Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

OBDII bluetooth

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Milkman

Milkman

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 59 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationKy between Dead Horse Holler and Yellowbank
  • My C-MAX:2014
  • Current Vehicle:C-max Energi, Prius, Lexus

Posted 03 September 2017 - 03:12 PM

I have an OBDII bluetooth that I have used on my other two cars, I plugged it into the C-Max and was expecting it to pair to my android phone. The left screen started showing system checks, going through several items then repeating cycle. I unplugged the reader and decided I'd ask here on how to make it work with the C-Max. Later I had to go out and I noticed the CEL was on. When I returned, I disconnected the 12v battery and reconnected it, the CEL is still on. How long do I need to leave the 12v disconnected or is there another way to turn the CEL  off?

Another question I have, I just bought the '14 C-Max with 99.200 miles, it had been at the dealer for at least 90 days. The first time I charged it, it showed 16 miles EV, then after the second charge it shows 19 miles, is this range normal or has it lost some capacity? I'm familiar with hybrids, but my first plug in hybrid so have lots of learning to do. Thanks for any help.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   stolenmoment

stolenmoment

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 336 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationBoston
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:Maxwell Smart

Posted 04 September 2017 - 07:12 AM

I can't help with the first point, but the range displayed is an estimate based on your recent driving; mine ranges from 20 to 26 on a full charge ('13 model), and if I've recently tried to hypermile, it goes higher than that.  Turning various accessories on and off can change that by multiple miles.

The common name for the range estimate is GoM, or Guess-o-Meter.  It can't really be counted on.

#3 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,237 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 04 September 2017 - 07:52 AM

Past performance predicts future range.  If you spend alot of time going up hills, range will go down on the next charge.  If you go downhill alot, it will go up.  Its based on your MPGe performance basically, and like stolenmoment says, also on use of accessories.

Best thing you can do to check capacity is reset the trip meter after a full charge and drive the car nice and easy until you use up the entire battery and can't move any more without starting the engine (look at empower screen blue bar threshold limit).  Once there check your kwh used out of the battery to tell.

You can still count on the guess oh meter, its pretty good as it updates live all the time.  In other words if you are 20 miles from your destination and have 18 miles of battery left, drive a little better and you'll make it.  If you have 22 miles range and 20 miles to get there, you can afford a little bit more speed or whatnot.  I use it all the time its good wouldn't say its useless.

-=>Raja.

Edited by rbort, 04 September 2017 - 08:07 AM.

• Milkman likes this

#4 OFFLINE   Levi Smith

Levi Smith

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • PipPip
  • 919 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 303A W Panoramic Roof

Posted 04 September 2017 - 09:16 AM

I have an OBDII bluetooth that I have used on my other two cars, I plugged it into the C-Max and was expecting it to pair to my android phone. The left screen started showing system checks, going through several items then repeating cycle. I unplugged the reader and decided I'd ask here on how to make it work with the C-Max. Later I had to go out and I noticed the CEL was on. When I returned, I disconnected the 12v battery and reconnected it, the CEL is still on. How long do I need to leave the 12v disconnected or is there another way to turn the CEL  off?

Another question I have, I just bought the '14 C-Max with 99.200 miles, it had been at the dealer for at least 90 days. The first time I charged it, it showed 16 miles EV, then after the second charge it shows 19 miles, is this range normal or has it lost some capacity? I'm familiar with hybrids, but my first plug in hybrid so have lots of learning to do. Thanks for any help.

You should be able to use the ODBII reader on your C-Max.  I've got a couple of those readers I've used on my 2013.  Never had the experience that you did.

However, I'll note a couple things:

-There are 2 ODB ports.  One behind the panel all the way to the left.  Another with no cover that's somewhere more or less directly above the brake pedal.

-I think there are sometimes some odd things that go on in the C-Max's multitude of components/systems.  I know when I got mine I could not get the Vehicle Health Report to work.  It would always fail at some point.  Ford either told me they had no answer or that the error was related to an ODB adapter plugged in(which none were).  I FINALLY got the VHR to run after I tried it WITH my ODB adapter plugged in...

So, personally I'd try the adapter again and try both ports(though I've yet to find any difference between them).  And see if you can get your adapter to clear the CEL.  Though there shouldn't be any error/info stuff popping up on the left screen at all...

• ptjones likes this

#5 OFFLINE   Milkman

Milkman

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 59 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 03:24 AM

Thanks guys, after your responses, I think the reason the miles was low is because the car was at the dealer several months and a lot of different drivers. They put 5000 miles on the car since first posted on the internet, their ad stated 94K miles and when I first looked at it, there was 99K showing. I will try the OBDII under the dash next time, do I have the car in "ready" or on "acc" when I use the reader?

#6 OFFLINE   jzchen

jzchen

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 552 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationArcadia, CA
  • My C-MAX:None
  • Current Vehicle:2018 Honda Clarity PHEV

Posted 05 September 2017 - 03:27 AM

Some CELs, if no longer present, will go away after 3 or so start stop cycles. Otherwise I'd try to check what it is indicating. Can try FORScan with your adapter to try to see.

It could be diminished capacity. I found if I drive the car some, I can get the range into the low 20s (miles) with more gentle driving habits. (It's my wife's car. Not gonna worry about battery capacity until it is more severe, personally).

Edited by jzchen, 05 September 2017 - 03:28 AM.

#7 OFFLINE   Milkman

Milkman

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 59 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 04:02 AM

Thanks, I forgot to mention that I disconnected the 12v for about 5 minutes and the CEL is now off.

