Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Windshield stone chip, repair or replace?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   GlennR

GlennR

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 80 posts
  • Region:Canada Ontario
  • LocationBrampton
  • My C-MAX:2016
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi 2016

Posted 20 August 2017 - 01:16 PM

While driving on a paved four lane highway I was still unlucky enough to have a passing car find and fling a chunk of gravel at my windshield. The chip is right at my eye level, slightly left of center of view for the driver. I don't know what my insurance will cover but as far as I'm concerned anything other than a full replacement is going to leave a distraction whenever I'm driving.

It's 3 inches from the center of the driver's view and exactly my eye level.

Has anyone here had their windscreen replaced? What's involved with all the sensors mounted on the window?

Thanks,
Glenn

Attached Files

Edited by GlennR, 20 August 2017 - 02:23 PM.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,129 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 20 August 2017 - 01:46 PM

I had a chip in my 2013 window to the left almost next to the a pillar. I chose to have it 'fixed' and not replaced as I felt better about not tearing out the factory windshield. All they did was 'fill the crack' so it wouldn't spread, it never did in a couple+ years.

You have to decide whether the crack bugs you enough or not, how big is it? How about a picture?

-=>Raja.

#3 OFFLINE   Tom_NC_1

Tom_NC_1

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,077 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNC
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 302a

Posted 20 August 2017 - 02:54 PM

I had a similar size chip in my windshield that I have ignored for a couple of years. It has not gotten any bigger. I recently got a second chip that is more directly in the driver viewing area and is slightly more distracting. I've not yet investigated replacement. I might wait to see if it also remains the same size. 

Tom

#4 OFFLINE   dontfret

dontfret

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 426 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationUnited States
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX Energi

Posted 21 August 2017 - 10:02 AM

On a previous (not-Cmax) car had a similar eye-level chip, less than 1/8" diameter but visually annoying.  Repaired it using the liquid filler that is optically same as auto glass, uses a syringe applicator that is held by suction cups directly over the chip.  It filled it and prevented any further spread for over 10 years.  $20 bucks versus replacement.  YMMV.

#5 OFFLINE   GlennR

GlennR

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 80 posts
  • LocationBrampton

Posted 23 August 2017 - 11:43 AM

I opted for a replacement using OEM glass from Carlite. I felt that it would be best to stick to the acoustic screen they make for Ford. The sensors work and the car looks just like it did in the car lot.

#6 OFFLINE   komondor

komondor

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 478 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • Locationdenver
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX Energi

Posted 23 August 2017 - 05:04 PM

My insurance company offers free chip repair with no deductible, so I would give them a call mine lasted a couple of years.

#7 OFFLINE   stewie316

stewie316

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationMichigan
  • My C-MAX:2014
  • Current Vehicle:Ford C-Max Energi Hybrid

Posted 15 September 2017 - 03:21 AM

That is why i leave a fair distance from trucks.  They are the worst when it comes to stones or chunks of asphault hitting the windscreen.  Of course everyone high and mighty will squeeze into the gap between the truck and you, but it's their car not mine. :)

Edited by stewie316, 15 September 2017 - 03:22 AM.

#8 OFFLINE   GlennR

GlennR

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 80 posts
  • LocationBrampton

Posted 15 September 2017 - 05:49 AM

That is why i leave a fair distance from trucks.  They are the worst when it comes to stones or chunks of asphault hitting the windscreen.  Of course everyone high and mighty will squeeze into the gap between the truck and you, but it's their car not mine. :)

Me too, however a SUV passed me in the second lane and managed to throw up a lone chunk of gravel. Paved road, no trucks, just bad luck.

#9 OFFLINE   GTIguy

GTIguy

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 75 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationDenver
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:2017 C-MAX Energi Titanium, 2014 C-Max Hybrid (daughter's car)

Posted 19 September 2017 - 09:26 AM

If that chip bothers you now, OP, it will continue to do so for a long, long time...until you get enough additional chips, pits, and sandblast marks that it begins to blend in. That's what happens here in windy, semi-arid Denver, anyway. 

I wouldn't repair it. Instead I'd hope the crack would spread until my insurance would approve a replacement. I have a low deductible, because I expect this to happen. The actual cost of a C-MAX windshield would be nice to know; it's certainly a big one.

Edited by GTIguy, 19 September 2017 - 09:26 AM.

#10 OFFLINE   trwarren

trwarren

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationSouthern California
  • Current Vehicle:CMax Energi

Posted 28 October 2017 - 04:21 AM

While traveling away from home in September got chip in windshield which began spreading (2013 Energi), so replacement was only option for me. Insurance company approved replacement with Ford windshield, (AGC not Carlite but it has acoustic sound screen - which original windshield didn't have - and same DOT ratings). Zero cost for me as comprehensive coverage has ACV so no deductible.

Attached Files

Edited by trwarren, 28 October 2017 - 04:24 AM.

#11 OFFLINE   viajero

viajero

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 579 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationAustin TX
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi

Posted 28 October 2017 - 09:14 AM

I got a rock chip within a couple weeks of getting my brand new 2013 C-Max.  A crack started growing immediately.  A windshield repair shop drilled the end of the crack and filled it all with some sort of resin.  The whole thing became nearly invisible and didn't spread any more during the almost 5 years I had the car.  You'll have to check with your insurance to see if they cover that sort of thing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·