Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Advice Needed, Considering a Used Fleet Car

buying a used fleet car fleet car used fleet

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   miboje

miboje

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 211 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationPA
  • My C-MAX:2014
  • Current Vehicle:Ford C-Max Energi, Ford F-350 SD w/ 6.0 PSD

Posted 16 September 2017 - 06:46 AM

A little backstory: My 20 year old daughter wrecked her 2015 Fiesta earlier this year. Once the loan was paid she had a little more than enough left over to pay her insurance for 6 mos, so she's been working on saving up another downpayment. In the meantime she had borrowed a car to get back and forth to work, and a few weeks later the transmission appears to be going out in the friend's car. So she asked to borrow our Energi and fell in love with it. I've been helping a ton with trying to find a nice CPO and found a '14 with less than 40,000 miles, 302A with pano roof. You can see it here-http://www.maguiresh...medium=referral

What concerns me is that it was a fleet vehicle, and there is no service history available, and the Ford Field Service Action is showing this-

https://owner.ford.c...ls/results.html

Does this mean that the modem has NOT been replaced? Because I asked the dealer if all the recall work has been done, to which they said YES.

Can anyone give me a hand with this? And is this a good deal since this was a fleet vehicle?

Thank you.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   malaugh

malaugh

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationSan Diego
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi

Posted 16 September 2017 - 03:09 PM

Looks like a good deal to me.  Its low mileage, and is well, equipped (same as mine) with the updated  stereo, rear view camera, Navigation and Panaramic roof.  Same equipment as mine. Pana roof cars are pretty rare. If its a CPO, then the modem should not be an issue, just have the dealer install the new one if its not already been done.  Fleet vehicle concerns me also. but if its not a car rental, the mileage is low, and its not the type of car that gets thrashed, so you should be OK. 

• miboje likes this

#3 OFFLINE   miboje

miboje

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 16 September 2017 - 03:57 PM

Looks like a good deal to me.  Its low mileage, and is well, equipped (same as mine) with the updated  stereo, rear view camera, Navigation and Panaramic roof.  Same equipment as mine. Pana roof cars are pretty rare. If its a CPO, then the modem should not be an issue, just have the dealer install the new one if its not already been done.  Fleet vehicle concerns me also. but if its not a car rental, the mileage is low, and its not the type of car that gets thrashed, so you should be OK. 

Hi Malaugh - Thank you so much for replying. The thing is that we have to travel an hour away to see the car, so if the modem has not been replaced, then that's another trip there and back. On the other hand, perhaps I can say I will accept the car without this recall work done (though not sure that should be allowed on a CPO) in exchange for a lower price?

It looks like we have to wait to see the Carfax when we go to see the car, so that is when i will find out if it was a car rental or not. I would imagine that most people who would rent this car would likely not be the type to thrash it. But who knows.

Edited by miboje, 16 September 2017 - 04:00 PM.

#4 OFFLINE   cr08

cr08

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 195 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ice Storm C-Max Energi

Posted 16 September 2017 - 05:01 PM

According to a brief check all I see listed on Ford's own site is the 12M02 recall. All that is is a warranty extension for the MyFordTouch APIM. So it isn't anything that -needs- to be worked on but if in the future something happens that it needs to be worked on or replaced, that warranty extension will cover it.

Looks like there's no mention of the modem recall or door latch recalls so they both should be taken care of.

I also think it is a pretty good snag with the low mileage and all the options. If it was me and it is clean and a test drive goes well, it'd be a great choice IMHO.

• miboje likes this

#5 OFFLINE   miboje

miboje

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 17 September 2017 - 03:38 PM

According to a brief check all I see listed on Ford's own site is the 12M02 recall. All that is is a warranty extension for the MyFordTouch APIM. So it isn't anything that -needs- to be worked on but if in the future something happens that it needs to be worked on or replaced, that warranty extension will cover it.

Looks like there's no mention of the modem recall or door latch recalls so they both should be taken care of.

