While you're in FL, try to keep the charge level +2% above the set point, and then every time you go over a "flyover" and the engine shuts off,.as soon as the road levels off fire it back up to keep the charge level from being used up.
I found that my 2013 Cmax would net 45 to 50mpg with the ICE running at 65-66mph, videos out there to see it.
In city streets I agree its much easier to yo yo your speed, but on the highway its crazy for me to do that back and forth all the time.
Marlowe, Paut (ptjones) does not have an Energi car, he's got a Cmax Hybrid meaning he is always is what we call EV later mode and doesn't have the option of 4 bars on the battery ever, its just 2 bars all the time.
If you are in AUTO, means to the car "use up all the HVB first, and then start the engine. Do not run in this mode unless you intend not to start the engine. Otherwise make sure you flip back and forth between auto when you want EV running and EV later when you want the engine to run. Its not the right thing to do to use up all the battery first and then let the engine run, if you know for sure you're going to need the engine before the trip is over.
You are right that I have a Hybrid, but I thought you said that EV Later was the same. Doesn't change anything really, all the electricity comes from running the ICE so the more efficient you run it the better the MPG's. This is from Wikipedia:
Gasoline (petrol) engines
Modern gasoline engines have a maximum thermal efficiency of about 25% to 50% when used to power a car. In other words, even when the engine is operating at its point of maximum thermal efficiency, of the total heat energy released by the gasolineconsumed, about 50-75% is rejected as heat without being turned into useful work, i.e. turning the crankshaft. Approximately half of this rejected heat is carried away by the exhaust gases, and half passes through the cylinder walls or cylinder head into the engine cooling system, and is passed to the atmosphere via the cooling system radiator. Some of the work generated is also lost as friction, noise, air turbulence, and work used to turn engine equipment and appliances such as water and oil pumps and the electrical generator, leaving only about 25-50% of the energy released by the fuel consumed available to move the vehicle.
At idle, the thermal efficiency is zero, since no usable work is being drawn from the engine. At low speeds, gasoline engines suffer efficiency losses at small throttle openings from the high turbulence and frictional (head) loss when the incoming air must fight its way around the nearly closed throttle; diesel engines do not suffer this loss because the incoming air is not throttled. At high speeds, efficiency in both types of engine is reduced by pumping and mechanical frictional losses, and the shorter period within which combustion has to take place. Engine efficiency peaks in most applications at around 75% of rated engine power, which is also the range of greatest engine torque (e.g. in most modern passenger automobile engines with a redline of about 6,000 RPM, maximum torque is obtained at about 4,500 RPM, and maximum engine power is obtained at about 6,000 RPM). At all other combinations of engine speed and torque, the thermal efficiency is less than this maximum.
Today I made another trip to NW Atlanta on I-85/I-285 and I watched the RPM's for 2Bar acceleration and it varied from 2,200 to 2,850 rpm's. There did seem to be a connection with higher rpm's and steeper grades.