Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

12V battery dead

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   CRH

CRH

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationVA
  • My C-MAX:2014
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX Energi

Posted 06 November 2017 - 12:35 PM

2014 NRG, manufactured in April, purchased in Sept 2014, now 48K miles.

Sitting in the dealer lot for too long, the battery needed jump start when I test drove 3 years ago, probably shortened the battery life. 38 month life is short compared to other cars, but seems normal for C Max. Can any other CMaxers confirm the correlation between battery life and the period from manufacture to purchase?

The car couldn't start yesterday morning and sent SMS to my phone. Charged HVB for 20 min and survived the day with a round trip. Today with full HVB charge, it still works. However, the 12V battery has only 8-9V with trunk open (a few lights on). The 12V battery voltage drops quickly after charged to 11V or so.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   CRH

CRH

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationVA

Posted 06 November 2017 - 12:44 PM

Checked other posts and the availability of batteries at other vendors (most of them are OOS), and decide to go for the Motorcraft at Quicklane. They will charge for $130 for the battery (3 year replacement +64 month prorate warranty) and $22 for installation, including free towing under warranty. Anybody knows the detail of that free towing offer? Need to decide whether should I DIY for installation.

#3 OFFLINE   CRH

CRH

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationVA

Posted 07 November 2017 - 07:58 AM

replaced the battery myself last night. Spent almost 2 hours without good lighting. Maybe can be done in 30 min next time if it's in the day. Dealer will charge $20 labor plus almost $10 supply charge. Maybe worth it if it's your first time.

#4 OFFLINE   dontfret

dontfret

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 439 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationUnited States
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX Energi

Posted 09 November 2017 - 10:48 AM

your timing and estimated cost are spot on for what I experienced (replaced dead 12V @ ~3.5 years for around $135 total).

#5 OFFLINE   raucous

raucous

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationPNW
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi

Posted 10 November 2017 - 07:38 PM

Mine (2013) is at 4 1/2 years since taking delivery. It didn't sit on the lot at all (I ordered it). The 12V battery has died 3 times due to whatever weird bug occasionally drains it (discussed at great length elsewhere on the forum), but still otherwise holds a charge.

My neighbor also has a 2013. His 12V battery was dead from sitting on the lot when he purchased it used a bit less than two years ago. He finally replaced the 12V battery at between 3 and 3 1/2 years of life after it repeatedly failed to hold a charge.

#6 OFFLINE   bobs

bobs

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 69 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationNew York
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Cmax Energi

Posted 11 November 2017 - 06:04 AM

I am also at about the 4 1/2 year mark with only one bad drain on the battery. It was only enough to get the shutting down to save power message. It would not start but there was enough power for the built in charge to work.

I believe the radio stayed on all night with no sound, the dash was warm to hot above it.

Bob

#7 OFFLINE   bsheaffer

bsheaffer

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationPortland OR Area
  • My C-MAX:2016
  • Current Vehicle:Ford C-Max Energi

Posted 11 November 2017 - 08:11 AM

I'm just passed the 4.75 year mark (bought in Jan 2013) . I didn’t have a problem with the 12v battery until January this year thanks to the radio 'crashing'. First time, the steering wheel controls stopped controlling, then volume control died, then no sound; that over 3 days before the 12v died. Second and third times, just no sound and dead the next day.

This past week, there were some strange behaviors starting Monday – back hatch opened fine but wouldn't close, car couldn't detect my key unless I held it next to the steering wheel, dash lights/screens going out then on like the car 'rebooted'. On Thursday, I required a jump at the grocery store. Once the car was running again, I got about 10 notifications on my phone that the 12v was low and I should plug the vehicle in. No time like after! HVB was ~90% since the grocery is just over a mile away (loved explaining to the guy why an electric car needs a jump start).

I'm going to have the dealership change it because I'm still hopeful (against hope :lol: ) for warranty work on the HVB, and I don't want them to disqualify me because I 'touched' the electrical system.  :smile2:

#8 OFFLINE   stolenmoment

stolenmoment

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 322 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationBoston
  • Current Vehicle:Maxwell Smart

Posted 19 November 2017 - 11:32 AM

We were on vacation the last week, and I left my CMax unpluged (paranoid wife).  No "low battery" alerts, but the app stopped being able to update on the third day, and I had to jump it when we got home; HVB still at 100%, of course...

This is a new-ish battery installed by a dealer last January, after it failed while I loaned the car to a friend(!).   They'll be getting a call tomorrow...

#9 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,182 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 19 November 2017 - 06:14 PM

#1, do not store the car with a 100 % charged battery. Try 5-20% next time.
#2, to avoid any12v battery issues, permanently jump the 12v Cmax battery to another 12v battery, deep cycle or from another car.
Or, put it on trickle charge though paranoid wife would prefer jumping it that way nothing is plugged in.

You can leave it sit for 3 weeks no problem this way :)

-=>Raja.

Edited by rbort, 19 November 2017 - 06:15 PM.

#10 OFFLINE   ct18

ct18

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationMichigan
  • Current Vehicle:C Max energi

Posted 27 November 2017 - 04:54 PM

2013 with 85k and the battery had to be replaced. Wife drove home from work on ICE no problem. I went to garage an hour later to unload some things and dead. Could not unlock doors or even get a light on. Rolled to end of drive and jumped it with my truck., drove around neighborhood for 20 minutes. When i shut down, dead again.

I jumped it again and we drove to dealer and left it, still wouldn't start after that drive. They said 12 volt dead and i had them replace since i wasn't going to jump it to get home to do a battery. It seems to be ok but we will see as time goes.

i am not a fan of this car for a few reasons. It is just to small for my liking. We now only get 14 miles to a full charge and the dealer is saying thats normal, funny they didn't mention that when we bought the thing. This is our first Energi and my mother has had 2 hybrids, her and wife love them.