I also think it is a pretty good snag with the low mileage and all the options. If it was me and it is clean and a test drive goes well, it'd be a great choice IMHO.

Cr08 - Thank you for the reply. Ok, thanks for clarifying for me that there are no outstanding recalls. We go this coming Tuesday to do a test drive.

I found this car on Cargurus rather than the Ford CPO website. For some reason the car is not listed there, which concerns my husband that it's not really a CPO. On Cargurus, I noticed the car's price has been changed 8 times with the price being down to $14,467 the last time, then they raised it to $14,700. Would any of you try to get that car at the lesser price? It's been on the lot almost 2 months.

Thanks!

• rmg21 likes this

#6 OFFLINE   sporkinum

sporkinum

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 135 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mississippi Valley
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 18 September 2017 - 10:42 AM

If it is fleet, it probably was rarely plugged in and may have a great battery. The modem really isn't a recall, they call it something else, and there are other steps that need to be accomplished after the modem replacement to get it to work properly. My car quit reporting into mfm when we would leave the local area. BTW, I paid $15k for mine last December with 303a and pano. It had 15k miles on it, so you are in the ball park price wise..

Good luck!

#7 OFFLINE   miboje

miboje

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 18 September 2017 - 02:16 PM

Sporkinum- Thanks for the reply. Hopefully the battery is good. I have asked the dealership to charge it and tell me what the projected range is, but they have refused saying it will be charged when we get there.

Our MFM has not worked ever since they changed out the modem. I had read on here that some people were not having any issues after the replacement. Once we finally get our car back, I will try pulling the fuse #67 and pray that works. I really miss MFM. I should be able to tell if this car's MFM and modem are connected by way of seeing if the charge scheduling is functioning. It's not in our car.

Was yours a CPO?

If it is fleet, it probably was rarely plugged in and may have a great battery. The modem really isn't a recall, they call it something else, and there are other steps that need to be accomplished after the modem replacement to get it to work properly. My car quit reporting into mfm when we would leave the local area. BTW, I paid $15k for mine last December with 303a and pano. It had 15k miles on it, so you are in the ball park price wise..

Good luck!

Edited by miboje, 18 September 2017 - 02:17 PM.

#8 OFFLINE   miboje

miboje

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 18 September 2017 - 03:25 PM

They just dropped the price to $13,999 from $14,701. That is what we were going to offer them for it. Hopefully everything is good with the car.

#9 OFFLINE   miboje

miboje

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 20 September 2017 - 10:22 AM

So we got the car. It had an amazing amount of scratches. The car had been buffed out. That was strange. Then the paint was all chipped off at the top back of the door frame on both front doors, inside, as if someone tried to break into it at the door corners. They are sending some touch up paint to take care of that. They had standard all season tires on the car. Apparently they didn't know the car came with LRR tires. We did find out the car was an Enterprise rental.

She drove it to work today on a full charge, and it read 5.7 kWh, which (I think) indicates that the battery has not lost any capacity. What was weird was the charge cord housing and wrap thingie looked pretty beat up, which made me think it was used pretty hard. I honestly can't think of any reason it would look like that. The wrap thingie was actually broken and a piece of it was missing! How would you do that? They did not have the car charged when we got there per my specification. I was pretty upset about that because we wanted to test the battery capacity, but it looks like capacity is fine. I do not recommend this dealer. Unfortunately she really needed a car and there were only 3 of these within 200 miles of us,and this was the best one for the money.

#10 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,157 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 20 September 2017 - 10:47 AM

Since it was a rental car, I doubt it was charged that much at all.  Its possible the dealer supplied you with a replacement charger, as the one for the car was probably long lost or stolen.  The chips on the doors may be from people opening the doors into walls or other cars?  Just guessing on that one.

How many miles on the car now?  At 5.7kwh that's great with 1 charge, that's about all I get with my new titanium 2017.  She should be able to get over 30 miles with that easily.

