Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Dual voltage charger

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   WheNRG

WheNRG

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 58 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationDallas
  • My C-MAX:2014
  • Current Vehicle:2014 Energi w/302A

Posted 28 November 2017 - 10:29 AM

I recently bought a Fiat 500e for my daughter to drive (it's nice not to hear "dad, can you give me some money for gas").  Apparently their charger, though it's not labeled as such, is capable of dual voltage.  On their forum many people have stated that they made adapters to plug their OEM charger into a 240V outlet and it works great and charges in half the time. Does anyone know if the Ford charger is also capable of this, or is it strictly 110V?  Hell, you can plug any computer into either, so why not your car?  

By the way, the 500e is a fun car to drive!  Tiny and a bit flimsy, but it's quick and handles really nice. I picked up a 2015 with 27k miles for under $8k. 

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,805 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 28 November 2017 - 02:49 PM

NO you cannot plug in the ford stock charger into 240v, don't do it you'll fry it.

-=>Raja.

• RubyMax likes this

#3 OFFLINE   Levi Smith

Levi Smith

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • PipPip
  • 728 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationUpstate NY
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 303A W Panoramic Roof

Posted 29 November 2017 - 06:53 AM

Yeah, the car is fully capable of charging at either voltage and the charger is built into the car. 

The EVSE however that you actually plug into the car is just a smart extension cord and there are some that are dual voltage and of varying amperage.  The stock Ford one however is only 120V/12A.  And from what I looked up is not one that can be easily modded to 240V like some others.

• cr08 likes this

#4 ONLINE   RubyMax

RubyMax

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 658 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationNortheast Ohio
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi, 302A, Pano; Focus Electric

Posted 29 November 2017 - 08:39 AM

Here's an inexpensive Dual Voltage EVSE.  I'm thinking of picking up as a spare.

https://www.bsaelect...th-evse-d25-16a

#5 OFFLINE   marlowefamily

marlowefamily

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationSan Diego
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:2017 Energi Titanium w/ Moonroof

Posted 29 November 2017 - 12:59 PM

As others said, the charger is actually built into the car.  What you plug into the wall socket is just the EVSE which is just an extension coord designed to add additional safety.   There are 240V EVSE's, referred to as 'dual chargers', which have adapters to allow them to plugin to 120V outlets, and in that mode - they work just as the normal ford 120V EVSE.  However, there are some complaints that these adapters aren't as safe as they should be.  Even the stock 120V ford charger when plugged into a bad 120V outlet or a poor 120V extension coord can have safety issues.  So, I think the general recommendation is stick with the factory EVSE if charging at 120V and try to avoid any adapters or coords (be extra careful if you use them).  If you want to go 240V, have someone who knows what they are doing and who uses good parts setup a dedicated 240V branch and then use only 240V EVSE's that are UL certified and have a good safety record.

Fyi -- there was a house that burned down a few blocks from me last month, apparently the owners had a new fiskar EV sedan that was charging at the time, and the rumor is that the battery exploded and caused an uncontrollable fire in the garage....no one died, but there were was concern about the fire spreading to other homes for a bit. 

Plugin cars are great, but there is definitely a good amount of safety and electrical improvements (along with education) that we, as a society, need to get through before they are widely deployed.

Edited by marlowefamily, 29 November 2017 - 01:06 PM.

#6 ONLINE   RubyMax

RubyMax

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 658 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationNortheast Ohio
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi, 302A, Pano; Focus Electric

Posted 29 November 2017 - 02:08 PM

More often than not, the reported fire safety concerns of EV charging has more to do with substandard infrastructure wiring than faulty EVSEs, or car batteries.

The reality, is that your house wiring may be poorly equipped to handle many electric loads you are currently feeding, especially if they were wired by personnel that were not adhering to NFPA codes.  Any outlet or even hard wired connection can corrode, arc, fray, and cause an overload, and heat, fire, etc.
Be smart.

• cr08 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·