and upper his average MPG number from 45.6 to 48.8   :salute:

-=>Raja.

Edited by rbort, 19 March 2018 - 05:16 PM.

• ptjones likes this

#13 OFFLINE   dontfret

dontfret

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 426 posts
  • LocationUnited States
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX Energi

Posted 20 March 2018 - 12:55 PM

• "I didn't get run over.
  • I didn't see the need to be driving 80mph to be "safe".
  • I didn't have anyone honk at me."

'Cause was you in a Prius - other drivers were treating you with sympathy and compassion - they know the hamster under the hood is running as fast as he can on the little treadmill.    :shift:  Not like our Cmax with TWO engines!!!

And aren't you glad to be here in sunny SoCal, instead of shoveling your way out of Nor'Easter #4 happy%20feet.gif  Welcome back Raja.

Edited by dontfret, 20 March 2018 - 12:55 PM.

• ptjones likes this

#14 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,129 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 20 March 2018 - 09:35 PM

Good to be back Rich!  In a sort of weird way, I'm going to miss that snow.  I don't mind it at all to be honest, I like seasons and love the white stuff.  I guess it will be all gone once I get back.

Are you still driving the 2013, or did I read somewhere you traded it in?

-=>Raja.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·