Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

C-Max oddities

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   GTIguy

GTIguy

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 56 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationDenver
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:2017 C-MAX Energi Titanium, 2014 C-Max Hybrid (daughter's car)

Posted 09 October 2017 - 08:17 PM

Maybe we could have a discussion of our cars' quirks, surprises and mysteries?

Don't get me wrong, I love my new C-Max. Just this week, I persuaded two friends to consider one for themselves (including a dissatisfied Prius driver). But this car does call its own tune. When Ford made it, they broke the mold-  and all those other sayings.

My nomination for oddest C-Max feature is the black plastic molding that dangles way down the center of the windshield. For me, it looks like a spatula. It's a mount for the mirror, but why does it extend several inches below that point? That's probably a rain sensor visible through the windshield, but why does it need to be down there? 

As a visibilityseeker who never hangs any blingy things from my car's mirror, I found this irritating at first. Soon, I forgot all about it. The forward view from these cars is so big and broad compared to other cars, I can't complain. Maybe there's even a perceptual benefit. Every time my eyes wander over to some roadside attraction, that broad black arrow points me back, "Eyes ahead, buddy!"

Any other guesses about this? Or was it an attempt to half-replicate the classic 1940s split-windshield look?

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   Jonathan Ezor

Jonathan Ezor

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 189 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationLong Island, NY
  • My C-MAX:2015
  • Current Vehicle:2015 C-MAX Energi

Posted 10 October 2017 - 08:29 AM

Oddity, quirk, or just damned annoying: no hardware play/pause button on the Sony stereo (2015 version). I'm sorry, does Ford think we never actually want to shut off the music temporarily? {Jonathan}

#3 OFFLINE   cr08

cr08

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 105 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ice Storm C-Max Energi

Posted 10 October 2017 - 08:54 AM

Jonathan, try the power button. Essentially does the same thing. Nav/phone/display still works but it toggles media playback off and on.
  • ptjones likes this

#4 OFFLINE   marlowefamily

marlowefamily

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationSan Diego
  • Current Vehicle:2017 Energi Titanium w/ Moonroof

Posted 10 October 2017 - 09:11 AM

The real mystery is the backdoor lift sensor....  half the time it works perfectly, the other half I'm just looking stupid waving my foot underneath the car while nothing happens.

• ScottChi likes this

#5 OFFLINE   cwstnsko

cwstnsko

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 361 posts
  • Region:Canada Prairie Provinces
  • LocationWinnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
  • Current Vehicle:2015 C-Max Energi

Posted 10 October 2017 - 10:52 AM

My nomination for oddest C-Max feature is the black plastic molding that dangles way down the center of the windshield. For me, it looks like a spatula. It's a mount for the mirror, but why does it extend several inches below that point? That's probably a rain sensor visible through the windshield, but why does it need to be down there? 

My guess is that the sensor has to be low enough on the windshield to be within the area wiped by the wipers, if it were outside the area wiped by the wipers, how would it know when the windshield needed to be wiped again?

#6 OFFLINE   cwstnsko

cwstnsko

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 361 posts
  • Region:Canada Prairie Provinces
  • LocationWinnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
  • Current Vehicle:2015 C-Max Energi

Posted 10 October 2017 - 10:55 AM

The real mystery is the backdoor lift sensor....  half the time it works perfectly, the other half I'm just looking stupid waving my foot underneath the car while nothing happens.

Are you swiping your foot under and back out, or side to side?  The most common mistake is swiping side to side when the sensor is looking for a fore and aft swipe.  The sensor can also get dirty which reduces it's effectiveness, and installing a receiver hitch seems to make it a lot pickier.

#7 OFFLINE   cr08

cr08

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 105 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio

Posted 10 October 2017 - 10:56 AM

My guess is that the sensor has to be low enough on the windshield to be within the area wiped by the wipers, if it were outside the area wiped by the wipers, how would it know when the windshield needed to be wiped again?

Also has to be high enough to be outside of possible obstructions (aka, can't have it at the bottom of the windshield) and have access to power (overhead console/mirror).

To be fair, all other vehicles with these sensors have them in the same spot and aren't much different in size.

#8 OFFLINE   cr08

cr08

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 105 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio

Posted 10 October 2017 - 10:58 AM

Are you swiping your foot under and back out, or side to side?  The most common mistake is swiping side to side when the sensor is looking for a fore and aft swipe.  The sensor can also get dirty which reduces it's effectiveness, and installing a receiver hitch seems to make it a lot pickier.

I'm actually considering trying to do a writeup with pics on this. I installed a hitch on mine which has made it fail 90% of the time for me. Based on a few comments I've seen spread around the 'net it should be possible to adjust/move the sensor to improve the reliability. Not sure on that part but I'll have to do some investigating.