#8 OFFLINE   Levi Smith

Levi Smith

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • PipPip
  • 919 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 303A W Panoramic Roof

Posted 05 September 2017 - 04:14 AM

do I have the car in "ready" or on "acc" when I use the reader?

You'll want the car "Ready" or otherwise fully on, ready to drive.  

• Milkman likes this

#9 OFFLINE   Rusty

Rusty

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX Energi

Posted 10 December 2018 - 11:05 AM

Jumping here with a related question. My CEL is on/off intermittently on my 2013 CMax Energi (comes on right when the hybrid battery drains to the point of the engine kicking in, but goes off once car is restarted). So before taking to the dealer or mechanic, I want to pull the codes first to see if it is something simple. Any recommendations on a OBDII scanner that is around $100 that will read codes and all DTCs? I'm hoping for something that will read all codes, not just the basic DOT required codes. And if the scanner can be used for driving diagnostics and such, all the better. Bluetooth is cool, but not necessary.

As for battery milage, I'm only getting 10 mile range, if that. Bought the car used so not sure what it was in the past.  Anyway to check battery capacity health? 

Thanks,

Rusty

#10 OFFLINE   GS Dave

GS Dave

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 184 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationJupiter, FL
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi

Posted 10 December 2018 - 01:34 PM

I use an ELM327 wifi version(I have both bluetooth and wifi and prefer wifi) and use a free app called Carista(I use Apple product).  For Android I prefer Torque.  Both Carista and Torque are free.  The ELMs run for $10-20 on Amazon.  Can read and reset codes on either program.

#11 OFFLINE   plus 3 golfer

plus 3 golfer

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationUnited States
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Hybrid SEL

Posted 10 December 2018 - 08:28 PM

You need the ForScan APP as it is specific to Ford and will scan all modules and PIDs. You can get a cheap ELM327 but if you want one to scan HS and MS CANs automatically and virtually never lose connection, get the OBDlink MX. I have a cheap WiFi and cheap BT. I also have the MX which scans 3 to 4 times faster and has a sleep mode with a couple mA draw so you can leave it plugged in all the time.

Edited by plus 3 golfer, 10 December 2018 - 08:56 PM.

#12 OFFLINE   Rusty

Rusty

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 11 December 2018 - 10:20 AM

Thanks golfer. that's what I was looking for, a deep scanner compatible with iOS. Had to get the OBDLink MX+ for iOS compatibility, but I'm guessing the $100 will be a worthwhile investment. I like the sleep mode so it can be left in place without battery drain. And the ForScan (almost misread that the first time LOL), it looks like it will more than do the job. Now, if only that app could be loaded onto the car's system so it was available on the car's main screen...

Rusty

#13 OFFLINE   Tom_NC_1

Tom_NC_1

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,098 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNC
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 302a

Posted 11 December 2018 - 10:36 AM

Jumping here with a related question. My CEL is on/off intermittently on my 2013 CMax Energi (comes on right when the hybrid battery drains to the point of the engine kicking in, but goes off once car is restarted). So before taking to the dealer or mechanic, I want to pull the codes first to see if it is something simple. Any recommendations on a OBDII scanner that is around $100 that will read codes and all DTCs? I'm hoping for something that will read all codes, not just the basic DOT required codes. And if the scanner can be used for driving diagnostics and such, all the better. Bluetooth is cool, but not necessary.

As for battery milage, I'm only getting 10 mile range, if that. Bought the car used so not sure what it was in the past.  Anyway to check battery capacity health? 

Thanks,

Rusty

Have you tried to use the built in 'Engineering Test Mode' to list the DTC codes. 

Access the ‘Engineering test mode’, with the car off press the ‘OK’ button on the left side of the steering wheel. Press the brake then press the start button.  Hold the ‘OK’ button until ET was displayed in the top left corner in the left screen. This works when the car is plugged in or unplugged. Note that if the ‘OK’ button is pressed for too long the engineering test mode is cancelled.

Once the left screen displays the test mode display use the left steering wheel down arrow to cycle through the various screens. There is a DTC screen that should show any available current or historic retained DTC codes.

To exit the Engineering test mode screen press and hold the the left side steering wheel OK button until the normal screens return.

Tom

#14 OFFLINE   Rusty

Rusty

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 11 December 2018 - 03:29 PM

Thanks Tom. Did that and no DTC codes, current or past. 

R

#15 OFFLINE   plus 3 golfer

plus 3 golfer

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationUnited States
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Hybrid SEL

Posted 11 December 2018 - 06:08 PM

Thanks Tom. Did that and no DTC codes, current or past. 
R

Here’s a link that seems to show how the ETM codes relate to the OBDii format. http://fordcmaxhybri...b86/#entry44783

#16 OFFLINE   Rusty

Rusty

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 13 December 2018 - 02:15 PM

Well, got my OBDLink MX+ in the mail and hooked it up. Downloaded the ForScan app for the iPhone, but alas could not get the MX+ to communicate with the ForScan app. No problem connecting the scanner to the phone via BT, or running the ForScan app on my iPhone, but apparently the ForScan app has not yet released the update to their app to accomodate the new chip in the MX+. The regular MX works just fine, but is not iOS compatible. So, I either wait until ForScan releases MX+ compatible update, or return the MX+ and try to find another ELM327 scanner that is both compatible with iOS (if running it via BT) and ForScan Lite for iOS.  :whistling:  :whistling:  :whistling:  :whistling:  :whistling:

Question - does ForScan offer any tools specific to the Energi or for monitoring the EV operations? The OBDLink MX+ app works on iOS just fine, but seems pretty basic and not specific to an EV. There is an "Extra" OBDLink download for a Ford vehicle, but if it's not giving any tools for EV, then probably no need to download. 

Rusty

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·