Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Psst- Wanna see a stanced C-Max?

wheel size stancestanced

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   GTIguy

GTIguy

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 56 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationDenver
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:2017 C-MAX Energi Titanium, 2014 C-Max Hybrid (daughter's car)

Posted 12 November 2017 - 04:29 PM

It's mine, and it's quite a sight! Kinda funny how it happened, and it won't last. But here's what happened when I went out shopping for winter set of tires and wheels for my new NRG Ti. After many happy hours online, I settled on a set from Discount Tire. Like most indy wheels, they were wider than stock: 7.5 instead of 7.0 inches. But the manager at DT assured me they would fit. The Parts Guy at my local Ford store't know the offset, even after checking his database.

When they came in, they looked fantastic! The arcing highlight lines animated the wheel shapes like atomic orbits, and they fit the car's styling lines much better than the OEM turbines. I had a better look at my brakes, too, and it wasn't long until I schemed to paint the calipers, in honor of my GTI's flaming red stoppers, a nice forest green. My plain-jane white car now looks both more aggressive and more graceful. A lot of that aggression comes from how the tires now spread out from the wheel wells, wider than the car.... hmmmmm...

Compared to the stock C-Max parked next to it, my car's wheels now sit almost two inches wider than stock. The outer edge of the rear tires now lien up with the fender, and if the wheel rises with road expects, it looks to take the fender liner with it. I don't think this winter wheel set will make it through the first snow!

Discount Tire's website and the local store both didn't match the original offset. The new wheels appear to have over an inch less, which shifts the whole wheel assembly outwards. The local shop probably sees plenty of cars widened and "stanced" like this, but mine hasn't the benefit of the extra-firm performance suspension that usually underlies this style of customization, to restrict suspension motion. 

I expect I'll be back at the shop very soon to swap these wheels for a better fit. I'd love to hear what alternative wheel sizes have or haven't worked with your C-Maxes. And aren't they pretty?

Attached Files

• jzchen, Perry Knopp, Milkman and 1 other like this

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   jzchen

jzchen

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 407 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationArcadia, CA
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-MAX Energi

Posted 19 November 2017 - 07:13 AM

Even though the lowering springs tend to have higher rates, is it not true that they don't tend to have the same load capacity?  Meaning you would still get higher risk of tire contact with the fender when comparing with originals?  Thanks for sharing!  Hopefully everything goes well.  I have not read of, nor experienced, any issues with Discount Tire's sizing recommendations so far.....

#3 OFFLINE   GTIguy

GTIguy

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationDenver
  • Current Vehicle:2017 C-MAX Energi Titanium, 2014 C-Max Hybrid (daughter's car)

Posted 19 November 2017 - 07:07 PM

No lowering necessary. Our cars come pre-lowered! This was all just an accident, a mistake, really. Discount Tire's website recommended everything from 38 to 45mm offsets. I finally found out (not that the stock 17" wheel offset is 45; this wheel is 38. Decreasing the offset moves the tire outward from the plane of the hub, and this was too far, if you actually wanted to drive the car. 

Discount Tire is huge here in the West. I've been dealing with them since I moved to Denver and bought my first snow tires, 40 years ago. Up until this, I raved about their customer service, but this local outlet manager was the exception. Repeatedly, he claimed,"Those wheels fit all day long." And they did, until I might hit a bump with the wheels turned, or put three heavy people in the back seat. The rear tire's sidewall was clearly in line with the outside of the fender, which is lined with about an inch of sound insulation. It was an accident waiting to happen.

Another DT outlet confirmed that this was a faulty fitment, asking for trouble. But this guy kept objecting that I should have spotted this right away, before driving on the tires. I returned them the next business day after having driven just 50 miles, half of that on trips between tire stores. It was the worst pushback I've had in in retail for decades, and it happened for several minutes in a room full of customers. Never once did he say "sorry" in any form. At one point, he laughed at me out loud.

Thanks to this bozo, DT lost about $1600 worth of sales (I was planning to buy all-seasons for my kid's C-Max too.) I don't know what I'll do about snows now. The way this winter is shaping up, little snow may happen. But when I buy wheels, I'll be watching my offsets and sticking within one size of standard.

