Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

cmax energi electric heat

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#41 ONLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,974 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 06 January 2015 - 08:20 PM

Jack, I did some more reading of other people's experiences.  You should use the block heater for 3 hours, anything longer is a waste as it doesn't heat the engine any further.  You can check to confirm this with the engineering mode screen to see the coolant temperature.

-=>Raja.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#42 OFFLINE   Smiling Jack

Smiling Jack

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 366 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationHouston, Texas
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 303A w. sun roof

Posted 06 January 2015 - 08:26 PM

Jack:

I assume you only use the block heater IF you plan to start the engine, otherwise its pointless right?  Electric here has gone up 37% though I don't pay for it due to solar panels if I use it then I don't get to sell it anyways so its the same thing.

-=>Raja.

Right.

With my previous hybrid, I would use the block heater on a timer most mornings.  It drew 400 watts.  Two hours was always enough.  20 minutes was sort of a point of diminishing returns.  Even at the outrageous price of  37 cents, I think you could heat up for 45 minutes or so and still come out ahead.  I developed a very simple test to figure out the maximum amount of gas you could save before you install a block heater (or precisely how much you save after the fact). I bet you would like it.  PM me if you are interested, and I will send it to you.

With the Energi I rarely do a cold start from home; so I never installed a block heater on it.  If I often did cold starts from home, I surely would install a block heater and return to using it regularly.

• dr61 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·