#11 OFFLINE   raucous

raucous

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 06 May 2018 - 05:56 PM

I had another one of these 12V battery issues earlier this week on my 2013 (my fourth). In the the past they've usually been in cold conditions. This one was on a very pleasant spring day on a car that had been charged the previous evening. I had also, coincidentally, checked the voltage level on the 12V battery the previous day and it was about where it had been all winter. The dealer said the 12V battery was fine when they checked it in February and they have no idea what might be causing these failures.

Has anyone made any progress in tracking down what's causing these start failures? I did note that Sync was behaving oddly the previous week, with the touch screen frequently being unresponsive and with Sync not automatically playing from my phone. This is not particularly unusual behavior for Sync but it seemed worse than what I normally see. That bolster's my wife's theory that it's Microsoft's fault. I suppose that I could pull the fuse on Sync when it starts acting up, but that seems a little extreme. Other suggestions/insights appreciated.

#12 OFFLINE   jzchen

jzchen

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 544 posts
  • LocationArcadia, CA
  • My C-MAX:None
  • Current Vehicle:2018 Honda Clarity PHEV

Posted 06 May 2018 - 06:46 PM

My wife’s ‘13 died once while with us. There was a service bulletin about a wiring short that could drain it. When hers died it was the same day that altabrig’s died, and just so happens her car was in the Anaheim Convention Center, which is somewhat closer to where altabrig’s was. When battery is weak/dead Sync screen noted shutting down to conserve battery. Also I noticed the rear interior trunk lights were on when it wouldn’t start. So I replaced the battery, tried to update the car through Ford Module Programming, then ended up paying the dealer 1hr labor to finish the update/service bulletin. I switched the two trunk lights to SYLVANIA ZEVO LEDs. No issues until traded it in March this year. (There is a battery reset in the ECU that I used FORScan to reset)....

#13 OFFLINE   fotomoto

fotomoto

Energi Member

• 1,263 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationSouth Texas
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX

Posted 08 May 2018 - 05:46 AM

Long story short: we've had three 2013's (one hybrid, two energi's) and the only dead battery issue we've had was the very first week of my wife owning hers she left it in ACC mode with parking brake on and in D!!!!  Her previous car was a manual 5 spd so.....   The 12v in my DD energi began getting weak around Christmas and one symptom as a "key not recognized" error message when getting in the vehicle.  I have a scanguage II and one display is set to 12v SOC and every morning it's usually at 12.3-6v at start up and jumps to 14.5-15.v once the dc-dc converter comes online.  FWIW

#14 OFFLINE   raucous

raucous

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 08 May 2018 - 10:40 AM

My wife’s ‘13 died once while with us. There was a service bulletin about a wiring short that could drain it. When hers died it was the same day that altabrig’s died, and just so happens her car was in the Anaheim Convention Center, which is somewhat closer to where altabrig’s was. When battery is weak/dead Sync screen noted shutting down to conserve battery. Also I noticed the rear interior trunk lights were on when it wouldn’t start. So I replaced the battery, tried to update the car through Ford Module Programming, then ended up paying the dealer 1hr labor to finish the update/service bulletin. I switched the two trunk lights to SYLVANIA ZEVO LEDs. No issues until traded it in March this year. (There is a battery reset in the ECU that I used FORScan to reset)....

I saw that Sync shutting down message, but only after I'd jumped the car and restarted it. The car is parked overnight under my office and the rear seats are always folded down so I would have seen the trunk lights on if there had been an issue there. It's been months since I've used the lift gate anyway. Even so the LEDs sound like a good "just in case" idea.  I did bring that service bulletin to our dealer's attention a few years ago. I don't remember now if they did anything beyond examining the wiring, but they said that it wasn't the source of our problems. 

#15 OFFLINE   raucous

raucous

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 08 May 2018 - 10:42 AM

...  I have a scanguage II and one display is set to 12v SOC and every morning it's usually at 12.3-6v at start up and jumps to 14.5-15.v once the dc-dc converter comes online.  FWIW

I see values in the same range (including the day before the 12V turned up dead).

#16 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,182 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 08 May 2018 - 09:08 PM

The Cmax battery is not very big or large capacity.  It can be full until some issue develops, and then just like that overnight its dead in the morning.  A bad battery in a good car without issue will last longer than a good battery with an issue in the car (some drain) if you know what I mean.

-=>Raja.

#17 OFFLINE   jzchen

jzchen

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 544 posts
  • LocationArcadia, CA
  • My C-MAX:None
  • Current Vehicle:2018 Honda Clarity PHEV

Posted 09 May 2018 - 02:09 AM

I saw that Sync shutting down message, but only after I'd jumped the car and restarted it. The car is parked overnight under my office and the rear seats are always folded down so I would have seen the trunk lights on if there had been an issue there. It's been months since I've used the lift gate anyway. Even so the LEDs sound like a good "just in case" idea.  I did bring that service bulletin to our dealer's attention a few years ago. I don't remember now if they did anything beyond examining the wiring, but they said that it wasn't the source of our problems. 

So you saw the message after a successful start-up?  My wife had trouble starting hers at a conference in Anaheim like I mentioned.  She noticed the same Sync Shutting down message when she couldn't start it.  She called AAA, then while waiting somehow got it started.  Maybe two days later when we were going to church I was NOT able to start it, saw that Sync message, and the trunk lights on.  I remember those bulbs as listed in the manual are/were 6W each.  I switched them to Sylvania ZEVOs at 0.7 W each.  I suspected some sort of MFM wake up call that drained the batteries...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·