Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Front brake rotor and pad replacement

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bluefever

bluefever

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationLittleton,NH
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:cmax energi

Posted 07 August 2017 - 10:29 AM

I'm going to be replacing my front rotors and pads on my 2013 C-Max Energi soon. Has anyone on here done them? I was told I might need to pull the abs fuse or unhook the 12 volt battery because the caliper might activate. Is this true?

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   fotomoto

fotomoto

Energi Member

• 1,173 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationSouth Texas
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX

Posted 08 August 2017 - 06:08 PM

I don't have any personal experience with this on the CMax but disconnecting the 12v is the correct procedure for doing DIY brake work on the prius if you don't have access to the factory software/tools.  Basically you don't want the electric brake pump activating while working on the calipers so no 12v power to it eliminates that possibility. 

#3 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,725 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 08 August 2017 - 09:36 PM

Electric brake pump, doesn't that just run periodically to make pressure for the power brakes to work properly?  I mean it doesn't actually activate the brakes (squeeze the rotors), that wouldn't make any sense...

-=>Raja.

#4 OFFLINE   fotomoto

fotomoto

Energi Member

• 1,173 posts
  • LocationSouth Texas

Posted 09 August 2017 - 07:41 PM

Electric brake pump, doesn't that just run periodically to make pressure for the power brakes to work properly?  I mean it doesn't actually activate the brakes (squeeze the rotors), that wouldn't make any sense...

-=>Raja.

These are powered brakes.

If the 12v bus is hot and the driver door is opened, the electric brake pump will pressurize the system.  We've all heard that sound.  If the calipers are off the rotors, this pressure increase can push the pistons out of the calipers since there is little to no resistance and you'll have a big mess on your hands and a need to now bleed the system.    Bleeding the system on a hybrid typically needs special tools/software.

On the prius, there is an abs sensor that needs to be disconnected to remove the caliper or drum on older models and if the 12v bus is hot it will cause a serious (no go) fault until cleared.  Again, not sure about the CMax on this.

#5 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,725 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 10 August 2017 - 05:12 AM

What are you talking about Doug, what you're saying can only happen if someone pushes the brakes.  The little pump is the same as starting the engine with a regular car, its just to build the pressure for using the brakes but it doesn't in fact apply the brakes.

Anyway if you push the brake pedal the calipers will come out a little bit.  You need to push it several times to make them come out more and more.  You can use the C clamp to squeeze them back in, in fact you need to do that every time to replace the pads as the new ones are thicker.

There is no need to bleed anything unless you start disconnecting lines to replace the caliper for example.

-=>Raja.

• cr08 likes this

#6 OFFLINE   fotomoto

fotomoto

Energi Member

• 1,173 posts
  • LocationSouth Texas

Posted 10 August 2017 - 11:12 AM

Let me try it this way:  disconnecting the 12v is a simple and easy preventative measure when working on electric brakes just like placing a chock behind the rear wheel when raising the front end.  Is it absolutely necessary?  No.  Can one get by without doing it?  Yes.  

Personally after removing the worn pads, I push the pistons out further till I can see clean metal before thoroughly cleaning everything.  Then, I push the pistons back in to install the new, thicker pads.  No way do I want any brake assist "helping" me during this process.  If doing a flush or other types of brake system work and the factory tools/software aren't available to tell the corresponding ECU's to deactivate the component, then turning off the 12v bus is mandatory.  With the way that I drive, I'll need to do brake flushes long before pad replacements.

#7 OFFLINE   Joshg678

Joshg678

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 116 posts
  • LocationEarth
  • My C-MAX:2016
  • Current Vehicle:16 C-Max Hybrid SEL 302A

Posted 11 August 2017 - 06:51 PM

Not to change topics but on my 16 I've never heard the brake pump while the vehicle is off. I know the exact sound the brake pump makes. I suppose it's possible it has a really good seal and never needs pumping up when off as I never use them when car off.
I have heard the pumping sound from the rear many times.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·