Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

2017-review

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   grege

grege

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationDC Metro Area
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2017 Cmax Energi Titanium

Posted 20 November 2017 - 06:26 AM

Purhcased new 2017 c max energi titanium

Now with ~5,000 miles, it's been OK mechanically and like the way it drives, BUT other Issues witnessed thus far:

1.  Headliner damaged upon delivery and replaced and then repaired once more; now, the headliner is displaying the same delamination that led to it being replaced at delivery.

2.  Door latches are iffy; rear passenger doors do not always latch properly. 

3.  Front doors - both sides, when closing are shutting so tightly that the doors are contacting the jambs such that the uppermost corners of the door jambs have already worn down to the primer coat from routine contact. 

4.  Defroster fan motor is kicking out a lot of plastic "shrapnel" - looks like pvc/plastic shavings. 

5.  Rattles:  surprisingly lots of rattles and squeaks with several interior parts being ill-fitted.

Want to love the car, but Ford has made that difficult with poor panel and trim gapping and overall poor build quality.  Seems like Fords' metrology department was on vacation for this build.  Bottom line, if I had the option to replace it with an identical one, I'd do it while expecting a better finished product.  C'mon Ford, is this really the best you could do? 

Greg 

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   ShoulderThingThatGoesUP

ShoulderThingThatGoesUP

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 126 posts
  • LocationEmmaus, PA
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi

Posted 21 November 2017 - 05:41 AM

That's bizarre, especially the defroster fan shrapnel part. I'd be having some strongly worded phone calls with your dealer. My 2012 build-date model doesn't have any issues like that; they should have the fitting-together of the car down pat by now.

#3 OFFLINE   Levi Smith

Levi Smith

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • PipPip
  • 798 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 303A W Panoramic Roof

Posted 21 November 2017 - 06:45 AM

I've not had quite as bad as your experience, but this is kinda my opinion of Ford as well.  Feels like quality control has a lot of "close enough" comments...

As near as I can tell mine was shipped with a different switch assembly which never included the control for the shade for the panoramic roof.  I always wonder if they just did it on accident and whether they noticed or not, or if it was more of the "well we don't have the correct part, but we could put this one in there and maybe no one will notice.) and indeed it seems the previous owner never even knew they had the sunshade...

Then the wandering GPS functionality and other random radio/Sync/climate control bits that "mostly work"...

#4 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,863 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 21 November 2017 - 07:39 AM

I've been lucky I suppose, as both of mine don't have these issues.

-=>Raja.

#5 OFFLINE   Sydney_NYC

Sydney_NYC

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationNorthern NJ/NYC Area
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX Energi Titanium

Posted 21 November 2017 - 08:34 AM

We've had our 2017 C-MAX Energi Titanium for about 6 weeks and haven't had any issues at all with it. Not a single rattle even driving on NYC pothole filled streets. Nearly 900 miles and still have a half a tank of gas from the dealer in it  :smile2:

#6 OFFLINE   GTIguy

GTIguy

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 65 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationDenver
  • Current Vehicle:2017 C-MAX Energi Titanium, 2014 C-Max Hybrid (daughter's car)

Posted 21 November 2017 - 10:13 AM

My 2017 was defect-free. The vertical alignment of the front doors may be a couple off millimeters off. When I first tried to pair my phone, the modem's serial number couldn't be read, so that required a short trip back to service. Nothing serious there, and no rattles either. 

I've owned a dozen VWs that were better designed and assembled in terms of tight fit. The Germans really sweat the details, so everything you touch and operate feels that little bit better. The Japanese generally have greater mastery of assembly-line perfection. But the differences have become small enough to matter little to me. The C-Max does the core mission of a car so very well-- efficient transportation with comfort and zest -- that I've resolved to stop sweating he small stuff so much. 

Sounds like the OP's car needs some attention.

Edited by GTIguy, 21 November 2017 - 10:13 AM.

#7 OFFLINE   grege

grege

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationDC Metro Area

Posted 11 January 2018 - 09:50 AM

My 2017 was defect-free. The vertical alignment of the front doors may be a couple off millimeters off. When I first tried to pair my phone, the modem's serial number couldn't be read, so that required a short trip back to service. Nothing serious there, and no rattles either. 

I've owned a dozen VWs that were better designed and assembled in terms of tight fit. The Germans really sweat the details, so everything you touch and operate feels that little bit better. The Japanese generally have greater mastery of assembly-line perfection. But the differences have become small enough to matter little to me. The C-Max does the core mission of a car so very well-- efficient transportation with comfort and zest -- that I've resolved to stop sweating he small stuff so much. 

Sounds like the OP's car needs some attention.

I tried to get it some attention, but it failed.  100%  I left it at the shop for repairs and literally zero things were repaired.  "Could not duplicate" showed up a lot.  Um, did you actually look?  Nope.  1.  There are actual divots on each side of the door panels along the top corner; I even opened my loaner cmax to show the salesman (who sold me my car) the same problem with most cmaxes.  2.  I showed him the "plastic worms" on the dashboard (shrapnel being kicked out by the defrost blower motor).  3.  I showed him the headliner movement/blister area where the original tear occurred.  It's part comical because of the extreme lack of effort to fix basic repairs.  Last time, the service writer said I needed to set up an appointment with the body shop to readjust the door latch problem after I had already left my car with her.  Um, no, that's your responsibility to obtain repairs.  WTF is going on with the horrible service?! 

Greg

#8 OFFLINE   marlowefamily

marlowefamily

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationSan Diego
  • Current Vehicle:2017 Energi Titanium w/ Moonroof

Posted 11 January 2018 - 04:44 PM

Luckily, my 4 month old 2017 C-Max Titanium has had very few issues:

* once every 6-8 weeks, there will be an issue where Navigation will not start - no matter what I do, unless I leave the car alone for an hour or so.  I assume there is an internal computer that has a software bug and needs to reboot.  Turning off and on the car doesn't reboot it, neither does anything else I try.  But, leaving the car alone I guess allows allows it to go into a low power mode that shuts it down.

* The rear door is just an itsy bit out of alignment so that it is slowly scratching a tiny area of paint when closing.

* There is some small plastic pieces in the 2nd row seats that came loose and I have no idea what they belong to.

* Occasionally, the car is noiser than I expect.....not most of the time, just on occasion I think its louder than my old gas SUV.  Haven't figured out the pattern yet.

* Electric battery is very finicky.    One week, I get 30+ miles EV driving.  The next, I only get 17 miles EV.  It also seems that even in Southern California, that weather has a huge impact on the car.   Driving in the heavy rain, 50 degree outside  in 'ev auto' - range can drop to 12-15 miles.

#9 OFFLINE   GTIguy

GTIguy

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 65 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationDenver
  • Current Vehicle:2017 C-MAX Energi Titanium, 2014 C-Max Hybrid (daughter's car)

Posted 11 January 2018 - 09:19 PM

Try another dealer, grege. In this day and age, dealers shouldn't deny warranty claims. They're paid by the manufacturer, right? 

Your other alternative is to wait until the flaws worsen and become obvious, so it's a choice between persistence and patience.

• grege likes this

#10 OFFLINE   grege

grege

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationDC Metro Area

Posted 12 January 2018 - 02:32 AM

Try another dealer, grege. In this day and age, dealers shouldn't deny warranty claims. They're paid by the manufacturer, right? 

Your other alternative is to wait until the flaws worsen and become obvious, so it's a choice between persistence and patience.

I'll be patient yet persistent.  I do love the way the car drives, just not impressed with some build quality issues.  These deficiency items I've seen I'd understand somewhat from a first model year of production, but not the 5th or 6th. 

Greg 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·