Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Idea to cool car

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   sporkinum

sporkinum

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 123 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mississippi Valley
  • LocationIllinois
  • My C-MAX:2014
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi

Posted 11 August 2017 - 07:43 AM

I was thinking that there might be a way to crack the windows to exhaust hot air automatically using the existing gadgets in the car.

I assume there is a temperature sensor on the HVB, since people are getting that info with scan-gauge. Using that, I wonder if the car could crack all 4 windows half an inch or so automatically so the hot air inside could escape. The auto setting could be a menu option of off or on only, to keep it simple. Could also use the rain sensor on the windshield to roll windows back up if raining also when temp has dropped sufficiently. Not just a C-Max thing, but any car with appropriate hardware could do this as well.

Idea from reading article about children left in hot cars.

• RubyMax likes this

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   cr08

cr08

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 98 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ice Storm C-Max Energi

Posted 11 August 2017 - 08:48 AM

Theoretically this is somewhat doable with the right hardware. Thankfully with the C-Max, all of that hardware is already communicating on one of the CAN buses. With the right know-how and barring how many of those functions are available while the car is off (rain sensor I am curious about. Window controls definitely should be given the global close option). In fact if you've ever checked out Amazon or Fleabay there are some 'Window closer' dongles for various vehicles. Really all they do is monitor the CAN bus for a signal saying that the keyfob lock command is being used and then turns around and sends a command to close all the windows.

Funny enough I've been running an idea through my brain recently of setting up a secondary blower to take hot air out of the car, specifically for the sake of battery temp while charging, and do so only when it is plugged in. I have one of those high CFM 12V marine blowers I purchased for another project that no longer needs it. Basic idea so far is to duct it out through the cabin exhaust (Usually a louvered vent behind the bumper on the driver side rear of the vehicle, used to equalize cabin air pressure to the outside). Then have an Arduino and CAN shield monitor for a) EVSE charging to go active and/or primary battery fan kicks on and b) The vehicle is stationary and ignition status is off. If those conditions are met, use a relay to turn on the secondary blower. At that time the 12V bat should be maintained so power drain is if no concern. Under all other conditions the whole setup should be in a low power sleep mode.

I wasn't originally going to post anything on it til I at least made some progress beyond the idea phase. The biggest hurdle is going to be tracking down all the necessary messages on the CAN bus which is going to be a very apt analogue to finding a needle in a haystack especially with our vehicles. That and there being multiple buses with different modules, knowing which one to tap into and hoping you don't have to do multiple is another thing.

• sporkinum likes this

#3 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,767 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 11 August 2017 - 02:35 PM

Why should it be so complicated?  I mean I applaud the idea, but why can't one just roll down all 4 windows like 1 inch, or maybe 1/2 inch if you think its going to rain.  At 1/2 inch the rain water won't even get into the car, and even if a couple of drops did, its only water.

In my garage I roll the windows down at least 1/2 way, as no-one is going to bother the car anyways.  On the street its 1 inch.

-=>Raja.

Edited by rbort, 11 August 2017 - 02:36 PM.

#4 OFFLINE   sporkinum

sporkinum

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 123 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mississippi Valley
  • LocationIllinois
  • My C-MAX:2014
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi

Posted 12 August 2017 - 06:52 AM

Because it's touchy to get the windows down the proper amount, and would make it easy to keep the car/battery cooler for forgetful people like me.

Also, I don't have a garage.

Edited by sporkinum, 12 August 2017 - 06:52 AM.

#5 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,767 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 12 August 2017 - 07:01 AM

Yeah they fixed that with the 2017 models, alot easier to move the windows a little bit without having them decide to roll all the way up or down.

-=>Raja.

#6 OFFLINE   cr08

cr08

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 98 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ice Storm C-Max Energi

Posted 12 August 2017 - 10:56 AM

There's also the issue of, for example, doing so parked in the garage at home. I fully take advantage of Go Times and would rather not have to babysit rolling down windows for charging and then rolling back up before bed and worrying about wasting energy heating/cooling an unconditioned garage. It's all about the personal energy/effort a person is willing to take.

In my car with the idea I posted the largest effort would be a one time thing with programming and the rest is set and forget.

Edited by cr08, 12 August 2017 - 10:57 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·