Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Program 17B28 Throttle Body Replacement

throttle program 17b28

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ScottChi

ScottChi

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationCary, NC USA
  • My C-MAX:2016
  • Current Vehicle:2016 C-Max Energi

Posted 11 October 2017 - 10:22 AM

I got a letter from Ford yesterday regarding my 2016 C-MAX Energi, about program 17B28 which involves replacing the throttle body.  That sounds like significant surgery. 

It says "On your vehicle, the electronic throttle body may develop contamination.  This may result in the vehicle entering a protective low-speed mode accompanied by illumination of the service engine soon indicator..." It goes on to give more details about the low speed mode.  Then it says that I need to have the work performed by 9/30/18 in order to qualify, the repair takes half a day, that the dealer repair time may vary, and to go schedule that appointment.

I searched this forum for 17B28, throttle body replacement, and a few other possibilities and did not see any mention of this bulletin.  I'm guessing it's either too recent, or perhaps it involves too few vehicles to be mentioned here yet.

Replacing the throttle body sounds like substantial surgery.  Considering that replacing the air filter takes a page and a half of instructions, this is what I suspect.  Has anyone had this done?  The impression I have is that this won't be a "sit in the waiting area" experience.

Lastly, if anyone has more detail about this flaw and how it develops, I'd really like to know more.

Thanks much!

Scott C. in NC

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   grege

grege

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationDC Metro Area
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2017 Cmax Energi Titanium

Posted 13 October 2017 - 02:24 AM

Replacing the cabin and engine air filters on the cmax is excessive and a bit ridiculous, but relatively easy.  Throttle body shouldn't be too big a chore for your dealer, but likely tedious and depends on how good their wifi and snacks are as to whether or not you should wait.  If a loaner is available, I'd opt for that! 

Good luck and let us know how it goes.  Wonder if the 2017s will be affected!

Greg

#3 OFFLINE   MaxLB

MaxLB

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 79 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationSoCal
  • Current Vehicle:2016 C-Max NRG

Posted 13 October 2017 - 05:02 PM

I got a letter also.

#4 OFFLINE   Rama

Rama

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationHi
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2016 Energi

Posted 28 November 2017 - 09:25 AM

I was driving home the other night and while going up a hill, the engine started losing power, check engine light came on. No throttle response, pulled over.

Shut the car down and restarted-still no throttle response while in Drive. Shut it off and waited a few minutes, then restarted and it worked normally on the way home. 

Reading the code points to the throttle body or related sensors.

I recommend doing this replacement as soon as possible-it could be dangerous if it shuts down in high speed or heavy traffic.

I have a '16 Energy with about 25k miles.

#5 OFFLINE   Levi Smith

Levi Smith

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • PipPip
  • 728 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationUpstate NY
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 303A W Panoramic Roof

Posted 29 November 2017 - 06:55 AM

Interesting.  This sounds like a Prius issue where some of the higher mileage ones needed a throttle body cleaning as they would get gunked up a bit over time and the plate wouldn't fully close or open as I recall.

#6 OFFLINE   Hackster

Hackster

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 79 posts
  • Region:Canada Ontario
  • LocationGTA
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX Energi 2016

Posted 01 December 2017 - 06:33 PM

I had this recall done and it took the dealer about 40 minutes start to finish.

#7 OFFLINE   ct18

ct18

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationMichigan
  • Current Vehicle:C Max energi

Posted 04 December 2017 - 06:28 PM

I cleaned the wife's mass air flow sensor this weekend and while i had everything apart i took a look at the throttle body. It is very dirty once you open the gate that lets the air in, i am going to grab some cleaner this week and clean it. I have seen a few videos of people removing them and cleaning but that is way more than i want to get into. I also cleaned and oiled the K&N air filter and it is a pain to access, thats why i went with K&N. I usually clean it after 25k.

#8 OFFLINE   ScottChi

ScottChi

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationCary, NC USA
  • Current Vehicle:2016 C-Max Energi

Posted 12 December 2017 - 07:04 AM

Interesting.  This sounds like a Prius issue where some of the higher mileage ones needed a throttle body cleaning as they would get gunked up a bit over time and the plate wouldn't fully close or open as I recall.

I owned the original US Prius (2002) and discovered the hard way that the throttle body was completely intolerant of oil overfill on that vehicle.  It was an excellent car otherwise, but the problem was compounded by the fact that its relatively small engine used far less oil than the typical car in the USA.  I got into the habit of immediately checking the dipstick whenever I had my car serviced, because even a hair above the full mark would gunk it up.

After 5 or 6 years repair shops began recognizing the problem and avoiding it.

Hackster: Thanks for the info, I guess I won't need to put my bicycle on the rack for this service.

Scott C.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·