Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Now the Owner of 2 PHEVs: Got the 2018 Pacifica Hybrid Limited!

phev; pacifica hybrid;

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Jonathan Ezor

Jonathan Ezor

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 189 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationLong Island, NY
  • My C-MAX:2015
  • Current Vehicle:2015 C-MAX Energi

Posted 16 November 2017 - 08:29 AM

With 6 months left to go on my 2015 C-MAX Energi lease (my plan is to buy it out), I have been looking at another PHEV to fill our family's needs: the Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid. We gave up our last minivan a few years ago and we miss the 7 seats and cargo room, so when the PacHy was announced, it leapt to the top of my list. While the 2017s had some serious teething pains, including a major recall and sales stop, the 2018s appear to be largely free of those initial glitches, and since there is still a $7500 Federal tax credit (Congress is discussing ending it for 2018) and a $1100 NY State rebate, it seemed worth jumping on the PacHy bandwagon. I searched around, found the sole remaining Limited in stock near my home on Long Island, and picked it up last night. I don't yet have a good picture of it, let alone with it sitting next to my C-MAX, but my initial impressions are quite positive both in aesthetics and in PHEV behavior. The PacHy lacks a few features of the C-MAX (there's no way to select EV Later or EV only, for example, and the kick-to-open tailgate and sliding side doors won't also close themselves with a kick as my C-MAX' tailgate will do), but the PacHy is luxurious in its own way, quieter on the road and of course has much more cargo space (including retractable roof rails). Also, the PacHy in Limited Trim has the full complement of safety features including braking assist, lane keeping assist, front and rear parking sensors and semi-autonomous parking assist (my 2015 C-MAX is the SEL but I didn't get the highest option package so I don't have self-parking or front parking sensors on that.) Ultimately, the PacHy will become my wife's daily driver, since she can go round trip to her job on just the PacHy's 30-mile-electric-only capability, but I'm so thrilled to have another car to share my Level 2 EVSE and driveway, and to use for fuel-efficient long family trips.

Any questions about the PacHy? {Jonathan}

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,805 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 16 November 2017 - 09:04 AM

There is no EV later?  What does that mean, you use up the 30 miles electric every time you leave the house first and then go to hybrid once the battery is exhausted?

How big is the battery for 30 miles range?

-=>Raja.

Edited by rbort, 16 November 2017 - 09:04 AM.

#3 OFFLINE   ShoulderThingThatGoesUP

ShoulderThingThatGoesUP

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 94 posts
  • LocationEmmaus, PA
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi

Posted 16 November 2017 - 09:10 AM

How is the turning radius? As my three kids get bigger (right now they're 4 and 10 months x2) it's going to get tight in the back of the C-Max, but I just have a parking pad right off an alleyway (I got 240V trenched out there for the charger) which makes me nervous about getting anything bigger.

#4 OFFLINE   Jonathan Ezor

Jonathan Ezor

• 189 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 09:55 AM

How is the turning radius? As my three kids get bigger (right now they're 4 and 10 months x2) it's going to get tight in the back of the C-Max, but I just have a parking pad right off an alleyway (I got 240V trenched out there for the charger) which makes me nervous about getting anything bigger.

The Pacifica is of course bigger, but the turning radius *feels* smaller than that of the C-MAX. It's certainly not unreasonably wide like that of the C-MAX.

Edited by Jonathan Ezor, 16 November 2017 - 10:03 AM.

#5 OFFLINE   Jonathan Ezor

Jonathan Ezor

• 189 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 09:57 AM

There is no EV later?  What does that mean, you use up the 30 miles electric every time you leave the house first and then go to hybrid once the battery is exhausted?

How big is the battery for 30 miles range?

-=>Raja.

The PacHy reportedly has a 16 KwH battery, but remember that it's *much* heavier than the C-MAX. As for the modes, my sense is it's more like the Auto mode in the C-MAX, favoring the EV mode as long as possible but starting the ICE when needed for climate systems or extra merging power.

https://www.chrysler...ica/hybrid.html

{Jonathan}

Edited by Jonathan Ezor, 16 November 2017 - 09:58 AM.

#6 OFFLINE   Jonathan Ezor

Jonathan Ezor

• 189 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 10:03 AM

The Pacifica is of course bigger, but the turning radius *feels* smaller than that of the C-MAX. It's certainly not unreasonably wide like that of the C-MAX.

Further on this: according to one dealership's listing, the turning radius for my 2018 Pacifica Hybrid Limited is 6.1m (19.8 feet). A sales listing for a 2015 C-MAX Energi shows its turning radius to be 5.8m (19.2'). Given the relative size differences, this matches my impression that the Pacifica Hybrid turns *better* than does the C-MAX, if not actually more tightly.

Edited by Jonathan Ezor, 16 November 2017 - 10:03 AM.

• ShoulderThingThatGoesUP likes this

#7 OFFLINE   Perry Knopp

Perry Knopp

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • Pip
  • 153 posts
  • LocationWV
  • Current Vehicle:FOrd

Posted 16 November 2017 - 06:09 PM

I checked one out this summer. The owner said around town she would get near 40 miles. 

