Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Sad to say I’m going to drop out of the CMax energy fan club

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   xochicasa

xochicasa

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationMedford Ma
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:C Max 2013

Posted 28 November 2017 - 10:45 AM

I’ve had the car for two years and absolutely loved it until last August. The 12 V battery was replaced after the car started randomly not starting.. After 12 V battery replacement card kept dying. I will go out in the morning and it wouldn’t turn on just at random times no pattern. I brought it in last week for the Tsb16 0157 TCU embedded modem recall. I have been going to Bonnell Ford in Winchester and they didn’t even tell me about it (terrible dealership). I went to Stoneham Ford to have this work done and they also reprogrammed the APIM module. Now the car will not turn off if it’s plugged in. I went out this morning the car was plugged in I started it and the message came up “must unplug before starting vehicle” trying to turn the ignition off and nothing happened. It just stayed on. It only turned off if I got out and unplugged it. The act of pulling the plug out actually initiated the ignition shutting down. There were all kinds of weird clicks coming from the front under the hood and on the inside while this was happening. I also found out that it had to have work done on the wiring harness. It’s a C max energy 2013 . Now how my supposed to keep this car if it could start randomly shorting out from any of the points on the wiring harness? The fix at Ford suggests of taping the wiring how is that supposed to help in the long term because it’s a known issue shouldn’t the entire thing be rewired with the correct safe wiring? I’m just very very sad. I really love the car and I thought about getting a later model trading it in and getting a later model with the extended warranty. But I think I’m just going to give up and get a Honda CRV. It’s just too scary owning a car that’s this unreliable.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,954 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 28 November 2017 - 03:06 PM

But I think I’m just going to give up and get a Honda CRV

Don't do it.  Trade it in for a 2017 Energi before they are gone.  Its the best car I ever drove, I had the 2013 and now the 2017 even better fuel economy!!

If you do stay with the Cmax you're my neighbor, we can meet sometime for coffee and I can give you pointers on how to get the best performance out of it if you like.

-=>Raja.

Edited by rbort, 28 November 2017 - 03:07 PM.

#3 OFFLINE   xochicasa

xochicasa

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationMedford Ma

Posted 29 November 2017 - 04:46 AM

Raja, I know that you’re a big fan of the car, but I think you lucked out when you’re 2013 got totaled before it started developing issues. I’m burnt on this car . I’m very sad about it because it was a great deal but I guess you get what you pay for every time

#4 OFFLINE   xochicasa

xochicasa

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationMedford Ma

Posted 29 November 2017 - 04:49 AM

People who rave about these cars have new models. Down the road it gets sad. I like to buy a car and then keep it for 10 years hundred thousand minimum. And isn’t 200,000 more the norm these days?

#5 OFFLINE   Tom_NC_1

Tom_NC_1

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,052 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNC
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 302a

Posted 29 November 2017 - 05:26 AM

People who rave about these cars have new models. Down the road it gets sad. I like to buy a car and then keep it for 10 years hundred thousand minimum. And isn’t 200,000 more the norm these days?

I have been a fan of this car since I got mine in 2013. I agree with you that keeping a car for 10 or more years and about 200k miles is a good goal. I usually go 14 years and 160k miles. My 2004 Ranger is currently 13 years old and at 122k miles with no plans to trade any time soon. My C-Max is 4 1/2 years old with 63k mile. 8 to 10 years was and is still my goal with this car.

I am quite pleased with it in performance and the size fits my needs well. The lack of sufficient HVB cooling has been the main issue. The car was advertised with a EV range of about 20 miles. About everyone exceeded that when the car was new. Over time and due mostly to overheating the HVB, the usable capacity on mine has been reduced to about 4kWh. Most people complain about the lost capacity and I am no exception as I would rather it would have not happened. I do keep in mind that the car still goes an average of 20 EV miles per charge. Ford advertised EV miles and never promised any specific amount of usable kWhs. 

Buying new technology is always a risk. As time goes on there are more and better EV driving choices. Technology changes over the next 5 years should be equally exciting. Hopefully Ford will be among the choices moving forward.

