Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Anyone replace their own battery?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   CodeOfLife

CodeOfLife

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationGeorgia
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:Decline

Posted 28 August 2017 - 07:37 AM

Anyone replaced the high voltage battery themselves or through a third party mechanic?

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   fotomoto

fotomoto

Energi Member

• 1,184 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationSouth Texas
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX

Posted 29 August 2017 - 07:35 PM

Obviously from the lack of answers, no.  We've had some concerns with capacity reduction but the pack has proven otherwise to be bulletproof.  Even so, any replacement would be handled by a dealer since even 2013's are still under warranty.

Why?

#3 OFFLINE   CodeOfLife

CodeOfLife

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 30 August 2017 - 02:56 PM

If my capacity were to drop by 50% and seeing as ford doesn't warranty capacity, the solution if you wish to restore the capacity is to buy a battery from a wrecked car and replace it yourself.

#4 OFFLINE   fotomoto

fotomoto

Energi Member

• 1,184 posts
  • LocationSouth Texas

Posted 30 August 2017 - 03:51 PM

Ahh.  Well I'll wish you luck as folks have been doing this (or trying to) for years with Prius batteries and the salvage businesses quickly picked up on how valuable they are.  So finding one for pennies on the dollar from an unknowing, old school scrapper is pretty much a unicorn nowadays.

I've changed out the Prius battery several times and that one is pretty straight forward.  Unplug safety interlock FIRST and proceed unbolting it after removing plastic interior pieces.  Electrical safety gloves are  highly recommended and a meter is mandatory.   Orange cables are HV and eventually will need to be disconnected from the battery so you need to be damn sure they are dead.  Oh, it will be a HEAVY sucker; I'd try using an engine hoist.  If you do do it, document it with pics or video as you'll probably be one of the first.

#5 OFFLINE   komondor

komondor

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 410 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • Locationdenver
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX Energi

Posted 30 August 2017 - 05:07 PM

https://greentecauto...cid=11&scid=103

View as Grid List
0000566_ford-c-max-2013-2014-hybrid-batt
Ford C-Max (2013-2014) Hybrid Battery Pack With New Generation Cells
36 Months Unlimited Mileage Warranty
$3,250.00
0000567_ford-c-max-2013-2014-rebuilt-hyb
Ford C-Max (2013-2014) Rebuilt Hybrid Battery
18 Months Unlimited Mileage Warranty
$2,495.00

#6 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,805 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 30 August 2017 - 05:45 PM

The best way to do this if you go through the trouble of taking the old battery pack out is to replace all the cells with new ones.  Its not worth the effort to replace it with another used pack from the junk yard.  I mean if you have a pack that is getting old and putting out say 4.2kwh, replacing it with another used one maybe gets you 5.2kwh if it was treated very well, and even then it might be 1/2 life gone already so instead of 4 good years you might only get 2 out of it.  Just saying.

Ideally replacing the pack would allow you to put in one with bigger capacity even though it has the same size cells physically and you get up with more charging time and more range than you originally had.  That would be well worth the effort.

-=>Raja.

#7 OFFLINE   fotomoto

fotomoto

Energi Member

• 1,184 posts
  • LocationSouth Texas

Posted 30 August 2017 - 06:04 PM

Those are for the CMax hybrid not the Energi so not exactly an upgrade. :lol: 

Anyways, greentec promotes the same "new generation cells" for the Prius.  Sounds great and a much better buy except no one sells new Toyota (prime earth formerly panasonic) cells so it's disingenuous marketing at best.  Some other aftermarket companies are now buying chinese knockoff's off alibaba and packaging those as new Prius batteries.  Buyer beware.

#8 OFFLINE   fotomoto

fotomoto

Energi Member

• 1,184 posts
  • LocationSouth Texas

Posted 01 September 2017 - 03:46 PM

Code,

On another forum, one fellow says he's been searching area craigslists for folks looking to part out cars and has found some cheap batteries that way.  Hope he isn't looking for Energi batteries because he's right next door in SC.  

GOOD LUCK!

#9 OFFLINE   CodeOfLife

CodeOfLife

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 01 September 2017 - 06:43 PM

I've seen the batteries on eBay for less than 2k and from salvage yards for around 1.2-1.5k.

#10 OFFLINE   CodeOfLife

CodeOfLife

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 01 September 2017 - 06:45 PM

It would also be straightforward to hook up two sets of batteries together by pairing up the cells allowing for the cars bms to balance it. Making it look good and structurally sound is the hard part.

#11 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,805 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 01 September 2017 - 06:52 PM

Again, you're buying one from a salvage yard you have no idea how good or bad that battery is.  Its a crap shoot like throwing darts in the dark.  And if its an older one, its never going to be a like new capacity, you're always going to have some loss of capacity.

So you take out yours and put in the one you got from the yard, after all that work, and hope and pray that you'll have a better battery I guess, at least for a little while.

I still think if you're going to go through the trouble of replacing the battery, then get some new cells, install them in your battery pack, and rebuild it so to speak.

At least that way you know you're going to start out with a new pack.

-=>Raja.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·