• Jonathan Ezor likes this

#8 OFFLINE   GTIguy

GTIguy

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 56 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationDenver
  • Current Vehicle:2017 C-MAX Energi Titanium, 2014 C-Max Hybrid (daughter's car)

Posted 17 November 2017 - 12:36 PM

Sounds nice for a big car. I've read only good words about the regular Pacifica. Was there any other PHEV option in vans?

#9 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,805 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 17 November 2017 - 01:33 PM

I showed it to my wife, didn't get her vote.  She just does not like minivans, gave me that uurgh sound.  He has her heart set on a mini cooper EV.

-=>Raja.

#10 OFFLINE   stolenmoment

stolenmoment

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 259 posts
  • LocationBoston
  • Current Vehicle:Maxwell Smart

Posted 19 November 2017 - 11:12 AM

*sigh* my wife has serious range anxiety, and she's resisting my plan to get a used Leaf (cheap!) for my commuter car and giving my CMax to my too-tall son; we just discovered at Disney World that his head hits the ceiling in the back seat of a Bolt, so that's out of the running.

The Pacifica sounds interesting, since we now need some hefty cargo space to lug around my younger son's disability gear.

#11 OFFLINE   Levi Smith

Levi Smith

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • PipPip
  • 728 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 303A W Panoramic Roof

Posted 21 November 2017 - 06:52 AM

Yeah, our big old AWD Toyota Sienna turns WAY shorter than the C-Max.  I'm not sure what the deal is, but Max is definitely the widest turning vehicle I've ever driven.  Hmm, well I'd have to check on some of the old dump trucks...

• RubyMax and Jonathan Ezor like this

#12 OFFLINE   Jonathan Ezor

Jonathan Ezor

• 189 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 10:47 AM

Sounds nice for a big car. I've read only good words about the regular Pacifica. Was there any other PHEV option in vans?

Not a one. A few SUVs, but no 7-seater, sliding-door minivans. The Pacifica Hybrid is first of its type.

#13 OFFLINE   Levi Smith

Levi Smith

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • PipPip
  • 728 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 21 November 2017 - 11:06 AM

Not a one. A few SUVs, but no 7-seater, sliding-door minivans. The Pacifica Hybrid is first of its type.

Yeah, there's no hybrid anything in any sort of vans up to the Pacifica is there?

To my knowledge as far as minivans go everything for about the last 5 years(and minimal variation before that) is pretty much of the FWD, V6, gets around low 20's MPG variety.  With the exception of the Sienna that has an AWD option...

#14 OFFLINE   Jonathan Ezor

Jonathan Ezor

• 189 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 11:27 AM

One (current) negative of the Pacifica Hybrid versus the C-MAX: the Chrysler UConnect app for remote start/stop/charge status/etc. for the PacHy is powered by SiriusXM Guardian, and while this is free for the first year, currently the plan is to charge something like $24.99/month after the first 12 months. Yes, SiriusXM Guardian offers more features than the remote status/control stuff, but there does not yet seem to be a zero-cost option for just the services equivalent to the Ford MyFordMobile app. (There's also less data available, with trip/charge logs not being provided as one example.) We'll see what happens in a year. {Jonathan}

#15 OFFLINE   Levi Smith

Levi Smith

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • PipPip
  • 728 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 21 November 2017 - 11:35 AM

One (current) negative of the Pacifica Hybrid versus the C-MAX: the Chrysler UConnect app for remote start/stop/charge status/etc. for the PacHy is powered by SiriusXM Guardian, and while this is free for the first year, currently the plan is to charge something like $24.99/month after the first 12 months. Yes, SiriusXM Guardian offers more features than the remote status/control stuff, but there does not yet seem to be a zero-cost option for just the services equivalent to the Ford MyFordMobile app. (There's also less data available, with trip/charge logs not being provided as one example.) We'll see what happens in a year. {Jonathan}

If I'm not mistaken this is true of pretty much every other company.  Seems like every other one has a trial period and then you have to pay for some or all of the services.  It is rather nice that Ford seems to have deemed us worthy of not paying for a longer period of time as we beta test and they break portions of their services...  Will be interesting to see how long that lasts...

#16 OFFLINE   Perry Knopp

Perry Knopp

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • Pip
  • 153 posts
  • LocationWV
  • Current Vehicle:FOrd

Posted 21 November 2017 - 01:50 PM

This is why the lady I spoke to above went with the Pacifica over the Model X.  She didn't want to mess with the gull wings and kids in a parking lot.

#17 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,805 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 21 November 2017 - 02:30 PM

The tesla gull wings are stupid, heard from a person whose parents own one.  Sometime those wings don't open, take are not ideal they take a while to open and close, they are too sensitive to what might be around, you park and they won't open so you have to move the car around in the spot.  Things like that.

She said Tesla lowered the threshold where they don't open and such, but its still a pain not easy to get in and out of with a family.

-=>Raja.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·