#4 OFFLINE   komondor

komondor

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 410 posts
  • Locationdenver
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX Energi

Posted 20 November 2017 - 06:57 AM

Check out tirerack they can have them mounted and balanced with new TPMS for just a little over a grand.  I am not sure how long you have had your CMAX but I have about 50K miles on mine and have used the all seasons that came with my 2013 and now have a set of Goodyear.  no real issues with the snow other than ground clearance.  The car has had no issues with going thru snow.  I even damaged the bottom louvers powering thru deep snow a few years ago.

https://www.tirerack.com/

I am in Denver and drive 26 miles each way to work East to West.

#5 OFFLINE   GTIguy

GTIguy

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 22 November 2017 - 03:51 PM

Snow tires look like a risky investment this year, like lift tix. Will it ever snow? When it does, I'll still live in a hill, up a sloping driveway. The Max isn't my primary winter car, but winter has a way of sneaking up on you here, no? I'm picking up some used Focus 17x7.5  wheels soon for nice price, with tires, probably Nokias, to follow. Once you shell out for that second set of shoes, both last twice as long, so it all works out. It's easy enough to spin the wheels on a Max on dry pavement, so I need all the traction I can get.

#6 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,805 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 22 November 2017 - 04:45 PM

If you have an option, I would recommend leaving the Cmax home when the roads are not plowed. It’s not the best car I wouldn’t drive it down a steep snowy slope, be careful it’s a heavy car hard to stop and hard to get uphill in snow.

-=>Raja.

#7 OFFLINE   bobs

bobs

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 58 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationNew York
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Cmax Energi

Posted 23 November 2017 - 06:45 AM

I use my cmax to get to the ski slope with little problem. I think I am running Nokia R2's. I did try the stock tires and did find them OK in the snow, but did not like them at all on ice and slush. (If I did not live in the salt state and they used dirt instead, the stock tires would probably be OK.) I am also retired so if it is really bad I don't go out, so one reason for the snows was to get back home if the weather changed.

Bob

#8 OFFLINE   komondor

komondor

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 410 posts
  • Locationdenver
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX Energi

Posted 23 November 2017 - 05:07 PM

One trick I am sure you probably know sometimes it is easier to back up a hill.

#9 OFFLINE   Levi Smith

Levi Smith

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • PipPip
  • 728 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 303A W Panoramic Roof

Posted 24 November 2017 - 06:06 AM

If you're going to drive the C-Max in any sort of snow then snow tires are just about a must from my experience.  I was able to make it around flattish roads just barely on some pretty close to new all seasons.  But I could NOT make it up the moderate hill I live on.

WITH snow tires the car is quite usable, but decent hills with decent slip(like a couple times trying to head up my hill last winter) can result in the only way to actually make it meaning to fire up the ICE, hold the go pedal down and let the traction control do it's best while it just barely makes it.  Even then, it seemed a minute or two of solid traction control use overheated it as it lit up the warning lights as I got to the top.  They went back off in the next minute going down the other side of the hill.

#10 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,805 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 24 November 2017 - 07:36 AM

Which goes back to me saying its not the best car in snow, leave it home if you have another option.  Granted I never got snow tires for mine, meaning my experience with it is similar to Levi's above and I thought it was sort to treacherous when I was trying to go up or down a not so steep slope.

-=>Raja.

#11 OFFLINE   GTIguy

GTIguy

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 24 November 2017 - 07:46 PM

Parked next to the C-Max is a VW Tiguan, with 4 Motion. It's happy to carve fresh tracks in the driveway after a powder dump drifts up over the bumper. I'm just trying to make the Ford safe for those three-inch snows.

