Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Minor frustrations with 2017 Sync 3

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   marlowefamily

marlowefamily

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 51 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationSan Diego
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:2017 Energi Titanium w/ Moonroof

Posted 14 September 2017 - 02:29 PM

I pretty much love everything about the CMAX Energi Ttiantium 2017, except for the sync3.    Yes, the builtin nav and xmradio is decent....but otherwise:

* Despite pairing via bluetooth and going through hoops, the vehicle health report function never seems to work regardless of which android device I use.

* I can not get a stable wifi connection to the home access point from the driveway

* My wifi hotspot for travel is not accepted by Sync3 because the SSID isn't broadcast (hidden network), there is no way to add a hidden network to the sync3.  All of my other devices support hidden networks - this is the first device I've seen in years that doesn't support it.

* As I get older, my eyes prefer working with tablets rather than mobile phones.  I have phone calls and SMS forwarded to my tablet (via skype/google) and generally don't bring my phone with me when driving 

* the wifi hotspot is tiny and ensures I never lose calls/connections.  But the myfordmobile app seems to have some limitation on google play that allows installation only to android phones, not tablets.  I'm pretty much just using the myfordmobile website now.

* When one clicks on show version info in sync3 in order to know what 'software' is installed, there are 3-4 different version numbers shown and none of them seem to follow modern naming conventions that emphasize date of release -- I wish ford would just Microsoft's lead and use year-month so that I could quickly check how old the software on the sync3 is.

* I know the embedded modem in the car isn't high speed and pretty much reserved for occasional short updates on the vehicle status, but it seems wierd that Ford isn't using it to deliver software and map updates to the car.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   GlennR

GlennR

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 74 posts
  • Region:Canada Ontario
  • LocationBrampton
  • My C-MAX:2016
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi 2016

Posted 14 September 2017 - 04:16 PM

I seem to do fine with an iPhone, my wife less so with her Android phone.

#3 OFFLINE   cr08

cr08

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 165 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ice Storm C-Max Energi

Posted 14 September 2017 - 04:49 PM

Sync 3 no longer has the traditional VHR setup like Sync 2. I don't think anyone has any information on what'll replace it on v3

While I'm not sure on the core or the hidden SSID issue, hidden SSIDs are a very poor 'security' option if that is what you are going for. Anyone with a grain of knowledge of Wifi or a run of the mill Android/iOS app will be able to find it anyways. Just keep it visible and use a good key. I have read in the past of various devices being finicky about hidden SSIDs so not a surprise. And based on just a quick cursory search it isn't a legit feature in the Wifi spec and more proprietary/'hacked on' so there is that.

Signal range I'm not too surprised about. The antenna is likely just a simple PCB antenna in the APIM buried in the dash. My v2 unit has a very poor signal in my attached garage two rooms away.

Regarding system updates using the TCU: Likely just a cost saving measure. It's assumed you are going to have Wifi access or be able to update via USB. And these will be sizable updates usng up a bit of data that Ford would have to pay for.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·