Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Dual voltage charger

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   RubyMax

RubyMax

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 679 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationNortheast Ohio
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi, 302A, Pano; Focus Electric

Posted 02 January 2018 - 11:04 AM

Yeah in fact, I'd find it patently stupid of Ford to design a totally different PCB for USA vs. abroad since they would have to get FCC/CE/ETSI certification for each model (in case one gets traded abroad with its stock charger, and the user ends up trying to use an uncertified charger)...

Is a "Convenience Cord" included for European vehicles?

Don't they already plug into 230V systems with cords like this?

https://www.evcharge...rging-cable-32a

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   Levi Smith

Levi Smith

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • PipPip
  • 857 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationUpstate NY
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 303A W Panoramic Roof

Posted 02 January 2018 - 11:11 AM

I would "ASSume" that they include a "Convenience Cord", but it's certainly possible they leave it out.

I haven't looked too close, but the link you provided seems to be to plug your car into a different plug-type EVSE.

I don't see any indication those cords are EVSE's themselves.  They look to just be adapters for the different EVSE connector types in Europe.

Yes, if you look at the Ford section:

https://www.evchargeking.com/en/ford

You can see they offer a home charging station and then the "Mobile Charger" which would be the same thing as the "Convenience Cord"(which are all just EVSE's).  Then they also sell the  "Charging Cables" you linked to which as near as I can tell would allow you to do things like go to France and plug into a public EVSE there with a different connector.

#23 ONLINE   MaxLB

MaxLB

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 113 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationSoCal
  • My C-MAX:2016
  • Current Vehicle:2016 C-Max NRG

Posted 27 January 2018 - 11:49 AM

I think it's pretty funny that when someone uses the term "charger" to refer to the portable EVSE cord, people give them all kinds of sh!t about how the charger's really inside the car, the cord is just a safety device, etc., etc.

But then when somebody tries to show that the portable EVSE is just a cord with a safety switching device built into it, and that it's fine handling the same amps at a different voltage, the same people have to whine and moan about how dangerous and stupid it is.

I appreciate spirilis going through the effort and taking the risk to prove the doubters wrong.  I'm going to make an adapter for my portable cord so that I can charge at 240V at my secondary office where we don't have L2 chargers available.  Otherwise the cord just sits under the seat and doesn't get used.

• sporkinum likes this

#24 ONLINE   spirilis

spirilis

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 133 posts
  • LocationMaryland
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:2017 C-Max Energi SE Kona Blue

Posted 01 February 2018 - 04:05 AM

Keep in mind only 2017 convenience cords have been tried, someone on the Focus Electric forum did smoke his 2014 EVSE although he had done some stuff to its innards already...

On the topic though, I think this would be an interesting addition-

https://hydrobuilder...=strands_710015

A 240V timer using NEMA 6-15 connections rated for 15A, suitable for my setup at least with its 6-15 to 5-15R adapter. I am trying options for timing the charge to get the battery warm in cold weather before the morning drive (Value Charge didn't work the way I expected here).

#25 ONLINE   spirilis

spirilis

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 133 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 01 February 2018 - 04:12 AM

Similar product, slightly cheaper and available with amazon prime shipping-
https://www.amazon.c...w/d/B004XMVMM6/

#26 ONLINE   MaxLB

MaxLB

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 113 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationSoCal
  • My C-MAX:2016
  • Current Vehicle:2016 C-Max NRG

Posted 01 February 2018 - 05:14 AM

Similar product, slightly cheaper and available with amazon prime shipping-
https://www.amazon.c...w/d/B004XMVMM6/

The mechanical version is even less.

https://www.amazon.c...nk20980-20&th=1

#27 OFFLINE   Levi Smith

Levi Smith

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • PipPip
  • 857 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 303A W Panoramic Roof

Posted 05 February 2018 - 06:38 AM

Keep in mind only 2017 convenience cords have been tried, someone on the Focus Electric forum did smoke his 2014 EVSE although he had done some stuff to its innards already...

On the topic though, I think this would be an interesting addition-

https://hydrobuilder...=strands_710015

A 240V timer using NEMA 6-15 connections rated for 15A, suitable for my setup at least with its 6-15 to 5-15R adapter. I am trying options for timing the charge to get the battery warm in cold weather before the morning drive (Value Charge didn't work the way I expected here).