#12 OFFLINE   mco30mco

mco30mco

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Locationmetro detroit
  • My C-MAX:2016
  • Current Vehicle:2016 cmax energi, 2017 ford fusion

Posted 29 November 2017 - 04:34 PM

i just put new wheels and tires on my cmax and did alot of math on offsets to try to get eveything even with the fenders. yours looks.

i put 16x7 with 40mm offset with 215/60/16 pirelli p7 all season plus. fills the wheel wells perfect and drives alot better in all respects with the higher sidewallAttached File  IMG_1275.JPG   157.02KB   0 downloadsAttached File  IMG_1273.JPG   192.23KB   0 downloads

#13 OFFLINE   marlowefamily

marlowefamily

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationSan Diego
  • Current Vehicle:2017 Energi Titanium w/ Moonroof

Posted 30 November 2017 - 04:40 AM

Hmm.  I live in San Diego.  Never had to put snow tires on any car.....However, my kids have been asking me to plan a snow trip to either Lake Tahoe area in Northern California or one of the ski resorts in Colorado.   If Lake Tahoe, I will probably drive.   If going to Colorado, it could be either way.  But, if driving...I certainly wouldn't want to buy snow tires for just a week or two.   I do have an old, very old SUV w/ AWD that I could use, but it only has all weather tires, not used much, doesn't have any safety features of the 2017 cmax, and not nearly as fun to drive.  But, it must be better for snow conditions than the C-Max.

#14 OFFLINE   Levi Smith

Levi Smith

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • PipPip
  • 728 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 303A W Panoramic Roof

Posted 30 November 2017 - 05:59 AM

Hmm.  I live in San Diego.  Never had to put snow tires on any car.....However, my kids have been asking me to plan a snow trip to either Lake Tahoe area in Northern California or one of the ski resorts in Colorado.   If Lake Tahoe, I will probably drive.   If going to Colorado, it could be either way.  But, if driving...I certainly wouldn't want to buy snow tires for just a week or two.   I do have an old, very old SUV w/ AWD that I could use, but it only has all weather tires, not used much, doesn't have any safety features of the 2017 cmax, and not nearly as fun to drive.  But, it must be better for snow conditions than the C-Max.

Yeah, that's a bit of a tough call.  Also depending on how reliable your "very old" SUV is.  Either option is probably similarly bad at stopping in the snow.  The AWD will definitely be a help in getting moving from stops and up hills.  Likely a bit of help around curves as well, but that would depend more on circumstances with the C-Max's Stability control.

If you won't actually have to drive through much snow and there won't be much of any hills I'd probably take the CMax.  What do other people do?  I don't find the CMax Exceptionally worse than other FWD vehicles, but it's certainly not the best of the bunch.  It's got more weight and it's not all over the front wheels.

#15 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,805 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 30 November 2017 - 06:50 AM

Take the SUV, that's what I would do.  What if it snows and you're on the road, or the roads have some snow cover on them, you'd wish you had the SUV, trust me.

The Cmax is a very good car for efficiency, but its not as good in snow.  If I had a choice, I'd take the better car for the job.  If it was me I would take my Ford Ranger, with older tires, and I have a set of chains I'll throw in the back, if I need them I can move no problem in anything even deep snow.

Each vehicle excels at something.  While the Ranger gets 16mpg in 4x4 through snow, the Cmax Energi gets 75mpg on the roads in the summer.  I use my ranger to clear my field all winter long so I can fly.  Take the right tool for the job when you go skiing.

-=>Raja.

Attached Files

Edited by rbort, 30 November 2017 - 07:01 AM.

#16 OFFLINE   GTIguy

GTIguy

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 30 November 2017 - 10:27 PM

I will probably drive.   If going to Colorado, it could be either way.  But, if driving...I certainly wouldn't want to buy snow tires for just a week or two.   

Makes sense. For the price of a good set of snows, you could probably fly into Eagle County or Grand Junction Airports. Several local ground transportation options exist, such as daily Amtrak service from Grand Junction to Glenwood Springs, which has public and private shuttles up to Aspen. The train also can take you to Winter Park, and on weekends there's a daily train from Denver to Winter Park, as well. Do you really need a car? 

• marlowefamily likes this

#17 OFFLINE   marlowefamily

marlowefamily

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationSan Diego
  • Current Vehicle:2017 Energi Titanium w/ Moonroof

Posted 01 December 2017 - 11:13 AM

Makes sense. For the price of a good set of snows, you could probably fly into Eagle County or Grand Junction Airports. Several local ground transportation options exist, such as daily Amtrak service from Grand Junction to Glenwood Springs, which has public and private shuttles up to Aspen. The train also can take you to Winter Park, and on weekends there's a daily train from Denver to Winter Park, as well. Do you really need a car? 

Good info! 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·