-=>Raja.

• miboje likes this

#11 OFFLINE   miboje

miboje

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 20 September 2017 - 11:03 AM

Since it was a rental car, I doubt it was charged that much at all.  Its possible the dealer supplied you with a replacement charger, as the one for the car was probably long lost or stolen.  The chips on the doors may be from people opening the doors into walls or other cars?  Just guessing on that one.

How many miles on the car now?  At 5.7kwh that's great with 1 charge, that's about all I get with my new titanium 2017.  She should be able to get over 30 miles with that easily.

-=>Raja.

Hi Raja - Well it is possible that they did supply a replacement charge cord, but I don't understand how it could get so beat up either way. Yes, the car came from Long Island, and I think cities are probably hard on cars. I live in the boonies. What made the car scratches appear even worse was the fact that they went over it with white buffing compound which filled every scratch and made it stand out against the black. Not a good impression for a prospective buyer.

The car has 35,000 miles. She is a new to efficient driving, so not super skilled yet, but I've been working with her. She did not shut the car off as soon as she ran out of battery. She sent a screenshot, which says 27.9 ev miles, with 4.2 regen, so she got 23.7 out of the battery. I think I calculated that right, yes?

#12 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,157 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 20 September 2017 - 11:37 AM

Hi miboje (sorry forgot your name!)

No if its 27.9 ev miles than that's what it is, you don't subtract regen miles, those are also EV miles from going downhills for example.

Can you upload the picture of the screenshot she sent?   Did she reset the trip meter before leaving the house?

35k miles the battery has a good chance to be very good, yes.  Especially if it wasn't charged much.  Paint is not as much as a deal, I would value the battery more than the paint job, looks like you made out in that regard.   :smile2:   What year is the car?

If you get a chance post some pictures of it, and perhaps of the doors and scratches, just interested to take a look at what you're talking about.

All the best,

-=>Raja.

#13 OFFLINE   miboje

miboje

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 20 September 2017 - 12:58 PM

Hi Raja. My name is Bobbi.

Thanks for clarifying that math for me. I am sure she does not know about the trip meter yet, so that's a no. Yes, I told her not to worry about that paint. Meguiar's makes a black paste wax that will fill in those scratches. They gave it a quick wash and detail before we left with it, so I am not sure if you can still see all the scratches or not. I will check with her.

Attached Files

Edited by miboje, 20 September 2017 - 01:07 PM.

#14 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,157 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 20 September 2017 - 01:13 PM

Looks like she used up the whole battery plus the hybrid and then the engine started for 0.12 gallons worth.  Nevertheless, that looks really good Bobbi, you can't ask for a better HVB than that!  With the engine running, I'd estimate EV miles to be just less than 27, as the engine adds EV miles to the mix.  In any case there is room for improvement in driving score, brake score, etc. and with 5.7kwh available to her, a perfect drive should yield close to 37 miles EV range, here is one of my trips like that about a month ago...

-=>Raja.

Attached Files

Edited by rbort, 20 September 2017 - 01:14 PM.

• miboje likes this

#15 OFFLINE   miboje

miboje

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 20 September 2017 - 01:36 PM

Yes, she will continue to improve her numbers, I am sure. I will show her your numbers. Amazing!

I noticed reading in the forum that you lost your first Cmax. At least no one was hurt, and you got a brand new one out of the deal. I am sorry for your loss, and happy for you to receive a new car with an amazing battery!

#16 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,157 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 20 September 2017 - 06:36 PM

Yes first thing to tell her (as you well know I'm sure) is to make all her coach bars full blue.  If you can do that then she will make 30+ miles EV range guaranteed.

Yes unfortunately my blue baby got hit twice in 6 days, two different accidents, the 2nd one the night before I'm taking it in to get fixed for the first one.  Both other party was 100% at fault and I ended up collecting $$$s from both and they totaled the car.  Went to the auction, it was "a hot lot" lots of new bidders came in to buy it, (seven of them, NY, CT, NJ, TX, CA, Hungary and Jordan) and a person from Hungary won it for $5200.   I hope to see Maxie again some day, maybe would be in Hungary.