I've generally had good luck with the value charge, though it's always been a bit finicky and worse since the modem upgrade.

#28 OFFLINE   radiobrown

radiobrown

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationVA Beach Virginia
  • My C-MAX:None
  • Current Vehicle:2016 outback 98 BMW M5

Posted 11 February 2018 - 12:53 PM

and here i am using a 50ft cord to reach so i can plug in at night at my apt complex out my window... guess i could do this and unplug my dryer and then charge a little faster

• spirilis likes this

#29 ONLINE   spirilis

spirilis

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 133 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 11 February 2018 - 03:28 PM

and here i am using a 50ft cord to reach so i can plug in at night at my apt complex out my window... guess i could do this and unplug my dryer and then charge a little faster

Yep just for safety sake, please use 12ga or even 10ga cable for that run if you can get ahold of it!

#30 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,129 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 11 February 2018 - 03:43 PM

Hey spirilis:

Out of curiosity how is the stock 120v charger working on the 240v?  Have you been using it like that daily since December?

-=>Raja.

#31 ONLINE   spirilis

spirilis

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 133 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 11 February 2018 - 05:40 PM

Hey spirilis:

Out of curiosity how is the stock 120v charger working on the 240v?  Have you been using it like that daily since December?

-=>Raja.

It's been continuously plugged into 240V since December.  Even using it with an Intermatic 6-15 timer now!

#32 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,129 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 11 February 2018 - 06:47 PM

How long does it take to charge up the car, like 3 hours?  In looking at your picture, I guess the two prongs are hot and then the third is the ground.  Does it matter which is which in the hot wires?  I'm guessing not..

Edit:  I just looked in the basement I have left over Romax 10-3 cable I ran for the electric oven some years back.  Its got red, white, black, and a copper ground in it.  With 240v if I remember correctly there are two hots (120v each) and one neutral and the copper is ground.  How did you connect the 3 prong cable you made for the 120v charger?  If I make one I just want to make sure I do it right no mistakes.

-=>Raja.

Edited by rbort, 11 February 2018 - 06:57 PM.

#33 ONLINE   spirilis

spirilis

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 133 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 11 February 2018 - 07:05 PM

How long does it take to charge up the car, like 3 hours? In looking at your picture, I guess the two prongs are hot and then the third is the ground. Does it matter which is which in the hot wires? I'm guessing not..

Edit: I just looked in the basement I have left over Romax 10-3 cable I ran for the electric oven some years back. Its got red, white, black, and a copper ground in it. With 240v if I remember correctly there are two hots (120v each) and one neutral and the copper is ground. How did you connect the 3 prong cable you made for the 120v charger? If I make one I just want to make sure I do it right no mistakes.

-=>Raja.

About 2-2.5hr, based on FORScan Lite the JuiceBox 40A charges about 19% faster than this. I have found the C-Max only pulls 14A from a full L2 vs 12A from this setup. Not too shabby really.

IIRC it doesn't matter, and the reason is that both hots have a path to ground via the neutral-ground link back at the breaker panel (which the hots can get to via the transformer center-tap at your transformer outside, or Wye-neutral for 3 phase commercial building power). The reason that matters is for GFCI. I think the only folks who would see this scenario fault are those using a cheap-o generator without ground-neutral connection built in. The main thing I guess is the EVSE has to check first if the ground is wired correctly, and my guess is that it checks the Hot->Ground voltage potential (i.e. from the 5-15's "hot" blade, the smaller of the two, to GND, which in this case would reveal 120V). If it's 0V, then it would throw a ground wiring error indicator I guess.

The adapter's cable itself is service cord from Lowes, 12-gauge SOOW 3-conductor, i.e. a black, white and green (ground). Green goes between the 5-15 ground and 6-15 ground, black & white connect to the hots of the 6-15 without any regard for order.

Your romex 10-3 cable (actually 4-conductor since the ground isn't counted for that particular nomenclature) has one more conductor than you'd need here, you only need the two hots to go to the 5-15's hot & neutral and the ground to go to the ground.

Edited by spirilis, 11 February 2018 - 07:23 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·