Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Saying goodbye to my 350z for a C-Max Energi

energi

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   fullofenergi

fullofenergi

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Region:Canada Ontario
  • LocationHamilton
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:C-max Energi & 350z

Posted 04 October 2017 - 06:51 AM

Hey all, 

I get my new 2017 C-Max energi and am excited, I will be saying goodbye to my fun sports car to my new fuel efficient C-Max Energi. My work office moved and now I sit in an hour worth of traffic daily in a 6speedMT 350z, I can't take it anymore so i went out and picked up the C-Max Energi, not only will i save on gas (current vehicle is $70 every 4 days) but i will also save about 20hrs a month with the green plate I can take the HOV lane. I do have a question since trying to do some research but never got any clear answers. If my work is 50km each way and I can charge at both ends my house and my job how far should I be able to drive on a full tank? Also i will be doing a few visual mods that I will post. 

Cheers im excited to grow up and out of the sports car into the commuter practical car. 

• ptjones likes this

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   RubyMax

RubyMax

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 642 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationNortheast Ohio
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi, 302A, Pano; Focus Electric

Posted 04 October 2017 - 07:19 AM

Let's do some math:

Your one way commute exceeds the AER (all electric range) of the car, so you will be using gas on each leg of your round trip drive to work.

Assume you can get 20 miles electric and 11 mile hybrid per each trip.

Using EPA rating of 39mpg, a 14 gallon tank will net you 546 (39x14) miles.

You will use .56 (22/39) gallons per day of gasoline, and use the entire 14 gallons in 25 days.

Since your daily commute is 62 miles, you will get 1550 (62x25) miles per tank.

• ptjones likes this

#3 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,723 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 04 October 2017 - 08:05 AM

The best thing about this car is that the numbers can vary alot whether you drive it like a 350z (as Eric's numbers above) or like a Cmax was intended to be which would be alot higher.

First off, 31 miles is very possible to reach your destination on battery only if you are #1 stuck in traffic alot, and #2 keep the average speed to 40mph or below.

2nd if you don't make it on EV and use the ICE, if you keep the speeds down below 55mph your MPG numbers should be close to 51mpg not 39 due to the hybrid action.

Assuming you drive hybrid only, at 51mpg you should get about 715 miles range.  31 miles each trip back and forth is 62 miles per day.  Should last you 11 trips or over 2 weeks before you have to get gas.

Now add the battery into the mix.  If you use the battery where it needs to be used and use the engine where it should be used, your average MPG number should go up to around 72mpg (that's my average lifetime with the 2017 now).  Now your range is 1008 miles and your fuel tank should last you over 3 weeks, 16 days/trips before you have to get gas.

And lastly it can vary from 16 days to unlimited days until you wear the battery out if you drive 100% EV and charge it at work to go back. 

How long are you keeping the car?  Is it a lease or is it yours?  This my new recommendation now:

#1 if its a lease you don't care about the battery, so charge it both at home and at work and use it 100% dry every day and use as little gas as possible.

#2 if its yours to keep, use the battery only 1 bar continuous on average, start the engine for heavier loads, climbing hills or highway speeds and use the battery slowly giving you a range of at least 37 miles or 60km on battery.  If some is left in it when you get to work then so be it, and if you do the same going home determine how much you need to charge it at work so you can get back using some engine and don't charge it in the heat or while baking in the sun.

The original consensus of this car was to try to drive it like there was no engine.  Use the battery all the time, charge it and use the battery more, and run errands all day on battery.  Install a 240v charger in your garage so you can do this, and keep the engine at home when you go out (if you could).  

Now I say don't do that, especially if you want the battery to last the life of the car, and don't charge it with 240 at home or don't buy that for your house, just use the 120v its plenty enough, 240 makes more heat while charging than 120v does - also encourages additional trips without letting the battery rest and cool down.  I use 240v on the road but always 120v at home. and sparingly with the 240v I'm careful not to let it bake in the sun and charge, more so at night or evenings on 240v.