And, from all that, I ended up with a white 2017 titanium, with all the options, which I now call Angel.

Even though I had to option to switch, to get something else, a volt, a bolt, a Fusion, a Prius Prime, etc, I loved the Cmax so much I was afraid if I got something else to be different I would miss my Cmax, and I'm very happy that I didn't as I love Angel just as much as Maxie and happy to start over with a new HVB.

-=>Raja.

Edited by rbort, 20 September 2017 - 06:38 PM.

• miboje likes this

#17 OFFLINE   miboje

miboje

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 23 September 2017 - 05:49 AM

Raja - I will continue to work with her on driving more efficiently. One of the things holding back the car's optimum efficiency is the fact that someone put on standard tires instead of LRR. I wasn't happy about it, but told her those tires will probably get her though the winter at least, and she should look to replace them. Her work is evening shift too, so she's always going to be using the headlights at night, so that will effect her efficiency as well as needing to keep the windshield from fogging up in cold evenings. She does know to cycle the climate controls rather than leaving them on. She figured that one out herself while driving my car.

Well, I have to say Raja...I may have been very tempted to go for the Bolt if I had the chance, but I totally understand why you stayed with the Cmax as well.

Edited by miboje, 23 September 2017 - 05:50 AM.

#18 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,157 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 23 September 2017 - 07:26 PM

Hi Bobbi:

I did test drive the bolt.  While I liked it much better than the volt, more roomy and higher up inside, I still think the Cmax quality on the inside is better, like its a step up more luxurious.

Also, I am in NY this weekend.  I can't help but think how convenient the Cmax is.  I had 7/8th tank of fuel when I left home.  I drove to Enfield CT, then to Ryebrook, then back to Stamford, and today to Brooklyn and back to Ryebrook and now to Stamford where I'm staying.  I STILL have 5/8th tank of fuel and I am charging here once a night and using all the EV miles for NY city traffic.

This car really kills it for convenience, MPG and range.  The bolt is nice for in state use, but start leaving the state and it becomes a little less flexible.  Nice idea though, similar to the Tesla, but doesn't fit my driving style as much as the Cmax does.

I know some people can't take it, but I dress like I'm going skiing in the winter and just crack both front windows 1/2 inch and that's enough to not let any windows fog up with no heat or climate control on.

-=>Raja.

Edited by rbort, 23 September 2017 - 07:29 PM.

• miboje likes this

#19 OFFLINE   miboje

miboje

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 24 September 2017 - 05:11 AM

Raja - I do see and agree with all your points on the Cmax. Someone else had commented about the quality on the Bolt not being on par with our cars, and I agree that our car has the built in advantage of having zero range anxiety. I think it really will come down to what fits a individual's needs the most, and this car works best for you. I only wish we had about 150 miles of range to fit our needs a bit better. Otherwise, the car is perfect.

My husband drives our car back and forth to work. While it does seem to work to keep the windows cracked to stave off moisture build up in the car when it's just one person in it, when we have 4 people in the car it is not effective and the kids complain about being cold. I have told them they have to stop breathing because they are steaming up my windows, but they don't cooperate. LOL.

#20 OFFLINE   sporkinum

sporkinum

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 135 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mississippi Valley
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 24 September 2017 - 07:45 PM

Glad to hear she got the car. Hope everything works out for you. Look at some of my old messages about MFM not working. There was a specific thing they had to do to get it to work right. The messages have the procedure code that Ford followed. Sorry I don't remember them. And yes, you have a great battery! The range of this car is awesome for the way we use it. We are still using the same tank we used when we went to Chester Illinois for the eclipse. Going to have to actually put some gas in it this week for a 150 mile round trip. Probably won't fill it for another month or two.

• miboje likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·