Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

cmax energi electric heat

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   cmaxmd

cmaxmd

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 92 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationMaryland
  • Current Vehicle:c-max energi

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:35 PM

The car is supposed to have electric heat so the engine doesn't have to start unless it is really cold.

According to one of the dash displays the heat is taking 5kw and seems to reduce estimated range from 23 to 17 miles (on full charge).

However, I feel little if any heat come out of the vents unless the engine has been on for a few minutes, where it works quite well.

Given 5kw (similar to an electric clothes dryer), I'd expect it to get quite hot very quickly. 

What are other people's experience with the power/speed of the electric heat?  I'd rather not bring it in unless I'm sure there is a problem.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   honemch

honemch

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 791 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationSan Diego, CA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi

Posted 21 January 2013 - 05:08 PM

Its takes a lot of energy initially because it is heating the coolant with an electric element... Once the coolant is hot enough, the current requried to maintain is much less and the blower will kick on in full force and provide heat. No problem with your energi.

#3 OFFLINE   cmaxmd

cmaxmd

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 92 posts
  • LocationMaryland
  • Current Vehicle:c-max energi

Posted 21 January 2013 - 05:35 PM

Thx, interesting that it works by heating the water then using the normal heater core.  I thought it would have worked like a space heater..  Learn something every day.

#4 OFFLINE   Shorttack

Shorttack

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 98 posts
  • LocationWestport, MA; Savannah, GA
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Energi 303A

Posted 21 January 2013 - 06:38 PM

Welcome, Cmaxmd. Most of us try to start the day with a full battery charge and the climate system turned OFF. Use the seat heater to avoid total frigidity.

You will pick up 4 or more EV miles per charge by avoiding EV climate control in winter.

Avoid remote start with climate control turned on. Even with the car plugged into AC, you'll deplete your battery due to the 5kw load being greater than the AC can provide.

Never use the electric heating system on EV to heat up a cold car if you can avoid it. Instead, go to EV Later for a few minus and let the greater heating capacity of the motor warm things up. I did that this afternoon when the snow started and I needed defrost (the biggest electricity draw for heat). I knew my trip was over 20 miles no would exhaust the EV battery, so I turned the motor on when I got to the hilly part. Side benefit was heat.

I'm at 400 miles over two weeks with less than half a tank used.

If you have any more questions, please ask. I find this a very friendly and informative forum.
  • AzureBlue likes this

#5 OFFLINE   fwroberts

fwroberts

Rick

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 548 posts
  • LocationMontague, MA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Energi - 303A

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:23 PM

I am having the same experience, thinking the electric heat should be blasting since it costs 5kw! Didn't realize it was heating the coolant, which in turn heats the cabin.

I echo Shorttack's comments about squeezing as many EV miles as possible during the day. Before I bought the Energi I was thinking to myself: electric seats, remote start to preheat the cabin while plugged in, this is going to be a real cozy commute for a change.

Now I'm like all the others: full charge in the morning, preheat 1hr before I leave for work to give the battery time to recover the 15 minute preheat burn, drive with no heat (except electric seats) until I absolutely have to run the ICE then turn on the heat, use EV later while on Rt. 2 going 60+ and save EV for when I'm in town going 30-45 mph.

And I'm loving it!

This weekend I drove from home to charging station in Northampton and then back home on all electric. Then did the same on Sunday going into Greenfield. I'm absolutely loving driving this plug-in hybrid!

Rick

#6 OFFLINE   rspray

rspray

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationUnited States
  • Current Vehicle:Chrysler 300

Posted 26 January 2013 - 06:04 PM

I actually don't have a C-max Energi, but have a Fusion Energi on order (8-10 weeks).  I wanted to confirm something with you guys. I opted to forgo the Titanium Trim as the only upgrade I thought I wanted was the remote start (standard).  However, the dealer informed me that it was not possible to remote start the car to pre-heat it while plugged in, to avoid losing EV miles.  Is this true?  I can still have remote start factory installed for a few hundered if it can be done, but honestly that is my only interest in the option (saving EV miles).

#7 OFFLINE   fwroberts

fwroberts

Rick

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 548 posts
  • LocationMontague, MA

Posted 26 January 2013 - 06:40 PM

It's true. The climate draws more current than the 110v circuit can provide so you end up drawing from the EV battery when pre-heating the car while plugged in. It may be less of a draw when using 220v charging but I'm not sure.

There are tricks you can use though, so I wouldn't let that stop you from getting remote start.

I pre-heat for 15 minutes, 1hr before I have to leave. The cabin cools down a bit, and the battery charges back up a bit. So when I leave for work the cabin is a little warmer than outside and I usually have a full charge, or almost.

Intelligent Access is a feature I love, and push button start, and the Sony radio with My Ford Touch. I think if you get Intelligent Access the remote start comes along for the ride. I'm just learning about all the features of the SEL 303A package, and the more I learn the gladder I am that this was the only model on the lot when I was ready to buy. Otherwise, I would have gotten the 301A package...

Rick

#8 OFFLINE   rspray

rspray

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:32 PM

It's true. The climate draws more current than the 110v circuit can provide so you end up drawing from the EV battery when pre-heating the car while plugged in. It may be less of a draw when using 220v charging but I'm not sure.

