Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Yellow wrench mystery, car won’t start

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Maripat

Maripat

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationPhiladelphia
  • My C-MAX:2014
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax energi

Posted 22 November 2017 - 04:13 PM

I have a 2014 energi. About 2 weeks ago a yellow wrench alert appeared along with a warning to stop driving. The car wouldn’t start. We had it towed to a ford dealer. They ran it through diagnostics, but couldn’t identify any issue. They told us they reset the car, which resulted in the car running fine and they returned it to us without any real answers for what went wrong— they guessed that it might have had something to do with the car sitting for a while, but it had only been sitting about a week. We drove it today for the first time since getting it back 5 days ago. It ran fine, but then after a few stops over the course of about a half hour, it did the same thing except this time it returned to normal after just a few minutes. We’re afraid to drive it, don’t want to get stuck again with our kids in a car that won’t start.

Anyone have an experience like this or ideas about how to fix it?

This is my first post here. I’m hoping this is the right place for this question!

Thanks very much for any ideas.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   Tom_NC_1

Tom_NC_1

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,077 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNC
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 302a

Posted 23 November 2017 - 05:36 AM

The dealer service depends on a diagnostic code to start troubleshoot problems. The yellow wrench should have raised a code. They should be able to tell you what was found. A reset would have cleared any codes but it will come back if the underlying problem is not corrected. You can go to an auto parts store to get where they may be able read any codes present. Can't even guess what is wrong without some code to go by.

Tom

#3 OFFLINE   Maripat

Maripat

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationPhiladelphia
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax energi

Posted 23 November 2017 - 06:31 AM

Thanks so much for your reply.

Dealer told us they got 4 different high voltage codes, but we don’t know which specific codes they were. They checked all high voltage connections, wires, found nothing. They told us the car doesn’t like to sit too long, I guess as a sort of explanation, but the car hasn’t sat any more than 1-2 weeks.

#4 OFFLINE   Tom_NC_1

Tom_NC_1

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,077 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNC
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 302a

Posted 23 November 2017 - 09:26 PM

It would be helpful if you could find out what the code were. I am not buying their explanation. Sitting for a couple of weeks might have an adverse affect on the 12V battery but the HVB has been completely disconnected by the system during this time and should not have any reason to raise a code. (A weak or bad 12V battery could prevent the car from starting since it is needed to engage the HVB). 

Hope you get a chance to find out what the codes were.

Tom

#5 OFFLINE   mps1987

mps1987

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationUpstate NY
  • Current Vehicle:CMax Energi

Posted 11 March 2018 - 09:13 AM

Hey, I've had a similar experience. To wit, in mid January my car - after preconditioning - showed the yellow wrench icon only for that drive, but wouldn't do it again. This happened twice and went away for a while. I didn't bother taking it to the dealer because I didn't think anything of it, and the manual says to only take the car to the dealer if its a persistent problem. A month later, while driving the car, the wrench icon and the red triangle showed up, and I couldn't drive the car at all. I had to get it towed to the dealer. After several days of diagnostics - because all the dealer could find was a problem with the high voltage system (which is a big part of the vehicle) - the dealer determined that the high voltage cooling system needed to be replaced. The only code I found on the dealer's paperwork is POAA6. Thankfully, all but the deductible was covered under the warranty.

I hope this helps.

Edited by mps1987, 28 March 2018 - 05:13 PM.

#6 OFFLINE   Hopeidontgetthewrench

Hopeidontgetthewrench

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationMaryland
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi

Posted 02 May 2018 - 06:14 AM

I just had this exact same problem. Code P0AA6. Dealer could not find anything wrong with the elctrical system or replicate the issue. They gave it back to me after a week and I've had it for two days with no issues. @mps1987 , how did they know it was a cooling system issue? Did they replace the fan?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·