#9 OFFLINE   komondor

komondor

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 410 posts
  • Locationdenver
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX Energi

Posted 10 October 2017 - 07:54 PM

No notification of low wiper fluid and the complaint for all ford products low tire sensor does not tell you which tire to check

#10 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 601 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNewnan,GA
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2013 CMAX Hybrid

Posted 11 October 2017 - 06:41 AM

Are you swiping your foot under and back out, or side to side?  The most common mistake is swiping side to side when the sensor is looking for a fore and aft swipe.  The sensor can also get dirty which reduces it's effectiveness, and installing a receiver hitch seems to make it a lot pickier

5 years and I have been using side to side and it works 90% of the time, I will have to try in and out next time. :smile2:

Paul

#11 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,805 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 11 October 2017 - 06:59 AM

In and out is the way I do it, works very well for me.

-=>Raja.

#12 OFFLINE   GTIguy

GTIguy

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationDenver
  • Current Vehicle:2017 C-MAX Energi Titanium, 2014 C-Max Hybrid (daughter's car)

Posted 13 October 2017 - 12:53 PM

That actually makes sense, considering how low the passenger wiper sweeps. My GTI had the sensor on the dash, I think. But that's far below eye level, so the best inconspicuous place might be on the back of the mirror, on the driver's side.

So the spatula is there to hold the rain sensor. But why does it extend almost three inches below the sensor?

Edited by GTIguy, 13 October 2017 - 12:54 PM.

#13 OFFLINE   fotomoto

fotomoto

Energi Member

• 1,184 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationSouth Texas
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX

Posted 13 October 2017 - 01:20 PM

As a visibilityseeker who never hangs any blingy things from my car's mirror, I found this irritating at first. 

Yes, you will get use to it. 

In the early days, there use to be a lot of complaints (including myself) that when looking at the side mirrors through the side windows there was a glare/reflection from the silver instrument panel trim.  I got use to it as did other owners but it's strange that complaints from new owners stopped a long time ago.  The trim is still there!  :detective:  :wink:

Now you won't be able to unsee it.  Your welcome!    :hysterical:

#14 OFFLINE   viajero

viajero

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 578 posts
  • LocationAustin TX
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi

Posted 13 October 2017 - 05:01 PM

Yes, you will get use to it. 

In the early days, there use to be a lot of complaints (including myself) that when looking at the side mirrors through the side windows there was a glare/reflection from the silver instrument panel trim.  I got use to it as did other owners but it's strange that complaints from new owners stopped a long time ago.  The trim is still there!  :detective:  :wink:

Now you won't be able to unsee it.  Your welcome!    :hysterical:

On the 2017 they changed the silver trim to be dark like the rest of the dash. Reflection is barely noticeable anymore.

#15 OFFLINE   fotomoto

fotomoto

Energi Member

• 1,184 posts
  • LocationSouth Texas
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX

Posted 14 October 2017 - 07:36 PM

Reflection is barely noticeable anymore.

Funny, still there huh.  

#16 OFFLINE   MaxLB

MaxLB

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 79 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationSoCal
  • My C-MAX:2016
  • Current Vehicle:2016 C-Max NRG

Posted 15 October 2017 - 09:15 AM

That actually makes sense, considering how low the passenger wiper sweeps. My GTI had the sensor on the dash, I think. But that's far below eye level, so the best inconspicuous place might be on the back of the mirror, on the driver's side.

So the spatula is there to hold the rain sensor. But why does it extend almost three inches below the sensor?

It's funny how some people find this so distracting.  Every day I see so many other drivers who have their phones mounted on windshield suction cup mounts, pretty much right in front of their face; ESPECIALLY the Uber and Lyft drivers (scourge of the road if you ask me).

More than once I've witnessed people watching live streamed news or sporting events on their phones mounted like this.

Personally, the mirror surround does not bother me.  The visibility in our cars is SO much better than just about anything else that I find it hard to fault even the large A pillars.

#17 OFFLINE   stolenmoment

stolenmoment

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 259 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationBoston
  • Current Vehicle:Maxwell Smart

Posted 15 October 2017 - 09:46 AM

This might be a consequence of moving the mirror higher on later models; my 2013 has a shorter view to the rear because of the mirror height, but it completely covers that tongue; I can't see it below the mirror.

#18 OFFLINE   GTIguy

GTIguy

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 17 October 2017 - 06:56 PM

Also, I think it's peculiar that I can roll the windows down with the key, standing outside the car, but I can't seem to reverse the process. My phone app even tells me if a window's open. But is there any remote means of battening down the hatches, or do I still have to walk out into the rainstorm to open the door and close the windows, just like with a Twentieth Century car?

#19 OFFLINE   SELT

SELT

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Region:Canada Quebec
  • LocationMontreal
  • Current Vehicle:Energy Titanium

Posted 18 October 2017 - 05:25 AM

I second that oddity about not being able to roll UP the windows via FOB nor MFM 😡
  • RubyMax likes this

#20 OFFLINE   Hackster

Hackster

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 79 posts
  • Region:Canada Ontario
  • LocationGTA
  • My C-MAX:2016
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX Energi 2016

Posted 18 October 2017 - 03:29 PM

That - inability to auto-up windows with a remote - is likely a safety feature, the "bounce-back" safeguard notwithstanding.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·