There are tricks you can use though, so I wouldn't let that stop you from getting remote start.

I pre-heat for 15 minutes, 1hr before I have to leave. The cabin cools down a bit, and the battery charges back up a bit. So when I leave for work the cabin is a little warmer than outside and I usually have a full charge, or almost.

Intelligent Access is a feature I love, and push button start, and the Sony radio with My Ford Touch. I think if you get Intelligent Access the remote start comes along for the ride. I'm just learning about all the features of the SEL 303A package, and the more I learn the gladder I am that this was the only model on the lot when I was ready to buy. Otherwise, I would have gotten the 301A package...

Rick

Thanks for the run-down, Rick.  It seems the salesman was mis-informed.  He thought that it was not possible to remote start (or pre-heat) the car while plugged in.  From what you are saying, it is possible. Does it seem like pre-heating is something that could accomplished through MyFord Touch (or whatever controls charging at at a delayed time for lower rates) ? If I have to get remote start to in order to accomplish pre-heating while plugged in, I guess I'll shell out for them to install it on my SE when it arrives.

In all honesty, I didn't want a Titanium because I can't stand black leather. I could care less about the upgraded stereo and interior illumination, and was planning to delete the spoiler.  The only things I liked was IA and remote start, but not for another $1200+

#9 OFFLINE   fwroberts

fwroberts

Rick

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 548 posts
  • LocationMontague, MA

Posted 27 January 2013 - 05:10 AM

I have heard that delayed start, and some other cool features, will be active when My Ford Mobile starts supporting the Energi. Since it's not supported yet, it's hard to say how it will work, but I think you'll be able to set a time to charge and a time for the cabin to be pre-heated and ready to drive away.

It sounds good in theory.

Rick

#10 OFFLINE   DozerBob

DozerBob

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 154 posts
  • LocationLaguna Hills, CA
  • Current Vehicle:Sterling Grey Energi, Finally

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:51 AM

I purchased the heavy duty timer on Amazon for charging between 12 am and 5 am and it works to perfection.http://www.amazon.co...ef=pd_sim_hi_3  The night before when I shut off the car, I put the interior temp to 80 and fan on medium, Then, in the morning with the car still plugged in, I open the garage and remote start the car with the key fob. One push to lock the doors and 2 pushes on the remote start button. The car starts without the ICE, probably because it's in the 60's here in So Cal, and when I uplug and get in the car it's toasty enough that I turn off the heater for the drive to work. I really don't care if they get the MYFORDMOBILE feature working or not. I don't have a "smart" phone yet anyway.

My dumb phones contacts downloaded to Sync without a hitch anyway and the voice calling feature works great!

Edited by DozerBob, 27 January 2013 - 08:53 AM.

• hljmesa likes this

#11 OFFLINE   astrand1

astrand1

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 299 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationDetroit
  • My C-MAX:2014
  • Current Vehicle:Me= 2014 C-Max Energi 302a, White platinum metallic. wife= 2014 Fusion Hybrid

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:56 AM

Rspray, with the intelligent access and all the other computers on this car I would highly recommend getting the car with factory remote start. Having it installed aftermarket is just not a good idea. IMHO. Also if you have it installed after the fact I don't think my ford mobile will work with it. Again my opinion but pretty sure that's how it will go down. But as someone else said I think if the one u ordered has intelligent access then it should just already have remote start. :)

#12 OFFLINE   rspray

rspray

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:52 AM

Rspray, with the intelligent access and all the other computers on this car I would highly recommend getting the car with factory remote start. Having it installed aftermarket is just not a good idea. IMHO. Also if you have it installed after the fact I don't think my ford mobile will work with it. Again my opinion but pretty sure that's how it will go down. But as someone else said I think if the one u ordered has intelligent access then it should just already have remote start. :)

Yeah, if I get it, it will definitely be purchased / installed by Ford.  In 8-10 weeks when mine arrives, we'll see how advanced MyFordMobile is by then before I add it.

#13 OFFLINE   astrand1

astrand1

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 299 posts
  • LocationDetroit
  • My C-MAX:2014
  • Current Vehicle:Me= 2014 C-Max Energi 302a, White platinum metallic. wife= 2014 Fusion Hybrid

Posted 27 January 2013 - 04:36 PM

Rspray, so I just went and built a fusion energi and I see what u mean about having to go upto titanium to get the intelligent access. That kinda sucks. Seems like most of the other options are really ala carte. Where as the c max we just have the packages and add ons for the sunroof and parking assist. But I really think that if you get the ford remote start added at the dealer it's not going to work with my ford mobile. I gotta believe that's something that would have to be built into the cars computer. When they add it at the dealer it's a separate module and you will have a separate small fob that's used to start the car. But who knows. Maybe they have changed things and they can make it work with MFM. Guess we will see.
Alex.

