Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Radio will not turn off/on/no audio investigation

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   cr08

cr08

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 218 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ice Storm C-Max Energi

Posted 27 November 2017 - 01:09 PM

This is something I am hoping I can get some additional people to test for me. Someone posted a very good comment in one of the other threads on this topic around a lot of people seeming to have the issue at about the same general timeframe. What that got me thinking about was something possibly Sirius related with either new channel info or other data that is 'broadcast' to all receivers in one go. Could possibly be tied to a free preview weekend when everyone's receivers are re-enabled. As my own personal test I had been intending to downgrade my own subscription (from the All Access + Traffic + Nav + Weather down to Mostly Music + Traffic + Nav + Weather). Did so and after leaving work I did the refresh requested and once I saw 'Subscription Updated' in the lower left quadrant it went to the telltale no audio, won't toggle off or on, and won't change sources. Stayed that way for the whole 15-20 minute drive. Granted after coming home and parking it for 5-10 minutes it seemed to come back without me pulling fuses.

If anyone is willing to test this for me, and be prepared to do a fuse 79 pull, is this:

If you have a subscription either a) If you are planning to change/update your subscription, go ahead and do so and refresh. or b) Do a refresh anyways if not planning to change subscriptions.

Additionally if you have access and the knowledge to utilize Forscan, the model and calibration info for the ACM would be beneficial.

I'm going to see if I can pull any documented info on updates Sirius has sent out over time to correlate. I'm very interested in seeing if there's something to this being a possible cause.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   JnTX

JnTX

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 47 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationTexas
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX Energi

Posted 05 January 2018 - 09:39 PM

Interesting.  My radio locked up on Jan 3rd or 4th.  I got an email from SiriusXM on the 4th saying that they were giving me one week of listening.  Pulling fuse 79 cleared the problem.

I had an earlier lockup and I remember another freebie from SXM but can't remember if they were at the same time.

#3 OFFLINE   komondor

komondor

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 481 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • Locationdenver
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX Energi

Posted 06 January 2018 - 06:58 AM

I just had my radio lockup from using the AUX port.  I had to pull the battery cable to get it back working.  I could not change anything at all.

After pulling the fuse the car died and I am still not able to get it to start or the instrument cluster to come up.  But the radio works fine now :)

The HVB does charge though, even though my 12V battery seems to be bad  as the dome lights do not come on.

#4 ONLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,217 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 06 January 2018 - 07:11 AM

Komondor,

Did you check the 12v battery voltage as I suggested?  What did you find?

-=>Raja.

#5 OFFLINE   komondor

komondor

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 481 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • Locationdenver
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX Energi

Posted 06 January 2018 - 08:14 AM

yes it read 11.7V I used a 300Amp battery jumper and was able to get the doors to unlock but still no start picked up a plug in charger/starter and am going to try it today.  I spent some time checking fuses, ( why do they put the fuse box so high up?)  no blown fuses found.

I am also dealing with a partially flooded basement and cold so only working on car when it is semi warm out.

#6 ONLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,217 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 06 January 2018 - 09:07 AM

Do you have another car battery handy?  (no likely) but if you did, you could plug it into the rear 12v socket if you make a cable for it just be 100% sure you got the polarity correct, tip should be + and that should fix the issue of the dead battery.  Maybe disconnect the stock battery, plug in the new one in the truck, and try to start the car see if that works.  For ease I would just plug in the 12v first without disconnecting the old battery, but if it doesn't work then disconnect the bad one maybe sucking down the voltage.

Anyway at 11.7v sounds like your original 12v is trash and you need a new one.  So barring anything else, replacing the battery would be the first place to start without having to go to the dealer.  Fix the obvious problems first, and see if anything else is left problem wise.    Also disconnecting the old 12v and connecting another will reboot the car and things should work properly after that.

If labor is too hard to swap batteries, like I said above disconnect the old 12v and connect a new one or another good one through the 12v socket in the trunk.  If everything works take the new battery to the dealer and have them install it for you.  You can drive with the battery plugged it to rear socket.

-=>Raja.

Edited by rbort, 06 January 2018 - 09:12 AM.

#7 OFFLINE   cr08

cr08

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 218 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ice Storm C-Max Energi

Posted 08 January 2018 - 05:50 AM

I should also add in addition to my original post above that despite the fact it seeming to work ok after sitting for a bit, I found later it was still glitchy. Essentially on the AM/FM/Sirius sources I could switch presets and the audio seemed to change but the preset indication wouldn't update and any metadata wouldn't display properly. Other sources, alerts/voice and volume/audio changes were fine thankfully. So it was still a bit buggy for a few days until I got around to doing the fuse pull but thankfully I don't use the tuners too much.

So yeah. I'm still almost certain a large part of audio system related issues could be related to Sirius subscription updates. I wish there was a way this could be reported to Ford's engineering team though without working through a dealer and paying for diagnoses and other BS. Just a simple FYI 'Hey, this may be a thing. Could you look into it?'

Edited by cr08, 08 January 2018 - 06:01 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·