Tom

#6 OFFLINE   jzchen

jzchen

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 499 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationArcadia, CA
  • My C-MAX:None
  • Current Vehicle:2018 Honda Clarity PHEV

Posted 29 November 2017 - 07:18 AM

Don't do it.  Trade it in for a 2017 Energi before they are gone.  Its the best car I ever drove, I had the 2013 and now the 2017 even better fuel economy!!

If you do stay with the Cmax you're my neighbor, we can meet sometime for coffee and I can give you pointers on how to get the best performance out of it if you like.

-=>Raja.

Looked at the Ford website for information on the 2018 Fusion Energi.  I'm sorry if you mind me picking your brain about the differences?  Looks like a lot of the crash prevention and active cruise control that are available are nice......

#7 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,954 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 29 November 2017 - 07:37 AM

I made a post about it a while back:

http://fordcmaxenerg...itanium-energi/

This should cover most things though some might be missing from that report.  Anyway good place to read.

Mine does have the lane warning stuff (mirror lights when you're trying to change lanes and a car is close by behind you), auto parking, but no active cruise control in the Cmax version. 

-=>Raja.

Edited by rbort, 29 November 2017 - 07:38 AM.

#8 OFFLINE   Milkman

Milkman

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 53 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationKy between Dead Horse Holler and Yellowbank
  • My C-MAX:2014
  • Current Vehicle:C-max Energi, Prius, Lexus

Posted 29 November 2017 - 08:35 AM

Hey, don't give up just because of the '13 problems. Ford has made several improvements and the '13 seems to be the only problematic year. I would suspect you'll get much better deal trading a C-Max for a newer or new C-max I know that trying to trade a Ford at a Honda or other brand dealership will subject you to all kinds of humiliation as far as price goes and they will bad mouth your other brand car. I inquired about trade in for my '10 Prius for a Volt at a VW dealer and their first comment was how expensive it would be to replace the battery, and they graciously offered $2500 trade in on their Volt that has the same possibility of needing a battery replaced. 

Edited by Milkman, 29 November 2017 - 08:36 AM.

#9 OFFLINE   marlowefamily

marlowefamily

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 50 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationSan Diego
  • Current Vehicle:2017 Energi Titanium w/ Moonroof

Posted 29 November 2017 - 01:22 PM

Some cars are nightmares, others are plain, and some you just love.   We each have our own impressions of a car and nothing anyone else says is going to change that.

When I was young, my first car was hand-me-down and then hand-me-down 1970's Mercedes sedan.  The car had character....but I'm sad to say that I didn't really appreciate how good it was.  I quickly switched to a Pontiac Grandam, and while it was fun to drive, it wasn't very practical and it was a maintenance nightmare.

The last 14 years, my wife and I have shared both a Honda Pilot and an Acura TL.  The Pilot relatively decent and extremely reliable, but no electronics, any advanced safety features (not even a single camera), and only ~14MPG.  The Acura get 24-26MPG and my wife loves it.  The seating has always been a little too small for me.  Both cars are 100K+ miles and are still running fine.   We'll probably sell them sometime in the next 5 years as they require more and more maintenance.

We purchased our 2017 Ford C-Max Energi mostly to teach our kids how to drive and to have a 3rd fuel efficient, decent cargo family car.  We expect to keep it in the family for the next 10-15 years, even if our kids borrow it while at college.

#10 OFFLINE   GTIguy

GTIguy

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 71 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationDenver
  • Current Vehicle:2017 C-MAX Energi Titanium, 2014 C-Max Hybrid (daughter's car)

Posted 30 November 2017 - 10:44 PM

You could scan this entire forum back to the beginning -- I did just that, before buying an unfamiliar car -- looking for problems. If you come from the VW-Audi world, like me, the first thing you notice is the absence of endemic problems with the C-Max. It still blows my mind that there's no subforum for engine problems here! But the second thing you notice is that 80% of problems reported come from the 2013 model year. That's when the multiple recalls led to it being dubbed "most unreliable" by Consumer Reports. Now, CR's videos recommend the C-Max and the New Car issue I just looked at tonight shows reliable green circles on all systems except infotainment. Reliability-wise, it's a different car now.

At 5000 miles, my NRG Ti seems perfect, without flaw. Any late-model C-Max you find will likely be a much more trustworth steed than your 2013.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·