Welcome to the Cmax, and here, take a look at this, driving around the city with the engine and battery in places where it works best, when I fill the tank, see my range below!!  Note that my battery is not full at that time, about 2/3rd with the 24 mile range, my average range in the summer is 35 miles fully charged.  Here I'll post a picture of that also...

Last picture is showing that you can actually get 37 miles out of the battery if you drive it very efficiently, and showing that you can indeed go back and forth to work on battery without using the engine, but in the summer not in the cold months of Canada.  However, I would not recommend this if you plan to keep the car, I'd say always choose to keep the power draw low on the battery unless its a 100% short EV trip and you don't intend to start the engine.  For a daily commute I would figure out where to start the engine to best fit into the mix of power needs.

Welcome aboard and hope this helps!!

-=>Raja.

Attached Files

Edited by rbort, 04 October 2017 - 08:11 AM.

• GTIguy likes this

#4 OFFLINE   fullofenergi

fullofenergi

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationHamilton

Posted 04 October 2017 - 09:43 AM

Hey guys big help thanks again and to the first reply I will be driving this car how it should be....slow and gently. I will have to convert all your units of measurements above but I get the drift it wont be the current 300ishKM i currently get which is like 165 miles. To the second reply I purchased the vehicle brand new how long are those batteries suppose to last if you are easy on them. I have to be honest here the most beneficial part of this car is that i wont have to sit in 1hr of traffic everyday and it will take me 35mins to go from home to work. You saw how much i was paying in gas before so even if I just use the battery for in the city driving and gas for highway i would be okay with that. I might try a few times for my own sake to see how many KM i can get but not afraid to use the gas engine lots. When i test drove i  liked the gas engine as the car has a pretty good pickup on it not what my current car does but still pretty quick for a green plated vehicle. 

Cheers guys I will keep you updated. Im going to tint the windows and lights make it look sharp and not so much like a soccer mom vehicle (my wifes comment) 

#5 OFFLINE   fullofenergi

fullofenergi

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationHamilton

Posted 04 October 2017 - 09:49 AM

Also when do i use each mode I know there is three should i just leave it in auto? 

#6 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,723 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 04 October 2017 - 10:09 AM

No not always in auto.  You need to use Auto and EV later modes.  EV now is good when you're in very cold weather and want to prevent the engine from starting (that's if you're not using the heat).  There is ALOT to talk about this car, I could write a book.  Might be quicker to talk on the phone, maybe I could call you if you want questions answered, just PM me your number.

Don't think pickup with this car (acceleration), try to keep the power at 2 bars on the engine and wait for it to pickup speed.  More efficient that way.

Don't step on the gas once you start the engine, you wait to wait until it warms up before the power is actually available,  While its warming up you're taking most of the power STILL from the battery.

The battery will last the lifetime of the car if you treat it well.  Supposed to be 10 years.  I went 4 years with my first car in and 4 years I lost about 10% capacity, 118k km on the car.  And I did some things wrong.  This time around with the new 2017 I'm trying to be even better to the battery. 

To change miles to KM above, multiply miles by 1.609.

-=>Raja.

#7 OFFLINE   fullofenergi

fullofenergi

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationHamilton

Posted 04 October 2017 - 10:40 AM

Cheers Raja appreicate the call but I dont have too many other questions maybe so once I get the car next Wednesday thanks. 

#8 OFFLINE   RubyMax

RubyMax

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 642 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationNortheast Ohio
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi, 302A, Pano; Focus Electric

Posted 04 October 2017 - 11:04 AM

I was ultra conservative on my estimates, essentially using EPA ratings for EV range and MPG.  As Raja states, you can get way more range out of the car (both gas and electric) if you drive it as he suggests.  I drive, what I consider very easy most of the time, but in my 4 years, I have never gotten 31 miles out of the battery alone.  High 20's many times, but mostly mid 20s.  Also, I have never gotten over 50 mpg on any tank, or even highway trip.  If I drive slightly under freeway speed limits, maybe high 40's.

