Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

What Level 2 unit should I buy

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   philipl411

philipl411

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Locationnashville
  • My C-MAX:2016
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max

Posted 14 October 2017 - 02:36 PM

I have been working on trying to figure out which level 2 unit to buy?  In my garage I have a 40 amp breaker and I attached a pic of the plug.  I want to get the fastest charging time I can get using this set up?  What is the largest Amp unit I can purchase and it work with the C-Max.

Attached Files

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   fotomoto

fotomoto

Energi Member

• 1,221 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationSouth Texas
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX

Posted 14 October 2017 - 03:14 PM

I recommend clippercreek (CC): made in the USA, longer 3 yr warranty, UL listed (good for insurance purposes) and great customer service (reportedly, I've never needed).

That appears to be the common nema 6-20 receptacle, the same one that I use for my 20 amp CC EVSE.   I got the unwired unit, wired a 6-20 plug from Lowes to it and was in business.

https://store.clippe...harging-station

If you have 40 amps available, you may want to consider getting a larger 32 amp unit if you're hooked on EV's, want to future proof for higher rate batteries, and only buy once.  It won't harm the CMAX as the car will only draw 16 amps from it.  If not, get at least a 20amp model to max out the Energi's charge rate. (pun intended).  You only want to use 80% of a circuit so a 20 amp circuit can safely handle a 16amp load so your 40amp is no problem.

Edited by fotomoto, 14 October 2017 - 03:19 PM.

#3 OFFLINE   philipl411

philipl411

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Locationnashville
  • My C-MAX:2016
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max

Posted 14 October 2017 - 05:14 PM

I recommend clippercreek (CC): made in the USA, longer 3 yr warranty, UL listed (good for insurance purposes) and great customer service (reportedly, I've never needed).

That appears to be the common nema 6-20 receptacle, the same one that I use for my 20 amp CC EVSE.   I got the unwired unit, wired a 6-20 plug from Lowes to it and was in business.

https://store.clippe...harging-station

If you have 40 amps available, you may want to consider getting a larger 32 amp unit if you're hooked on EV's, want to future proof for higher rate batteries, and only buy once.  It won't harm the CMAX as the car will only draw 16 amps from it.  If not, get at least a 20amp model to max out the Energi's charge rate. (pun intended).  You only want to use 80% of a circuit so a 20 amp circuit can safely handle a 16amp load so your 40amp is no problem.

So I went and did a search and here is a unit that I found was the EVSE-RS by AeroVironment and its a 32 amp, but no moatter what I buy 16 amp or 32 amp, its going to charge at the same rate?

#4 OFFLINE   marlowefamily

marlowefamily

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 51 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationSan Diego
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:2017 Energi Titanium w/ Moonroof

Posted 14 October 2017 - 06:07 PM

I've been doing my own research on Level 2 chargers for the C-Max, and I think it comes down to:

a) clippercreek if you want a reliable system, but otherwise have all the charging logic and reports handled by the cars and myfordmobile website.

b) juicebox if you want an extremely intelligent system that can handle multiple vehicles and not depend on the cars internal software at all.  Slight concerns about their safety certifications, but apparently this is being taken care of.

c) Juicebox's aerovironment 32amp system if you want the juicebox in a more vendor supported form and with better testing/certification against fires/etc.

#5 OFFLINE   fotomoto

fotomoto

Energi Member

• 1,221 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationSouth Texas
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX

Posted 14 October 2017 - 07:18 PM

So I went and did a search and here is a unit that I found was the EVSE-RS by AeroVironment and its a 32 amp, but no moatter what I buy 16 amp or 32 amp, its going to charge at the same rate?

Yes, the Energi will only accept a 16 amp/3.3kwh rate that is determine by the charger hardware inside the car.  

All this competition is driving prices down.  My first 16amp 240v EVSE (Leviton) cost nearly $750 and was the cheapest on the market in 2012.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·