Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

What happens when the five years run out?

myfordmobile

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ShoulderThingThatGoesUP

ShoulderThingThatGoesUP

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 94 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationEmmaus, PA
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi

Posted 06 November 2017 - 05:22 AM

As I recall, C-Max Energi vehicles were sold with 5 years of free MyFordMobile access. I think it's starting to be five years out from the sale date for some people, so I'm curious if anybody has had the experience of the free period running out yet. (My warranty start date is in November 2013 so I expect MFM to run out a year from now.)

I do use Go Times pretty extensively so I would consider signing up for an extension. Does anybody know what the cost or terms are?

(I would have more complaints about the software if it weren't free, though...)

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   fotomoto

fotomoto

Energi Member

• 1,184 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationSouth Texas
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX

Posted 06 November 2017 - 08:04 AM

Good question. 

I ran into another issue with my previous volt when I signed up with GM's OnStar service.  3 yrs "free" but they begin to charge me after that even tho' I hadn't owned the car in two years.  <grrrr>

#3 OFFLINE   cr08

cr08

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 105 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ice Storm C-Max Energi

Posted 06 November 2017 - 08:06 AM

I doubt anyone knows. Ford hasn't posted anything official on the topic and no one has come out and mentioned any info they have. Mine's coming up soon as well on 7/16/13. But I definitely want to keep it as I make extensive use of Go Times and the remote access features.

#4 ONLINE   RubyMax

RubyMax

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 658 posts
  • LocationNortheast Ohio
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi, 302A, Pano; Focus Electric

Posted 06 November 2017 - 08:13 AM

My FFE has an in service date of December 2012,  I guess I will find out in a few weeks. :wink:

• cr08 likes this

#5 OFFLINE   cr08

cr08

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 105 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio

Posted 06 November 2017 - 09:03 AM

Despite the FAQ on the MFM site still saying 'no information at this time' on the topic, I sent in an e-mail anyways to see if they knew anything different.

• fotomoto likes this

#6 OFFLINE   ShoulderThingThatGoesUP

ShoulderThingThatGoesUP

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 94 posts
  • LocationEmmaus, PA

Posted 08 November 2017 - 03:59 AM

I'll be interested to hear, RubyMax. It's my hope that like with the new modems, Ford wants the data enough to not want to scare people off.

#7 OFFLINE   cr08

cr08

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 105 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio

Posted 08 November 2017 - 06:13 AM

Forgot to reply. Sadly my response from the MFM support e-mail was a boilerplate 'No additional info at this time'. :(

#8 OFFLINE   Hackster

Hackster

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 79 posts
  • Region:Canada Ontario
  • LocationGTA
  • My C-MAX:2016
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX Energi 2016

Posted 08 November 2017 - 11:37 AM

It might be an optimist in me speaking, but I hope that the "5-year of services"  commitment is period in which Ford is on the hook to make sure your service works (e.g., by upgrading 2G models to 3G for free). Beyond the 5 years, I would expect the service to continue (no one would be going through the user/vehicle list and purging older ones), but any hardware upgrades would be at the customer's expense. One thing that gives me hoe that this is the case is the fact that Ford can't even get the local time fixed for weeks now, how do you expect them to manage vehicle/account/date-of-purchase database?  :wink:  

#9 OFFLINE   raucous

raucous

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationPNW

Posted 10 November 2017 - 07:52 PM

Mine doesn't seem to work for more than a few weeks at a time before the car stops communicating. I assume this is the problem with the modem needing to be power cycled that's been reported elsewhere as it started working again (for a few weeks) after my last 12V battery failure. Anyway, it's unreliable enough that I'm going to have a hard time justifying paying much for it if it comes to that.

#10 OFFLINE   ShoulderThingThatGoesUP

ShoulderThingThatGoesUP

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 94 posts
  • LocationEmmaus, PA

Posted 13 November 2017 - 06:34 AM

Mine is much more reliable than yours, but it still drops trips decently often. I'd certainly want improved reliability if a non-negligible cost were associated with it.

#11 OFFLINE   cr08

cr08

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 105 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio

Posted 13 November 2017 - 08:06 AM

Mine's been pretty reliable in my current 8 months of ownership. I have dropped trips but it is very rare. The only reliable cases I've seen of it are very short stops. ie: Decent sized trip, stop and turn off car for <5 minutes, take another decent trip. One or the other of the two trips will usually disappear.

One thing you may want to be wary of is cell service in the area. Our cars use AT&T's service (and I am not entirely sure what bands it supports. May need to do some digging there) so even in a marginal signal area it may be troublesome. I'm also not sure if it uses SMS to communicate or actual data.

Personally I don't mind it all that much. My biggest use of MFM is the remote start functionality. I have an original Moto 360 and thankfully Ford built an Android Wear component to the app. SOOO nice pulling up the app on my watch and simply tapping remote start and voila. Nice while walking out of work without digging out my phone.

#12 OFFLINE   raucous

raucous

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 13 November 2017 - 01:01 PM

I have trip records from April 2nd to 5th and then again from October 4th to 7th. That second is for three days after it was reset by a 12V battery failure. The website and app both show the car sitting out in the far reaches of NW Washington, in an area that has no cell service. I get that it wouldn't work there, but for some reason it just doesn't resume communication again. The dealership I use is usually pretty on top of software updates. I'm hoping that they'll have something for this next time I take it in.

I wanted MFM partly for warnings about low battery voltages (haven't received any even when the battery was dying) and partly to help me when I forget where I parked the car (mumble).

I would have hoped that the car would buffer up information across dropouts in cell service (very regular here). Maybe there's some of that as it looks like I have complete records from those three day periods even though the cell service is pretty iffy in some of the locations reported. It's too sporadic for me overall though to get a good handle on that.

#13 OFFLINE   jdbob

jdbob

Techo Geek

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 587 posts
  • LocationJohn Day, Oregon

Posted 13 November 2017 - 08:34 PM

The current cell modem (TCU) in the car seems to just give up when it can't get a cell connection. I had that happen this summer, the first time on Mt. Rainier, the second time in the middle of nowhere in Eastern Oregon. Both times require pulling F67 to interrupt the power to the TCU. I suppose this could be considered an improvement over the 1st set of TCU"s from 2013 which would get stuck on and drain the 12V battery. How many years/decades before Ford comes upon the concept of testing equipment in places with no cell service?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: myfordmobile

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·