It's probably the way I drive, but I am not as old as Raja, LOL.

#9 OFFLINE   fullofenergi

fullofenergi

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationHamilton

Posted 04 October 2017 - 11:54 AM

Hahaha yeah well im a bit worried that my old 350z habits of doing a complete 360 degree from a stand still point will not be happening also not going over 140mph but thats the old me....I hope. 

#10 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,723 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 04 October 2017 - 11:59 AM

The best thing this car did for me is rid me of trying to get there as fast as I can as that was the only game and bragging rights. Now that I drive the speed limit I never have to sweat cops I wave when I go by and they sometimes yes follow me late at night wondering why I’m going so slow and not speeding maybe I’m drunk but I’m Not :)

No more tickets for sure with the Cmax!!

-=>Raja.

#11 OFFLINE   fullofenergi

fullofenergi

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationHamilton

Posted 04 October 2017 - 12:22 PM

Never had a ticket knocking on wood right now 

#12 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,723 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 04 October 2017 - 12:42 PM

Oh you don't even have it yet??  OMG, wait until you get it you're certainly going to love it!!

-=>Raja.

#13 OFFLINE   viajero

viajero

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 573 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationAustin TX
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi

Posted 04 October 2017 - 06:11 PM

Sucks to have a Z in stop and go traffic. The nice thing about EVs/hybrids is the worse the traffic, the better the mileage. Unless of course you use the heater in EV mode. Use the heated seats if it’s slightly cold, and if it’s really cold run the ICE at the start of the trip to warm up the coolant. Preheat the car on shore power if you can.

Rbort already said most things there are to say about it. One thing I disagree with is the 240 V vs. 120 V. Watching the battery temperature on the Scangauge, neither charger heats the battery much at all. The 240 V is more efficient than the 120 - less total energy from the wall to fill the battery. Even the “fast charging” 240 V charger is 3.3 kW, a charge rate of less than 0.5 C, and several times less than the charge/discharge power you get while driving the car, accelerating or slowing with regen.

#14 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,723 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 04 October 2017 - 07:03 PM

It’s about heat in the car. The 240v makes a lot more heat push the seat forward remove the hatch for the battery and feel it. Also ends up running the cooling fan faster sooner to circulate all the heat around. Warms up the car like a furnace and raises the battery temperature. Also slow charging on a battery is always better than fast charging.

Your opinion may vary, I totally understand that but I go by my experience.

-=>Raja.

#15 OFFLINE   GTIguy

GTIguy

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationDenver
  • Current Vehicle:2017 C-MAX Energi Titanium, 2009 VW GTI, 2014 C-Max Hybrid (daughter's car)

Posted 09 October 2017 - 08:46 PM

Greetings, fullofenergi, hope you have your new car now! I won't bore myself talking numbers, Raja does that best (I jest). My own random example is that with no special handling or technique, my '17 C-Max amazes me with its fuel efficiency. The first 3,000 miles scored at 65 mpg, with only 20% of miles done on plug-in power. 

My new car uses less than half the gas of my old one, which was no guzzler. I could get 28 mpg overall out of my 2009 GTI, driving like a hypermiler. Have you heard this expression, "It's more fun to drive a slow car fast than to drive a fast car slow"? It's true. Just watch out on your first few drives and don't forget that the Ford's center of gravity is about a foot higher. On my drive home from the dealer, on the first curve, a tight-radius S-curve, I verified that stability control was awake and on duty. Cornering these cars is not the same!

I don't feel like I gave up much else from the GTI, though. The NRG has almost as much HP. I was pulling off quick passes on a two-lane highway at 8,000 ft above sea level yesterday. It wasn't the explosive event of a turbo GTI, but it got the job well done. The tires are wide (and could be grippy, if not the stock ones). Crucially, the steering is quick, precise and steady. 

Mine is in Titanium trim, justifying my nickname: NRGTi.

• ptjones likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: energi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·