#14 OFFLINE   jheth

jheth

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
  • Current Vehicle:N/A

Posted 01 March 2013 - 07:39 AM

Trying to get an aftermarket remote start to work properly on a high-tech car like this is going to be a big hassle.... a hassle worth more than $1200. I acknowledge that OEM options are expensive, but they are fully functional and reliable... and most importantly fully supported under the car's warranty.
Lots of people add aftermarket gadgets and engine modifications to vehicles... then wonder why it doesn't work exactly right. They make it their mission to make it work... and many times they succeed. I, for one, just don't have the time or patience to play this game. Best of luck to you :-)

#15 OFFLINE   Dale142

Dale142

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Location14221
  • Current Vehicle:Edge

Posted 03 December 2014 - 05:53 PM

This is the first winter with the Energi.  I've read what others have said here. 

Seems my choices are be cold or suffer a 5-6 mile penalty on the range. 

This seems odd given there is no noticeable mileage penalty for using the electric seats to get at least part of me warm. 

But should the fan come on full blast when I turn to the automatic setting?  Or manually turn heat on?  Yes, I can turn the fan down to a lower speed, but shouldn't it start at that?  And increase as the coolant warms up?

#16 OFFLINE   jdbob

jdbob

Techo Geek

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 588 posts
  • LocationJohn Day, Oregon
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi

Posted 03 December 2014 - 07:03 PM

Electric seat heaters are only going to take a small amount of power, maybe a couple hundred watts. The heating element and fan take 5 thousand watts total until the cabin is warmed up.

I was under the impression that the fan didn't speed up until the coolant heated up sufficiently but I could be wrong.

#17 OFFLINE   komondor

komondor

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 430 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • Locationdenver
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX Energi

Posted 03 December 2014 - 07:36 PM

Maybe buy something like this and use a timer to heat the car if you can, after all if you plug in the car you have an outlet

http://www.walmart.c...mostat/21804031

#18 OFFLINE   RubyMax

RubyMax

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 664 posts
  • LocationNortheast Ohio
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi, 302A, Pano; Focus Electric

Posted 04 December 2014 - 05:39 AM

Maybe buy something like this and use a timer to heat the car if you can, after all if you plug in the car you have an outlet

http://www.walmart.c...mostat/21804031

That looks tremendously dangerous

#19 OFFLINE   timwil56

timwil56

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 524 posts
  • LocationMinnesota
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion SE

Posted 04 December 2014 - 12:15 PM

I start my daily 9.5 mile commute in EV Later, I travel 3.9 miles, and the car switches between EV and EV Later on its own, but it mostly runs the ICE due to heater settings and acceleration. This heats up the coolant, so when I switch to EV for the final 5.6 miles it does not use the ICE due to heater settings. I close the center dash and rear seat vents, and use the vents on the ends to keep the side windows clear and the heat in the vehicle keeps the windshield clear. I only use the defroster when absolutely necessary. I live in MN and at 03:15 when I go to work, it's generally in the low teens or colder. I will not sacrifice my comfort for 0.11 gallons of gasoline, because that's how much I use everyday. You have to learn to drive this car the way it works best for you. If you are obsessed with not using a drop of gasoline and you live in a Northern climate, you will sacrifice comfort and I don't care what anyone says, a seat heater will not keep your hands or face warm, only your ass. I have learned to toggle between all the modes to maximize economy and comfort during the winter months.

• langle likes this

#20 OFFLINE   tr7driver

tr7driver

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 230 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Locationcentral
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max energi, Fusion Ti Hy, Mustang GT, Triumph TR7

Posted 05 December 2014 - 08:17 AM

I start my daily 9.5 mile commute in EV Later, I travel 3.9 miles, and the car switches between EV and EV Later on its own, but it mostly runs the ICE due to heater settings and acceleration. This heats up the coolant, so when I switch to EV for the final 5.6 miles it does not use the ICE due to heater settings. I close the center dash and rear seat vents, and use the vents on the ends to keep the side windows clear and the heat in the vehicle keeps the windshield clear. I only use the defroster when absolutely necessary. I live in MN and at 03:15 when I go to work, it's generally in the low teens or colder. I will not sacrifice my comfort for 0.11 gallons of gasoline, because that's how much I use everyday. You have to learn to drive this car the way it works best for you. If you are obsessed with not using a drop of gasoline and you live in a Northern climate, you will sacrifice comfort and I don't care what anyone says, a seat heater will not keep your hands or face warm, only your ass. I have learned to toggle between all the modes to maximize economy and comfort during the winter months.

I'm doing about the same thing this winter, trying to find the correct balance.  I find starting in EV later to warm the engine out of the garage seems to work best.  The ICE is going to turn on to defrost my windows, so I might as well get it done early and increase my comfort level.  I switch to EV later when I see the temp gauge in the operating range.  Anyone have any different results?

Tim, Do you use Go times with an L2 charger?  I'm using the factory level 1 and it really doesn't do much to preheat the car, but I can't justify buying a L2 with gas at $2.39/gal right now (and the L1 charger is fine for the overnight charges given my driving pattern).

I have blocked my middle grill with foam pipe insulators to help keep the coolant warm.  It looks like the top grill directs a lot more air into the engine compartment but I haven't figured out how to best block that one.  My lower grill is still unblocked as I have my front plate mounted upside down and that make blocking it difficult.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·